Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Starting The Journey - CWI
- - By Cain (*) Date 03-05-2003 17:56

Parent - - By Cain (*) Date 03-05-2003 18:03
Hello everyone,

I am helping our company move to AWS D1.1, developing WPS, implementing training through outside consultants, coordinating 12 in-house welding trainers, and establishing a welding lab to evaluate products and for micro-etching.

I am going to seminars, learning how to weld,..etc..

I want to know everything about welding: theory, metallurgy, code, & applications.

At some point I will be going after my CWI.

Does anyone have any old books or materials they do not want to use anymore or would loan to me for studying?

Thanks,
Cain Wooten
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-05-2003 18:22
I can't loan any books, but I can enroll you in my Fabricator Workshop.
Naturally I'll request a fee.
Parent - By Cain (*) Date 03-05-2003 19:10
Where are you located?
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-05-2003 18:31
There are usually lots of old welding books for sale on eBay (www.ebay.com) for reasonable prices. Lots of 2-10 books are often for sale and can go for only a few dollars a book sometimes.
Parent - - By Cain (*) Date 03-05-2003 19:10
Thanks!

What are the "must have books"?
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 03-05-2003 19:35
I have a few older books on Metallurgy, Welding practices, and a couple welding guides. If you will pay the shipping you can have them.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2003 13:18
If you plan to order very much from the AWS library, I would suggest becoming a member and taking advantage of the discount for members. I renewed and I believe it was $75 for the year and they also send you some magazines, Welding Journal, and Inspection Trends. If you go to "publications" on this site you will see the amount of discounts along side of the non-memebr prices and you can deside for yourself if it is worth it to your company. Code books for the code you are persuing are a must, and when you take your CWI, if you plan to attend the week long seminar, they will supply your library with alot of useful books. DGXL is on the west coast if you plan to attend his classes. AWS usually has those seminars the week before the test in a town near you if you are willing to wait for them. AWS has a schedule of seminars and testing in this site as well.
Good Luck with your test,
John Wright
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 03-06-2003 13:38
Internet is also a good sorce for free info. Check out these sites.

http://metals.about.com/cs/metallurgy/
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/
http://www.specialmetals.com
http://metals.about.com/cs/metallurgy/
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-06-2003 16:11
DGXL's workshop also goes on the road (domestic and international).
DGXL has also provided training seminars on-line.
Has excellent references and testimonies by those who have attended his training courses including Level III's, engineers, etc.

Next module is full here locally, the following still has room.
I try not to advertise in the Forum.
Was I too subtle? (again)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2003 20:36
I was plugging for ya alittle too, earlier.
John Wright
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-06-2003 21:41
Thank you John. You'll get a discount.

Cain: You will enjoy learning on the job as we all have. Most days are good, some days are not. Books can help, but most of your knowledge will be obtained during daily inspections, problem solving (be careful in this area), documentation review, etc. I have never regretted getting out of underneath the hood. I enjoy the trade and would not have it any other way. Being involved with welding and not getting burned, sparks down the back of my shorts, flashburn, leathers on a hot day, etc., etc.

Good luck in your "new" life as an inspector.
Parent - By Cain (*) Date 03-07-2003 00:33
DGXL,

I would like to know more about your training seminars on-line.
Parent - By wesley (*) Date 03-07-2003 11:49
Cain, Perhaps I may be of some help. Starting Monday will be at a mfg. facility just to your South and will stay in Ringold. I do just what you said you were trying to do within your company. My cell No. 864.710.2027 or you can e-mail me your no. and I will call you. hollyleaf@alltel.net If nothing else, I always enjoy meeting and helping new people. The ball is back in your court now!
Thanks, Wesley
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Starting The Journey - CWI