Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Downhill 7018 LH
- - By okwelder82 (***) Date 10-13-2008 00:18
I just got back from taking a pipeline test in Louisiana. The fill and cap on the test was with a new rod Lincoln came out with, Its a Downhill 7018. It ran pretty good, almost like uphill LH but it stacked in pretty good. SAd to say but I busted the test, It was half a 24" on X80 and I undercut the bead. I think I could pass it if I took it again but I guess you live and learn.
Parent - - By Aka Date 10-14-2008 12:41
Hey okwelder82... glad to know that you liked the rod. I work for Lincoln and designed the rod so if you have any followup questions about the product, let me know. The official name for the rod is Pipeliner LH-D80, 90 or 100 (depending on what strength level you want) and the respective AWS classification is E8045-P2/9045-P2/10045-P2 H4R, which is a new classification that AWS recently introduced for downhill welding low hydrogen rods. Like you mentioned, the rod stacks pretty nice so if you are looking for a low hydrogen pipe deposit it is a very good option once you get used to the different welding technique. Welders have actually told me that once they get a hang of the exact adjustments required to weld it, they find it easier to weld than most other rods... almost a stringer bead, lay it in there kind of weld. And the productivity benefits are unbeatable. With more work going towards a low hydrogen deposit, I see a trend shaping up in the market. Hope you get another shot at the test. Cheers!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-14-2008 14:31 Edited 10-14-2008 14:42
[deleted]
Parent - - By Aka Date 10-14-2008 18:44 Edited 10-14-2008 18:49
I have not welded with the Philips rod (way before my time!) so cannot comment on that but you should bring this rod straight to the starting location, touch the weld end (the arc initiates upon touching) and don't spend too much time there... simply start moving once the arc is established and steady. Should not get any porosity, the key is keeping the arc tight during the starting and rest of the welding (just like a LH v-up). I usually prefer to keep the SA200 on high rev (same as you) and if my welder has a hot start, I keep it off since the hot start coating is already providing the hot start.
Try this latest durn thing and see if you can run a bead now. :-)
Amp ranges - 3.2mm: 140-170A, 4.0mm: 180-240A, 4.5mm: 200-260A (this rod likes to run hot!)
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-14-2008 21:53
[deleted]
Parent - By Aka Date 10-15-2008 12:24
I have seen welders be successful with no weave and with a slight weave, what you are referring to as a feather weave (I call it a 'junkie shake'). Even the rod position varies from person to person, although personally I like to keep it at about 80° from 2 to 4 'o' clock to keep the puddle up. I guess it boils down to personal preference. You have to find your own 'sweet spot'.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-14-2008 15:44
what is the average cost of a 50# box of these? do they come in smaller weight boxes? i wouldnt mind getting some to play with. i have heard of them before and saw them in a lincoln book but have never used them i heard they were fairly easy to burn
Parent - - By Aka Date 10-14-2008 18:48
These electrodes come in 10#EO cans/30# cartons only. Sorry but I do not have price info for you, you should contact your local distributor or sales rep. Any more details or if there is any confusion during the ordering part, feel free to pm me and we can touch base offline...
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 10-15-2008 04:56
Does anybody know the price on these rods? I'm like the rest of hands, price "Does" play a factor. Shad, quit playin around and get your *** to work.  Oh No I sound like your wife now OOPS.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-15-2008 07:32
no Brian you dont sound like her at all shes worried about my health haha im ready just need it to cool off some more
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 10-16-2008 16:14
10-4 glad to hear that you making progress. Like Ol' Waylon said "You can't keep a good man down"
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-16-2008 22:15
yup you know it yall loo out cause i'm comin for the money lol
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-16-2008 22:15
yup you know it yall look out cause i'm comin for the money lol
Parent - - By JHarlos (**) Date 10-14-2008 22:52
Salesman that suppling progressive told me bout these a few weeks back and said the price was way up there, said you wouldnt want to buy them your self.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-15-2008 07:34
they were pricey when i found out about them a year ago i could just imagine what they cost now guess i'll keep running them up hill
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 10-15-2008 14:22
The Inspector on that job for Progressive told us that they were somewhere around $200 for the 10lb can.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-15-2008 15:42
wow ouch i get 60 lbs boxes of e7018 for 90 i'll definitely keep running up
Parent - - By JHarlos (**) Date 10-15-2008 22:17
yeah thats about right
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-15-2008 22:36
The price I got was $6.68/lbs, that's about $200 per 30 lbs can. But it's unavailable right now according to Lincoln, they told my Prax guy they would have to make a batch, and no one could tell him how large of an order that requires.

Pipe rods are high tho. 8P+ in small quantities runs me about $3.46/lbs.

It's not so much what the consumables cost, it's how much you make using them.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Aka Date 10-16-2008 14:50 Edited 10-16-2008 14:53
Just a clarification... these rods come in 30# cartons (not 30# cans) with three 10# cans in each. They used to come in 60# cartons and we are transitioning to the new cartons so maybe that is where your Prax guy is confused. What size and type did you inquire about? If you are looking for small quantities, between the 30# or 60# cartons, we should have most sizes of each type (Pipeliner LH-D80, 90 and 100) in stock - we try to keep all our Pipeliner products in stock all the time. Sometimes we get hit with a large order that wipes us out but for the most part, thats the philosophy.

I applaud your last statement JTMcC, you're thinking about the big picture!
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-24-2008 19:51 Edited 10-24-2008 19:54
The local Community College's welding program had a welding bash/car show this week. Mr. Aka put me in contact with one of the Lincoln reps that was there, I talked to both of them and will be getting soon a sample of this new Lincoln DH LoHi. I'll add that the Lincoln dudes say that the rod IS in stock and available.

As an aside, several people on this forum have mentioned the new Vantage 500 in the small frame (same size as the V300/V400), I talked to the psyco Lincoln Arizona rep and he says they are out now, and he's sold 10 of them in Arizona. No Air option on them tho.

JTMcC.

I'll add that anyone in the welding education field might want to consider putting one of these on. I live in a rural community and the CC is in a small town but they had a real good turnout, lot's of very nice cars/trucks, hotrods, restored cars, unrestored cars, drag racers, desert racers, 4 wheelers, motorcycles as well. Lincoln was there, Miller and Hypertherm, Matco, local shops, several charities, the CC had tables for their other programs. Plus an open house of the welding shop which I'd never seen. Lincoln, Miller, and both of the plasma manufacturers had their stuff set up so people could demo their machines.
I really enjoyed it. There are a lot of young people coming into welding via the car/truck/motorcycle fields.
They had raffles thru the day, and a couple of seminars in the morning that I didn't go to bet they said they had good crowds. Something to think about.
They had some charity organization selling BBQ, great welding fun, I'd like to see these things all over the country.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Downhill 7018 LH