Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.6:1999 PERFORMANCE QUALS
- - By SFIENG (**) Date 03-05-2003 20:51
I would like to bounce an interpretation off of someone. Looking at Table 4.4 in D1.6:1999, I am interpreting that if a performance qualification was performed using a plate groove in the 3G position one would be qualified in the positions and diameters as follows:

Plate and Pipe over 24" OD in the F, H, V positions
Pipe equal to or less than 24" OD in the Flat position
Plate and Pipe Fillet in the F, H, V positions

I am new to AWS standards and if my interpretation above is correct than this differs from D1.1. Do all of the AWS standards vary like this??
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-05-2003 21:03
SF:
I agree with your interpretation of Table 4.4 of D1.6:1999.

The code is unique to the material and the material properties.

Refer to Table 4.3 for thickness limitations.
Parent - - By SFIENG (**) Date 03-05-2003 21:08
Thanks for your input. Looking at Table 4.3 of D1.6:1999 do you interpret note #5 as limiting the size of fillet welds and PJP groove welds to the values listed in the “Thickness (t) of Qualified Deposited Weld” column??
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-05-2003 22:49
A welder who qualifies (for example) in 3/8" is qualified to weld material 1/16" (min.) to 3/4" (max.) as well as the positions noted in Table 4.4.

For the PJP, the weld size (E) would determine the "Qualified Deposited Weld".
Parent - - By SFIENG (**) Date 03-05-2003 23:11
I have a question with your response. Table 4.3 gives the "Thickness of Qualified Deposited Weld" per the "Thickness of Test Coupon" used.

I interpret the table as such:

A welder who qualifies (for example) in 3/8" is then qualified to deposit weld metal in the range of 1/16" to 3/4".

Therefore in producton one could weld a CJP joint within the range of 1/16" to 3/4". I would also interpret that one would only be able to weld a PJP joint in anything over 3/4" base material and is limited to apply a 3/4" fillet weld maximum.

Where does it state that (E) takes precidence over Table 4.3?

Are you interpreting Table 4.3 to mean material thickness instead of weld deposit??
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-05-2003 23:38
Your confusing me while talking about a PJP groove and a fillet weld in the same question. It is my first day-off in a while.

(E) would be the effective throat, or weld size of a PJP groove weld. This is also the qualified deposited weld.

The maximum fillet weld size would be 2 times the CJP groove weld, or 3/4".

I'll try this one last time:
If the welder qualifies on 3/8" plate, he/she is qualifed for:
1/16" to 3/4" CJP groove welds, 3/4" PJP weld size (E), 3/4" fillet weld size maximum. The PJP groove could be deposited on materials thicker than 3/4".

A little help...?
Parent - By SFIENG (**) Date 03-05-2003 23:47
OK - We are on the same page, thanks for sticking with me. It requires way too much brain power to keep all of the different qualifications straight from each AWS code. ASME section IX is so much easier! Thanks again!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.6:1999 PERFORMANCE QUALS