Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Slot and plug welding symbols
- - By R McLead (**) Date 10-24-2008 03:58
I am currently having a discussion with an engineer concerning the plug weld and slot weld welding symbols.  This is his reasoning that they do not need to be sized in the weldment level drawing if the slot or hole is already present in the components and are sized in the component level drawing. I am saying according to A2.4: 2007 page 58 section 8.2 plug weld size shall be specified and the slot weld size shall be specified pg63 section 9.2 and 9.3.   In addition the definitions for these welds in A3.0: 2001 states a plug weld is (a weld made in a circular hole in one member of a joint fusing that member to another member) and a slot weld is (A weld made in an elongated hole in one member of a joint fusing that member to another member. He has yet to show me were this could be modified to his reasoning. Am I wrong I see no were it says the hole has to be made at the time of welding to be sized in a weldment drawing?

I am a new CWI at a large equipment manufacture and the codes that are stated to be in use are D14.3 D14.4 and D1.3 and our corporate addendum it states the detailers will use A2.4 standard for all welding symbols along with the above codes.

Thanks
Rey
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 12:23
R McLead,
  My interpretation is that it "shall" be specified.

jrw159
Parent - By R McLead (**) Date 10-24-2008 13:12
Thanks, I do not see it any other way myself.

Rey
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Slot and plug welding symbols