Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Demagnitization how to
- - By Uncle Chuckles (*) Date 11-18-2008 19:26
I have read and heard of different ways of demagnetizing material, Does this one work? "place the yoke poles on the surface, moving them around the area and slowly withdrawing the yoke while it is still energized"  I assume they are using and AC yoke but don't know if this would work.  Any Ideas or alternative methods of demagnetization?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-18-2008 19:32
YES THIS WILL WORK, BUT ONLY IN A LOCALIZES AREA. IF YOU NEED TO DEMAG A WHOLE PART THIS WILL PROBABLY NOT WORK.
MDK
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 11-18-2008 19:40
try searching the forum.
Parent - - By Uncle Chuckles (*) Date 11-18-2008 20:05
I did, there wasn't much. Although I could have sworn I read something here on the topic
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-18-2008 21:38
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-18-2008 20:06
If you're trying to demagnetize something because you're getting arc blow, this won't work.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By Uncle Chuckles (*) Date 11-18-2008 21:24
Nope it was written in a third party Mag partical inspection spec, and my supervisor and I don't have much experence with Demagnetization.
Parent - - By Shawn Potter Date 11-19-2008 07:49
The only way the yoke demagnetization technique will work is if the magnetism in the part is less than the magnetic force generated by the yoke.
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 11-19-2008 11:35
Other demag methods - buy/rent an appropriate auto degauss system both AC and DC, passing through high amperage AC coil, heating above the Curie point of the material, banging it heavily and repeatedly with a blunt instrument. Bound to be others but these are the easiest to carry out.

If your item's L/D ratio is low, then increase it with unmagnetised but magnetic extension pieces when you pass it through the coil.

I think that one lesson I have learned in my experience of demag problems is to know asmuch as possible about the item  you are dealing with - material and its magnetic properties (if possible its hysteresis curve), how its been constructed/processed/handled. Gather together as much info as you can to help choose the optimum method.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2008 13:05
Try this link. This subject was discussed several months back.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=121249;hl=arc%20blow

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Uncle Chuckles (*) Date 11-20-2008 20:52
Ahahaha,  "banging it heavily and repeatedly with a blunt instrument"  I'd like to see that in a quality control document.  Too good.  Thanks for the links, lots of info there.  Too bad the above theory doesn't work with more aspects of my life.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Demagnitization how to