Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA200?
- - By okwelder82 (***) Date 10-21-2008 14:21
Everytime it rains my 68 SA200 takes forever to start. From what I can tell it is getting moisture in the Mag. It doesnt have doors on it and I know that would help but are there any other ways to seal up the Mag from moisture? Thank you for any help.

Jon
Parent - - By Regmanager (**) Date 10-21-2008 14:58
Depending on your mag, there are either one or two gaskets on the cap. Have you replaced them? Does your cap have a crack in it? The coil may be weak and the moisture makes it worse. If you've tried all the above, get  the mag rebuilt and your troubles will be solved.
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 10-21-2008 19:29
Take an anti freeze jug and make a cover.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-21-2008 21:48
if it's a fairbanks mag theres a vent on the side it has a notch cut out in the top of it loosen the screw and turn the notch down and thentighten the screw the vent plate is about the size of a nickel with a screw thru the middle of it it's on the side almost right behind the big cap it worked for me on my 68 now i do it to all my machines
Parent - - By DJN87 (*) Date 10-21-2008 22:06
I was told to use some silicone spray and they said that will seal up the mag. just spray every now and then.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-22-2008 01:14
i've never heard that it's always a good idea to check the screws to make sure they are tight but dont over tighten you will crack the caps
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-22-2008 02:45
It might help to wash the cap and plug wires with detergent. Antifreze residue and other grunge can make it easier to short out when damp.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA200?