Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Alternative connection plate punching fixture
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-30-2008 04:55
Hello everyone, yes, yet another one to add to the mix. Ctacker gave a diagram of this particular method for fixturing the punching of connection plates that can be done without having to re-index a connection plate that might have multiple holes on different or like gages in two different directions.
     It requires spacer plates of the appropriate gage to space the holes that are in a line and another single spacer plate that can be used to set the gage spacing in the other direction. I believe the pictures will explain what I may not be able to do verbally very well. So here goes:
     As usual: suggestions, comments, alternatives are readily welcome and pictures if you have them. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-30-2008 12:43
Another good show Allan!

I use 123/246 blocks & ground parallels for spacers on a lot of jobs. I also have one of those Precision shim sets. Those come in really handy for fixturing.

Even though it has nothing to do with this thread, I personally think transfer punches are one of the most useful tools anyone can own. :-) I have them up to 1".

Still, if you didn't have any machinist set up stuff, the method you have shown is excellent in an indexing application. Easily made with 2" strip steel. LOW cost too. Especially for a low clearance set up on a press like you demonstrated. Cool!! S.W.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-31-2008 07:31
Hello Steve, in the case of most ironworkers you wouldn't want to use anything too expensive or precise, so I avoid the parallels and 123 or other more precision type machinist tools. On the other hand there are Whitney punches or other machines of a like caliber that do use those sorts of indexing options and are very precise in how they handle hole indexing tasks. I also have transfer punches, as you mentioned, and will see about including a post about their uses. I normally use those when the shapes are not square or rectangular and I have a considerable number of them to do and the parts require a more precise fit to allow for bolt-ups or other applications where it is fairly critical that the alignment of the holes is as nearly right-on as possible. Thanks for the mention of these tools and their uses. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-31-2008 12:11
Again, great stuff Allan! Man, I wish I lived close by your school. I would be sure to enroll!!!!!! :-)

Simple, Economic, Effective. :-)

S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-01-2008 00:43 Edited 11-01-2008 00:46
Hi Allan. Here's that press brake I built for my Ironworker that I tore apart & never put back together. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-01-2008 07:22
Hello Steve, looks pretty trick. You really should get the rest of it put back together so that you can do something with it! Had to include that, sorry couldn't help myself. Really does look nice and OSHA would likely be very happy with the guarding that you included. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-01-2008 13:11
Why thank you, Allan! :-) I know I need to get the rest of it back together. I need to get it taken to sandblast first, then I can get on it. As soon as I get enough money to carry me for a month or so, I think I'll be able to put some time into it then.

Scotchman wanted well over $1000 for the brake, so I bought the dies & made everything else. I made a nice back gauge for it too. I had a real job than & had the time & money to screw around with my own stuff. :-)

Thanks again! S.W.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-30-2008 13:58
Nice Allen, Whenever I'm ready to learn the welding trade, I'll be looking you up. :)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-31-2008 07:33
Hey Carl, when you're ready I'm not that far away! LOL. As a matter of fact when I'm up your way again I might just pop in and rattle your cage. Regards, Allan
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-31-2008 13:49
Allen,
That sounds good, your welcome anytime!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Alternative connection plate punching fixture