Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / lazy workers
- - By and4rik (**) Date 10-20-2008 02:37
Any advice from anybody dealing with these douches?  I mean what's a hard workin' dude gonna do.  I for one don't have time to run these fools off.  And no one else seems to care : "fitness for service"  whatever that means.  So, I just rub dirt on my face and blend in w/ the trash.  Don't do good work.  your co workers will hate you and your boss doesn't like you making waves in the house.  Screw this i'm collecting cans for a living and slepping in a bush.  "The Dude abides" LOL
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 10-20-2008 13:01
And4rik, let me give you some advice.  To deal with lazy co workers, I found a couple weeks ago that the "best" way to deal with them was to get laid off with no logical reason why. LOL.  Now I am broker than I was when I was working.  At least now I have time to look for a new job.
Parent - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 10-20-2008 13:27
I have always found that Continuous improvment is key.  Is there a suggestion box?  start dropping some in there, not saying brown nose, but if you want to have a say as to what happens you need to speak up, do your job and do it well, but speak up when appropriate.  get noticed....find a way to save your employer money...that always brings a smile to their face.... :)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-20-2008 13:31 Edited 10-20-2008 13:38
I guess it all depends on where you stand in the company. I'm not sure if you are in a position of authority or not. If the individuals not towing the line are working FOR you & you can relieve them of their employment, find some better help & do what you have to do. Of course, sometimes this is much easier said that done. Many times, a floor supervisor does NOT have the final say on a termination & that can be frustrating when dealing with problem employees. Even more so, when administrative management doesn't want to face the problem head on, or has an interest in the individuals in question. But, if  you have some influence in correcting the issue, tell them to hit the road. Good help will come to you if you offer something worthwhile to good help, IE money, benefits. Like a member said in another post, "A good hand will always have a job" Very true. You can attract good workers if you have something good to offer them.

Problematic employees with a poor work ethic only create problems for the company they work for in the long run, a very low crew morale being one of them. They tend to cause many acute issues as well, such as unnecessary rework, product waste, theft, missed work hours, false W/C claims. etc. I managed & worked in commercial kitchens for over seven years & have seen the effect of low quality employees firsthand. Some places give the floor super more authority to correct problems like this than others. I have been in both kinds of environment, both as a worker & a supervisor.

On the other hand, if these guys are working WITH you & management isn't doing their job when these guys slack off, you may just have to deal with it. What I mean, is that if you are not effected in a great deal by their laziness & don't have to follow behind them, reworking their parts, than do your best & let it ride. Sure, it stinks when someone else won't carry their fair share of the load, but if it's no more than a conscious concern to you, you'll just have to live with it, or look for another job. If the individuals in question are effecting you by their habits of poor work performance, that's a really bad deal for you. Especially when management is calling upon YOU to pick up the slack & fix their shoddy work. If management has already resorted to the strategy of treating the symptom, instead of the problem......Well, you probably will not get anywhere trying to reason on it with them.

They already have a system that works, and fixing it correctly requires time & attention to the problem. Usually, poor management simply perpetuates & contributes to a situation such as this for the relevant fact that it's easier to put a band aid on the problem than it is to fix it. All the talking to them in the world probably won't solve anything. In most cases in a shop like this, when someone tries to shake up a situation like this by going to upper Admin Management, HR, the Union, whatever the case, they usually almost always find themselves looking for another job before it's said & done. Believe me, I worked in a crap hole with terrible Admin Management for six years.  I've been there & know that for a fact. If you're in that kind of boat, the door is usually the only sure way out of it.

Grin & bear it (or, at least, TRY to! :-) ) S.W.
Parent - - By and4rik (**) Date 10-21-2008 00:29
you win, game over.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-21-2008 00:45
if you take steves advice be sure you have another job first thentell them to pack it in
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-21-2008 01:08 Edited 10-21-2008 01:30
Once you have worked for a place for awhile & discovered that it has no real interest in the overall performance of their employees, it's almost always a losing game if you stay & fight. They simply expect the stronger, more competent workers to pick up the slack for the ones not pulling their fair share. In almost every case I have seen, management was WELL aware of the fact that a few were carrying the many & that morale was in the can. As long as the system works, they don't have to become involved, act or care about the issues at hand. It was going on long before you hired in & will most likely continue long after you leave there.

I hate be be negative, but it's a fact & happens often. Unfortunately, the effected individuals have to bear the load of those who are not. I think everyone who has been around a little has seen a place like this. It will almost always fall to the individual who is effected by the issues & unhappy because of them. After making a reasonable effort to bring the issue to management's attention, you have to decide whether or not you want to continue to put effort & emotion into something few care anything about.

If I hadn't been there, I wouldn't say what I have, but I have & know for a fact, it usually doesn't get any better until you rise above the situation by seeking employment with a company that better addresses the issues you feel are important. Better to leave on your terms, rather than leave on theirs, years later, exasperated & angry over the way it played out. Always better to leave on YOUR terms once you realize it's going nowhere fast.

Just offering you a viewpoint from someone who spent WAY too long at a place like that & ended up with very few options at the last play in the game. That crap will follow you if it falls to them to decide on what terms you will be leaving.

Sounds like you're a better guy than that. I meant nothing condescending, just hate to see good folks frusterated & unhappy by a broken system & worthless employees that lower morale & effect your job performance. Good luck. :-) Steve.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / lazy workers