Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tool boxes?
- - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 10-27-2008 02:36
Im trying to just get some ideals here. What size tool box on a rig is ideal for a rig and what size metal would you recomend? I want to build  two boxes one on each sides. Thanks.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-27-2008 02:42
Look at welding beds in past threads, there were a couple long running ones recently with many different styles of boxes on guys beds. just a thought. Good luck. S.W.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 10-27-2008 13:49
A lot depends on what tools you plan to carry.  I have been making them out of 16 gage, bolt on  to keep them lite just using a simple leaf brake.
Tom
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 10-27-2008 14:02
I buy boxes when I can, tool boxes are slow to build.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-27-2008 14:38
That's a good point. I was going to build one for my trailer a long time ago, but it was just way too much work for how little I would use it.

Besides, unless you have the space & fixturing to do a GOOD job, it could turn out badly. That said, I have seen some super stuff done in the backyard, on a set of jack stands as well. Just takes a little more time that way. S.W.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 10-27-2008 15:06
Very true but making them you can get what you want and fit the space available. Cost wise its a wash and if you figure your labor probably cost more to build them by the time its said and done.
Tom
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 10-27-2008 16:29
Lots more, you can buy pre-made for what it cost in materials, its not as good but it didn't take 3 days including paint.
Parent - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 10-28-2008 01:44
I seen a rig today, that had boxes that were 30" long and 15" wide 15" tall. They looked like they were not to big, and did not take up a lot of space. I FORGOT to see what size the material was. Thanks for the responces.
I have access to a plasma so there wont be a lot of grinding. Anyways thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tool boxes?