Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Why no Job Forum?
- - By bullsnbets (**) Date 11-13-2008 20:51
I was just curious because I always see people looking for work on AWS.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-13-2008 21:06
People looking for work sometimes start their own threads, but I think AWS wants people to use the jobs database since they make money on the advertising.  It is free to post a resume at least.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-13-2008 22:25
Here it is: http://www.aws.org/jobfind

We're working on a new welding job site that'll be bigger and better, maybe by summer.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 11-13-2008 23:28
Thanks for the response. I had seen the Job Find Section, but it always seems that it's looking for Engineers, Inspectors, QC...etc. That's awesome that you're creating a new job site. I look forward to checking it out.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-14-2008 12:45
OKI Bering has donated money for us to set this up. We had meetings on it this week. You will be able to search welding jobs by type, area, etc., and post your resume or submit an application that multiple employers can review. Also, you can have a kind of "MySpace" profile. This will be free to job-seekers. We could have an area for jobs on this forum, but I think this new program will be much more effective. I'll share the plan with you guys as it firms up, because your opinions would be useful.

Ross
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 14:03
Yeah, the current jobsite is cr**.  I think that it will be more used when the new site is up.  I hope I have a job by then, though! LOL
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 14:39
Ross,
  When you say "welding jobs by type" will this include inspection as well?

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-14-2008 14:50
Sure, and instructors, gas distributor salespeople, the whole range.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 14:54
Ross,
  Thats cool! I am looking forward to seeing it.

jrw159
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 11-14-2008 11:15
You're the man Ross.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 13:33
Though I understand why AWS would wish job seekers to visit the job site(were I looking for work I would-I did), this forum has a far greater networking capacity IMO. And that networking is with people who do the very same thing those seeking work do. I'm not sure that a job specific site can ever match the networking capability of this forum.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 11-14-2008 13:51
I think networking is your best bet.If you look at the classifieds these days,there aren't many welding jobs out there right now.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 14:02
No sh**, I can testify to that one.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 11-14-2008 14:40
Maybe it will get better after the first of the year.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-14-2008 14:54
I think this forum should be more integrated into other things that AWS does on the web. That's the direction we are going in. This forum gets more traffic than any other part of the AWS website, so we recognize its importance. We might start selling ads on it, by the way. Up top next to where the AWS logo is.
Parent - By steven clark 2 (*) Date 11-14-2008 17:03
that sounds good! i agree totaly with the guys about the networking on this forum. id like to say thanks to all the help ive got from these guys in this forum!
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-14-2008 17:26
NO POP UP CRAP!!!!!!
If I understand what you are saying, adds will only be in the white space next to the logo.?.  Just normal banners..right.. none of that flashing crap that I'm the 1 millionth visitor. 

I would hate to see anything that may take away from the integrety of this great forum.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 17:33
Yeah I will second that!!!  My peck** is big enough.  LOL  I would rather see adds from companies that have something to do with our industry at least.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Why no Job Forum?