Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Punching fixture: Base Pls., Connection Pls., Angle Cons.
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-21-2008 19:58
Hello everyone, a while back I included an "economy pipe clamp" post, after reading a number of the replies from others and mention of variations to this I have come up with some pictures and suggestions for another possibility to consider. I have a fixture that I clamp to the bed of the punch press and set-up by laying out the corner hole on a base plate and then use this initial set-up for lining up and punching the other corners and similar plates without having to do a bunch of additional layout and hand center punching. This will only work when the baseplates are "reasonably square" and of a correct and consistent size. When punching angle connections or connecting plates you can use a similar fixture and spacer plates to punch multiple hole combinations at various gages. Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-22-2008 03:04
Allan, We have used a similar aproach on a drill press, as You mention, the plates need to be square and all the same size.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-23-2008 00:40
nice allen, not sure when I can find the time, I'll show you something I used for punching that goes beyond what you have, it allows for you to go off one corner of your plate and punch your holes square even when the plate isn't.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-24-2008 23:49
Hello Carl, I will look forward to that and thanks. Always looking to learn and find alternatives. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-25-2008 05:01 Edited 10-25-2008 05:17
Allen, I probably couldn't explain this as good as you could. but I'm sure you'll see how it works. the bigger plate above the holes is the same width as the hole width dimension.
as you can see the drawing isn't to scale.
then you can use shims like you posted in your pics. although I originally made this for a system that didn't have shims, it had a slider rail so you could slide your piece across without the shims. More on that later.
this way every hole is coming from one corner. I think the biggest one I made was for a 9" hole spread for 12" wide plates. you can have 3 made up for 3", 6" and 9" hole spreads.

Its not the best thing to use, but when you only have an ironworker and have a few hundred plates to punch, it goes pretty fast.

Regards, Carl

Edit: the 3 small plates are what you have in your picture, for spacing multiple holes.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2008 05:09
Hello Carl, it took me a moment or two but I believe I do understand how this works. Looks like a pretty good setup for keeping both rows of holes in proper alignment and square to one another. Great idea! Best regards, Allan

PS: I could probably come up with some pictures if you don't think you would have time to include them. What do you think?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-25-2008 05:15
I wouldnt be able to get the pics, your more than welcome to. I've been out of the structural side of things for awhile now. so all the things I Had I don't anymore. It was cheaper to leave them behind when i moved across country than drag them with. Now My present employer has everything cut and formed outside. and all holes are put in by the machine shop.

I don't think i've even seen a connection or base plate in 5 years now. :)

Regards, Carl
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-25-2008 05:45
I just realized, I should have posted that in the connection plate topic. My bad.

Regards, Carl
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2008 05:58
Hey Carl, don't worry when I come up with the pictures I'll put them there. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Punching fixture: Base Pls., Connection Pls., Angle Cons.