Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Washing welding machines.
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-05-2008 20:07
Some people will say this is crazy. Some of the biggest Factory Authorized machine service centers in the country regularly use this method to clean machines before servicing & repair.

In the event a welding machine is very dirty inside, possibly impeding performance, before heavy repair it can be successfully power washed with MODERATE water pressure. About 1500-1800 MAX is fine. Steam is great too, just use caution to avoid internal damage to your machine being sprayed by excessive temperatures & or pressures. Using excessive pressures will destroy components inside the machine in a big hurry! In the pictures below, the machines washed were done in steps. First, the friable dirt is removed by brushing & scraping. A vacuum can also be used to evacuate the dirt from inside the machine. In some cases, an oily film is present & should be scraped as best as possible before power washing. Before power washing, it is advisable to remove any circuit boards. These can be cleaned in the kitchen sink with warm water & a mild detergent. Drying is accomplished with moderate pressure compressed air.

It is best to pre wash the machine, then apply a moderate degreaser, such as "Mean Green" or "Greased Lightning" brand with a trigger sprayer. Stubborn areas can be cleaned with a brush. After washing, block the machine up on one side, or slightly invert it on a dolly, as below, to run off any excess water. After the water drains off, I use a moderate amount of compressed air to evacuate any standing water inside coils or other areas. Since most shops do not have a "dry room" to dry machines using heat & forced air, box fans can accomplish the same purpose, as shown below. You can see I place one on each side & cover the top of the unit to promote air circulation. Drying time depends on the ambient temperature, but about a day is sufficient in most cases. If you do not have a pressure washer, the car wash will do fine. Be aware that some automotive soaps are corrosive & should be used with care.

After drying, re spray the components inside with compressed air to insure complete absence of water. Perform any & all factory outlined pre-power checks before applying input power.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-06-2008 03:57
Gosh and all this time Obama told us to leave them plugged in. I think too many people believed it.

Sorry couldn't resist.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-06-2008 04:38
:-) I don't know what else to say.......... S.W.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-06-2008 12:50
Wow, I never leave anyone speechless. All in fun.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-06-2008 12:53
Fun it is!! :-)

I would hate to see what happened if you did leave it plugged in. The sense of some individuals :-) :-)

S.W.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-06-2008 17:49
Maybe not so crazy, but I suspect you have to really know your way around inside the case to perform the procedure.  Me, I'd spray the wrong dang thing and be out a machine!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-06-2008 18:37
It's not all too difficult. (I can do it! :-)) You just have to use common sense & not go crazy. The most important part is getting the machine thoroughly dry inside. I just throw the box fans on it for a good day or so & it's usually fine.

There are some machines that have specific warnings not to pressure wash (like the CST 250) I wouldn't do it if it had a factory sticker on it telling me not to. Some machines are in environments where they get full of oil laden dirt & can actually catch fire if not regularly serviced. I had one Maxtron with a good 1/8" of greasy dirt inside it. That was nice, scraping it all out!

S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Washing welding machines.