Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / help soothing burn eyes????
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 07-16-2008 14:33
Greg, if this condition has been going on for 1.5 weeks, you may have something in your eye. A foreign particle in the eye will also feel like your eyes are burnt. Have a eye Doc check you out. A burnt eye will heal really fast. Unless you have a leak in your hood. So go get that eye looked at. If it's nuthin but burnt, then get that hood looked at.
My wife is a Tech for a eye Doc. As far as the deadener they can put in your eye for temp relief, most Doc's don't won't to do it unless they patch both eyes and somebody is there to drive you home. They rather prescribe pain pills. Reason being, the drops just deaden the eyes. You leave their office and get something in your eye, you won't know it. Then that sets the Doc up for a "Lawsuit"!!
Keep us posted on the outcome.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-16-2008 16:23
Sqiggy,
  The "rate" option is not active here but here you go.

IMHO *** :-) that is a three star reply.

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-17-2008 19:34
Dr John....We Have Another Emergency!! Get the rubber gloves & Vaseline!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can extract the object with a chainsaw!

"It's surgery..." (Sheriff Hoyt, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Beginning)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 19:41
LOL :-)

"Im my own worst enemy!"
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 07-16-2008 18:07
Just a shot in the dark here:
Do you use the "gold" lenses.  One tiny scratch, and their filtering ability is gone.  Definitely very dangerous to use, if you don't have an extra piece of plastic covering the front of the filter.

Burning for 1.5 weeks.  That's not good.  There's been lots of good advice above, but just to repeat one thing.  See a doc!
Either your filter is bad, and you're getting burned every day (try a new shade 11), or you've got something in your eye.

Trust me, its no fun watching someone with a needle that looks like a javelin, trying to remove a chunk of metal from your eye, and them watching a grinder, with a burr that looks to be as big as a golf ball remove the ring of rust (ok, so this stuff isn't that big, but it sure looks like it, when its that close up), but its WAAAAY BETTER THAN THE ALTERNATIVE.
Parent - - By Greg Cole Date 07-16-2008 18:54
This is Gregs wife and he is at the eye dr right now. He wears rx glasses that are shaded all the time. He is always gettin stuff in them. This is the 5th visit this year. Thanks everyone for the quick responses I really appreciate it. Megan
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 07-16-2008 19:17 Edited 07-16-2008 20:05
It comes with the job :)

Stuff seems to even wiggle around those safety glasses somehow like schmweb said above. I got popped with a piece of slag not too long ago right under the eye not too long ago (thankfully on the skin), and I wear kid's safety glasses so they're super tight, and it still managed to get under them! It just happens. Some pieces just attack you... lol

EDIT < as a side note, I've just started leaving my whole darn hood down while chipping lately, and got a hood that has grind mode on it so I can use my full welding hood for everything. Covers my whole head almost.... can't be too safe really, no slag burns since I've gone into this mode of operation!!! >end EDIT
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-16-2008 19:45
I've never got arc flash or slag or spatter in my eye. That's party why I hated stick so much that spatter had a tendency to bounce into gloves or eyes. I've seen one to many coworkers run to the eye flush. I hear it hurts real bad I don't want to experience that!

I'm glad he's seeking proper care, I hear some people are more sensitive to things like arc flash and such.
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 07-17-2008 13:49
Tell Greg to hang in there .
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 10-18-2008 13:45
For what it's worth.  Early in my welding career, I had a bad habit of taking off my glasses and wiping off sweat with my shirtsleeves.  This lead to 3 or 4 episodes of metal in my eyes. As simple as it should have been, it took a long time for me to break that habit.

