Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shop Talk
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-18-2008 19:41
Here are a couple images of the new welding lab under construction at the college.

Very exciting.  We have gained considerable space for fabrication and also will have new fume extraction that is up to date.

The plan is to be finished with construction in mid December and somehow migrate all our welding power supplies into the new space for the Spring semester beginning the second week in January...  It's gonna get hectic!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-18-2008 19:48
Sweet! I'm happy for you guys!! S.W.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2008 19:58
That should make the learning experience safer, more fun, and give ideas to put in practice in the real world. 

Now if you could just teach them to use a tape measure while they're learning to weld.  Good luck.

Have a Great Day and congrats on the new digs.  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-18-2008 20:06
Very nice!!! (Green with envy) :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-18-2008 20:11
Hello Lawrence. Love the Sparkmahal sub-title on the photos. Looks like you're going to have a really terrific lab to work in there pretty soon. I take it you've also got all of your gases piped in? I also noticed the snorkels, I have heard various comments on the snorkels from different instructors at various places. One suggestion I would make is to be sure to keep plenty of the joint hardware/springs/bolts in stock to deal with any issues that come up. I believe there might also be some friction washers in those that you might want to have on hand as well. Please do keep the pictures coming as your project progresses. Always love to see the different approaches that schools are taking. Have fun and best regards, Allan
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-18-2008 20:41
dam I like that very safe good exhaust fans
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-18-2008 21:52 Edited 11-18-2008 22:15
Allan,

The current lab has hoods and when we SMAW or FCAW you can see the smoke roll up and out of the hoods.. they just can't handle it.

The snorks are tied into a shiny new Torrit that is engineered to provide movable point fume extraction of 100 ft/min with the pickup is 10 inches from the joint being welded... (Per AWS EG2.0 C1.3.9) I think will will be in the clear with Hex Chrome as well.  The extra maintainence will hopefully be a fair tradeoff for the fume pickup......  Plus lighting is so much better without a hood.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-18-2008 22:55
Hello Lawrence, I agree wholeheartedly with the maintenance trade-off for proper fume/smoke removal. Would much rather have to replace some bolts/hardware and such. In my case we "inherited" a system which was a hood type. Since then we have installed higher capacity exhaust fans on the roof and wall mounted extraction point boxes with 3 choices for additional extraction as well as the central overhead point: an open/close flap low/mid/high. We also have make-up air at the front lip of the overhead portion of the booths to initiate better flow patterns. Tons better than in the past, the dust doesn't actually accumulate in the rest of the shop like it used to. Definitely like what I'm seeing and you're doing, look forward to more updates, enjoy the process. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-18-2008 20:43
What kind of gas you running?  It looks like a hell of a nice setup. 
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-18-2008 21:57 Edited 11-18-2008 22:18
Bryon,

We have 100% Co2, 100% Ar, 75/25 Ar/Co2, 98/2 Ar/Co2, and just had a metering valve adjustment installed today to change our stupid 90/8/2 Ar/Co2/O2 into into 90/10  Ar/Co2, which serves Metal Core much better... OOPs  and compressed air

With this setup we can run the big 4 processes with plain carbon steel, stainless and aluminum. Just switch the quick disconnect and your in business.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-18-2008 20:51
SparksMahal......LOL catchy title for your new space ;-)
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 11-18-2008 21:28
That manifold setup is gorgeous.  Are you going to be piping acetylene too?

The snorkels look much nicer than my aluminum dryer vent hose and bungee cord.    :)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-18-2008 21:59
We pipe propylene (formerly Mapp) to our track burners and cutting stations...  Currently we don't have gas welding in our curriculum (taught only on request) so don't have fuel gas piped to the individual workstations.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shop Talk