Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Old Welding Certs
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2003 18:03
I am in question over what to do with some old welder's certs that are here in the file. They have errors in them and have been addressed by an Inspector on a job that we had last year. They were done by a CWI that has since retired and is disabled. He had referenced paragraphs in section 5(fabrication) instead of section 4(qualifications). The Inspector would like for us to have these revised and resubmitted to clear up one of these "Punch List Items" on this job.

I'm not sure if this CWI is even still around, so how can we go about fixing these records?

Funny thing is that the welder's with certs in question are not with our erector anymore either, so retesting is out of the question.

Any Suggestions?
John Wright
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 03-11-2003 18:10
John,

It seems like you have looked at all the solutions possible. I would just change the errors with a single strike and initial and date beside the correction.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-11-2003 19:04
Hey John:
The section 5 of the old (pre-96) D1.1 was the qualififcation section. It does not mean an error, but they are dated records. If the inspector qualified anyone during that period, then the records are still accurate.

Why fix it if it ain't broke...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2003 20:09
I figured as much, but he dated the record per the 2000 code. My books only went back as far as 96, but I did check to see if he was using an old form. I think everything would have flown but that thing was per Section 4 D1.1:2000 (in the paragraph at the bottom of the record, "We the undersigned..."). Any ideas whether I should strike it and put the correct references in and initial/date it? Is that "legal"?
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2003 20:19
I think he was copying an old (pre-96) form when he made his (2000)welder's certs out on the computer. He then copied this (error) around to all the certs that he did from then on. Computers are great but they can get you in trouble with that copy command. All that I have with his name and seal on are this way.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-11-2003 21:26
John:
I had this very conversation this morning with a client as we reviewed his first WPQR's for light gage. He had duplicated the same error on all records. He also mentioned how much work was involved even with a computer. I make the same mistake from time to time with a computer.

Bad computer.

Recently, I had an engineer make a SMALL mistake on his specifications and I charged $450 to change the WPS/PQR & WPQR I issued to D1.1-98. It can be to your advantage at times.

Bad computer.
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 03-11-2003 21:51
John, I would think the most you would need to do is strike the mistake, initial it, put the correct info in and leave it.

Mike Sherman
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-12-2003 03:14
I go along with Mike Sherman and the others on this. The accepted way of correcting records every place I have worked has been to draw a single line through the error, insert the correct info, initial and date next to the change.

Marty
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-12-2003 11:55
I've fixed my own mistakes in this manner, but I wasn't sure about fixing another CWI's.
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Old Welding Certs