Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 232 flux cored cert. tests
- - By jacanfora (*) Date 10-29-2008 16:29
anyone with expierience on verticle and overhead with NR-232 have any prefrence on the root opening on their test plates? I cant see wanting to do it in an 1/8th, but what about a 1/4 or 3/8"? I've been practicing with variances. But was wondering what was preferred.
Parent - By octavio morales (*) Date 10-29-2008 18:03
hello jacanfora
i just took my 232 test the other day and used the 3/8" root opening. it worked just fine for me. it seems like 1/8" root opening would be a little to small.
good luck
octavio
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-29-2008 18:09
I cut up a few plates for an erector the other day where the welder used an 1/8" root....trapped enough slag at the root where the backing strip fell off when I cut it. I would open it up to a 1/4" anything less may give you a tough time getting good access to the root. What size wire are you guys using? Also what does the WPS allow?
Parent - - By jacanfora (*) Date 10-31-2008 18:38
we use the .072". the plates are pre-tacked for smaw testing, which i just passed. i wasnt concerned about the root opening for those test plates, but they may be the same unless hopefully i can specify a week in advance. especially if its allowed by D1.1 code. Using an 1/8" root doesnt seem feisable, is that what it is for smaw? As far as WPS, 3/8" but the angle changes to a 30 instead of the 1/4" at a 45. I'd take 3/8" with a 45, but 1/4" root opening may work. Thanks for the response. Without knowing i may have settled for an 1/8" and had to wait 30 days to retest. Thanks again.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 20:14 Edited 10-31-2008 20:17
They were using that .072" sized wire also...I think it is just too large for good access in a 1/8" root....you might be able to get away with that just fine if the wire was .045" or smaller. I was going to post a picture of those test plates (where the backing fell off) but I remembered that I had given them back to the erector already.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 11-01-2008 00:45
Just a thought here, but, if your welding to a D1.1 prequalified procedure (and, I am assuming that you are. Single V?), you can't run the 232 with the 1/8" root, a shielding gas would be required.  Are they letting you do your own fit up? I guess maybe not, since you say that the plates were pre tacked for stick. But even there the numbers don't add up. You probably should be taking a heavy 1/4". That should give you enough room to move around but still keep it nice and tight.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-01-2008 14:58
232 is a self shielding wire therfore doesn't require shielding gas. There wasn't any mention by the OP whether the WPS was Qualified or Prequalified...........But, as Wayne stated though, for a prequalified B-U2a-GF with a 30* included angle and 3/16" root (taking the fitup tolerances of plus1/4", minus1/16"); you could use the 1/8" root but would have to switch to a wire that has a shielding gas(according to the notes) in the prequalified details.

..to stay with the 232 and to remain prequalified I would suggest using a 45* included angle, and the 1/4" root or a 30* included angle and a 3/8" root, where it states that a shielding gas is "not required".

I hope all of this isn't too confusing...if you look at the prequalified full penetration details in Section 3 of D1.1 while reading all of this...it will make more sense...LOL
Parent - - By jacanfora (*) Date 11-01-2008 19:04
no, it all makes sense. i read the book with the last replies and followed right along. i went in yesterday and polished up some practice coupons and did a bend test. they would of passed. one of the guys tested last week, and first cut had a hole, in the preceeding cut was another. it was his 3g and sure enough it ran vertically through the plate. a little concernig i took the opportunity to bend my own before testing. are you guys welders or inspectors?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-02-2008 00:26
I'm a QC Manager for a medium sized structural steel fabricator, I do all of our non-destructive testing and weld inspection, qualify our welders, write our welding procedures...ect...in my spare time I help several other fabricators and erectors here in town with their QC programs.
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 11-02-2008 05:16 Edited 11-02-2008 05:18
I have 27 years as an iron worker/welder and the last 7 as a CWI and structural steel special inspector. But, I don't have near as many diamonds as John. I think I'm jealous!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 232 flux cored cert. tests