Griff
Parent - - By okiewelder2 (**) Date 07-16-2008 23:05
sometimes a wet rag will help alittle, but u should go to the eye doctor. flash burn really sucks but it shouldnt happen that often or last that long. usually after it happens once u figure out why it happened and then fix the problem. i dont know anything about the blue eyes thing but i have blue eyes and use a number 10 but i where dark glasses under my hood. one thing that i have learned is that u get more i damage from using a cutting torch because most people dont where the proper i protection when using a torch. and after u use the torch and u see spots then u are damaging your eyes.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-17-2008 05:08
    Since You happened to mention it, I have a green face shield that in conjunction with My photo grey glasses, works pretty well when using a torch. It isn't as dark as a #5 goggle, but I think My photo grays make up the difference.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 16:00
One and a half weeks! Wow, I don't know how you can survive it! I've gotten metal in my eyes and gone for the weekend and first think monday morning it was off to the eye doctor. It's funny how ya'll have mentioned getting metal in your eyes even with safety glasses. That has happened to me about 8 times. Luckily, knock on wood I have not had it happen in a few years. I've tried goggles, glasses and so on. The best I've used was when I had my auto helmet, just leave it down and grind. Then a walkboard fell on the helmet. I've gotten to the point where I squint my eyes behind the safety glasses, unfortunately I found another problem with that. When I squint I roll my upper lip a bit and my front top teeth show. Now I have a small piece of metal stuck in my right front tooth!! It's porcelain(crown) but it's there. Hows that for some crazy stuff. Hope you get them eyes taken care of. A kid at welding school welded with his hood up one night(not the brightest person on the earth) and when he came in the next day his eyes were watering and this horrible flame red!! The teacher just shook his head in disbelief!! Did you find out what was causing it?? I'm surprised the helmet manufacturers don't make a thing to go over the back of the helmet, like a piece of leather like they do for the front to protect your neck.
Parent - - By gregnmegan (*) Date 07-17-2008 18:09
Greg had a piece of grinder in his eye and they were burnt so bad there was blisters. He went back to work today and he said his eyes feel 100% better. Thanks again.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 07-17-2008 18:32
Poor guy, glad he's feeling better!!! Don't let him wait next time!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-17-2008 21:32
piece of grinder....ouch!!
Parent - By rockin d (**) Date 07-17-2008 22:02
boy he's more a man than me,  to go for a week in a half i went through that for a weekend , not by choice but because our nearest opptmt. is 50 miles away & they so happend to be closed the weekend , but glad to hear you got it fixed
Parent - - By okiewelder2 (**) Date 07-19-2008 15:26
there is always blisters when u burn your eyes, that is why it feels like there is sand in them.
Parent - - By 63 Max (***) Date 10-15-2008 16:47
I know this may sound weird but I use vicks vapor rub under my eyes when I burn them. I have the eye drops also but I dont like to use them unless it's real bad. The problem with the drops are if you use them and get something in your eyes you dont realize it. With the vicks I rub it under my eyes and put a warm washcloth over my eyes. This makes your eyes water real bad and in about an hour you feel much better.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 17:14
WOW. I have never heard of this one. Very interesting.

jrw159
Parent - - By ANDY LARKINS (*) Date 10-15-2008 18:42
Someone spoke earlier about something for skin burns, something I use and Ya'll are going to laugh is preperation H.  It takes the burn and sting out real quick.  I keep a tube around just for that.

Andy
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 20:51
Andy,
  You wouldn't be setting someone up would you? LOL

No in all seriousness, really? You are right I chuckled pretty good over this one, but at the same time I guess it could work.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-15-2008 20:52
You are first person to give Preperation H advice in their first post.  WelDcome to the forum.

Now I have an excuse next time a girlfriend finds my tube of it.  :)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 20:55
"Now I have an excuse next time a girlfriend finds my tube of it."

That dog won't hunt John. LOL :-)

jrw159
Parent - By and4rik (**) Date 10-16-2008 04:29
could I mabey sugest ben gay?  rub it on the effected zone, wait 10 minutes, repeat until cured.  this will work wonders for thoes really troublesome burns.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 10-16-2008 04:34
Yeah, and Preparation H will ease inflammation too, but be careful.  Its loaded with corticosteroids, which can prevent your immune system from fighting an infection.
Parent - - By JohnJohn (**) Date 10-15-2008 20:32
Vapo Rub or Mentholatem(sp). An old Ironworker who used to play jokes on people told me about it and I didn't believe it. Tried it one night and it works better than anything I ever tried. Put in on your eye lids and WOW, instant relief. Just make sure their closed!
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-15-2008 20:41
I had heard this one, but I must confess I thought someone was messing with me also so I never tried it.  I'll have to check it out next time I get burned.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 20:49
Yeah, I am still not convinced. LOL And tthe preparation H deal, well.... :-)

I will watch someone else try it first LOL.

