Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Surface Finish on plain carbon steel
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-10-2008 16:18
I want to order plain carbon steel for GTAW training.

Plain carbon steel  (I usually request A36)
11 ga.
16 ga.

When I have ordered it in the past I recieve material with mill scale so heavy that it takes too much surface prep to be practical.   I've seen much cleaner, almost bright at many other facilities...

That mill scale just does not go well with TIG.. Too much boiling, grinding etc...

But I just don't know what to ask for when I order.  I'm a bit embarrased about my ignorance here.

So I'm looking for advice on what type of surface condition I need to require from my vendor in order to get sheet I can simply shear to size and weld with GTAW without blasting, or grinding.. Just a little buff is all I really want to spend time on...

Thanks in advance
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 11-10-2008 16:36
Lawrence,
What you are getting is the standard hot-rolled product.  Final rolling of the component, be it plate, flat bar, etc. is done at high temperature.  What you describe (cleaner, almost bright) is probably cold-rolled product.  The final processing is not done at high temperature, but you will probably pay a premium.  Depending on the size of weld coupons you want (length and width) you could order cold rolled flat bar.  Check out this link - http://www.spaco.org/hrvscr.htm.  You can Google "cold rolled steel plate, flat bar, etc." to find a lot of info.

Hope this helps.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-10-2008 16:44
Poppy,

I'm hoping to just get 4'x8' sheets that I can cut cupons with on my Metal Muncher.

I was also wondering if it was a Hot Rolled vs Cold Rolled issue.

But I've seen some production facilities making farm equipment etc. who I seriously doubt are paying for cold rolled steel, getting very clean sheet for their work.... I may just have to humble myself and go ask em exactly what it is they are buying.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 11-10-2008 16:55
Lawrence,

Try pickled and oiled.

Brian
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-10-2008 17:15
Brian is right, get 4x8x11ga, P&O.  It's not as cheap as stardard sheet, but only 5-10% difference.  You will have to shear it up, then the students will have to wipe them off before they weld it because as the name implies, pickle and oil.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-10-2008 19:15
Thanks to everybody

P&O it is!

Looking forward to a much smoother shop!
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-10-2008 17:54
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-10-2008 19:07
A man of your caliber should not be embarrased asking any question in regards to welding or materials!
As mentioned many times here on this forum, this field is waaaay to big for everyone to know everything.

Thanks for asking that question, now I dont have to :)

Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-27-2008 20:08
Muriatic acid takes care of the mill scale really good. It's what I use when I need a piece of work patina or gun blued.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Surface Finish on plain carbon steel