Just sounds a little too much like a vee-door key.

jrw159
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-15-2008 20:56
When I played football and we used to get nosebleeds the coach always had a sure fire remedy that was kind of off the wall too.  Tampons, they work like a charm.  You stuff a piece up there and it swells up and your back in the game.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-15-2008 20:59
Oh crap, this threads going south quick. LOL

Actually I think I have heard that as well, never tried it though. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 10-15-2008 23:58
And there was this one time at band camp.  .  .  .  .
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-16-2008 00:09
You need to keep that to yourself. NOBODY needs that mental image. LOL
Parent - By JohnJohn (**) Date 10-16-2008 02:03
When I used to rodeo we would put tampons in our horses ears to drown out the sound at some of the bigger shows. Watch the NFR and you may catch a glimpse of one sticking out a horse's ear.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-16-2008 06:14
wow you found my v dor key i lost that thing years ago make a copy and send it to me please i still aint found the door knob but i'll need the key when i do
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-16-2008 07:27
It is marked "Do not duplicate" LOL
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-16-2008 21:58
no thats my P.O. box key the v door key is a copy send it now lol
Parent - - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 10-16-2008 01:16
vicks vapor rub, keep a bottle of it by my bed, works wonders for burnt eyes, and for dry eyes.best i have tried
Parent - - By 63 Max (***) Date 10-16-2008 04:15
No BS guys it really works. I thought the same thing when The old timer that told me about it. Because he was always kidding with the younger welders. But it really works. Dont rub it in your eyes rub it just under them. Your eyes will start to water like he** and within an hour they will feel so much better.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-16-2008 10:48
While you all catalog the different medications for flash burn lets remember one thing.

It is impossible to get flash burn if you are wearing proper safety glasses.

The wrong shade # cannot give you a burn. Even a #3 shade cuts out 99.9% of the UV light that causes burns. The same is true for CLEAR safety glasses...  If you have the safety glasses on you may see spots but you can't get burned.

Keep those glasses on folks and you will not have another eye burn for the rest of your careers...  Put the potatos in the salad and put the Preparation H....... Well, you know where to put it  :)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-16-2008 13:40
I have to follow Lar with this one, so I'll interject the advice that was given by a wise old gent......."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"-Ben Franklin.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-16-2008 14:06
Lawrence,
  Very well said, and the best advice that could be given. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-17-2008 22:38
I agree in my 5 years as a welder now I have never once got flash burns from welding, and I have never once welded without wearing safety glasses or been around welding without safety glasses. I've always wondered what it's like, but it sounds like I'm not missing much
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-17-2008 23:43
just imagine atrillion eye lashes in your eye it hurts alot i burned mine bad once and had dreams of welding woke up screaming form the flash it was a long nite
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-18-2008 02:02
Or someone just filled your eyes with sand. And no relief for hours, even with your eyes closed. Yeah experience, especially painful ones, are remembered like they were yesterday. I think in any welders life span, this event would only happen ONCE!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-18-2008 04:27
it took 2 times for me lol but never again gotta love the magic juice from the eye dr
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-18-2008 19:24
TWO TIMES!!!!  Mygod, did you like the first time so much, that just once more wouldn't be that bad? lol  Remember a guys two famous last lines, "hey guys watch this(the arc) and the second,"uh-oh".  Jeez Shad.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-18-2008 21:18
the first time i was in a shop and it was the others flash that burned them the 2nd time i was building spray rigs for the D O T and spent the whole day just tacking stuff together with a mig gun i used dark glasses instead of my hood like i use to do doing auto body work yes i learned the 2nd time always wear a hood tacking or not
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 10-27-2008 23:54
vics vapor rub in eyes, burns like he double hockey sticks for a bout 15mins, then pulls the heat out of your eyes and is all better, or u can cut raw tator slices on eyes w/cold rag. hope it helps.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-28-2008 00:07
i tried the potatoe thing it dont work but aint tried the vicks thing hope i never have to
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / help soothing burn eyes????
1 2 3 Previous Next