Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State?
- - By js55 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 13:19
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?????????????
Does anybody but me think that maybe this was one of them smoke filled room deals where Obama promises some Cabinet Appointment and Hillary promises to back away from pressing the delegate issue too hard even though many of her supporters were insisting she attack, even to the point of 'Heaven Forbid' voting for McCain?
Talk about cornpone diplomacy.
C'mon this is so far out there its almost laughable if it wasn't so styooopid.
I really do hope this is just media yap and has no substance.
But I do remember this very thing being talked about some months ago when the issue of delegates was at its most heated. Not SOS specifically of course, but something. VP topped the list but that wasnt going to happen.

If I'm rabble rousing here, who's the rabble I'm rousing?
I think I'd rather be the rouser than the rabble.  :)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-14-2008 14:02
As Democrats go  Hillary Clinton is a Hawk on forign policy.

Her voting record and her debate performances suggest she would be more supportive of the U.S. Military than just about anybody the Dem's might trot out there.

I hope somebody in the cabinet keeps an eye out for those troops.  Not that State controlls defense..... Nonetheless she is a major player.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 14:21
Actually, I thought of that one when I first started riding with Obama.  I think that she would be a splendid SoS.  She has met a lot of foreign leaders when Bill was pres.  The problem that I would have though is how she would be accepted in the Middle East.  Since that seems to be the trouble spot in foreign relations now I would rather have a man in that office.

Colin Powell did it before, that might be good.  Since he has the emence military background and SoS experience, not to mention the proper genitals to interact equally with radical Islamist, that he would be my current choice.

Put Hillary as Ambassador to the UN!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 15:11
Lawrence,
I have to grant the Hawkish point as far as lefties go. I suppose it could be worse. Could be the likes of Leahy or Frank.

Bryon,
As far as a woman in the middle east I don't have a problem with that. Thats they're problem. I supported Condoleeza (talk about a Hawk-I don't care what anybody says Condoleeza is my girl) in this, and I would support Hillary in this as well.

My problem with Hillary is that from a social program point of view (part of the DOS mandate as well) she ain't much to the right of Obama, which is still far to the left of 99% of the country. Though I expect and hope Obama centers himself up once in office. Its a question of how much.

Some had predicted that one of the ways Obama would 'offer an olive branch' to the Rght in order to fulfill his campaign promise of 'bringing us all together' would be to appoint moderates, or moderate conservatives to posts of importance. We are not seeing any evidence of it yet. Personally I don't expect it at all. If Obama were to do such a thing it would be unprecedented for him. Saying skroo you to the other side of the aisle is NOT bringing us together. Though I respect the skroo you approach I gotta say. I just cannot get behind all of this coombaya crapola. Its weak, naive, and phoney, and only makes for a wishy washy policy. A president must be a man or woman of conviction even if I do happen to disagree with them, like I did vehemently with Bush on Immigration. Say what you want, hate him if you will, Bush was a man of conviction. It remains to be seen if Obama can remain a man of conviction in the face of wide spread decent. THAT, is the test of a president. Not popularity. Popularity is the electorate being led around by the nose by the media.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 16:01
What I was saying about a woman SoS was, I am not sure how effective she would be dealing with radicals, ie Iran, Syria or whoever else.  I would have no problem with that but I would want someone in there, like Powell, that would be able to work better because of the "problem" with women that they tend to have.  Being the only male in my house, 1 wife 3 daughters 1 female chihuahua and 1 female mouse, I know why women can be oppressed.  They are a pain in the CANoli.  LOL. 

Not to mention Powell is a Repub. although he supported Obama.  I think him as a person, has transcended party lines.  He is also a great role model for the younger Americans: Black son of immigrant parents, grew up in Harlem, rose through the ranks of the Army to JC Chairman and NSA.  Thats not too bad.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 14:58
:-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 15:07
Is that you John? LOL
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 15:08
Nope. LOL
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 11-14-2008 15:25
I'm glad to see that the person in the background is seriously contemplating a wardrobe change.

Clearly the Johnny Cash look isn't working.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 15:33
My thought exactly! :-) Dude, join us in the year 2009 if you get the chance. LOL
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-15-2008 02:05
looks more like keith richards to me???
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 11-14-2008 20:28
Of course, Hilllary isn't as qualified as Palin. I don't think Hillary can see Russia from her house. 
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 11-15-2008 01:50
Just in case the idiots in washington are kidding, Gore for PCA director and Kerry for the secratary of defence whats next spreading our wealth? Glad I dont have much they want. Wind come up I go home now.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-17-2008 19:11
Cant let go? u have it in for that woman hey NEQA.
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 11-18-2008 13:31
Actually, no. I don't have it in for her. Seeing as how she dragged down the Repug. ticket, I am glad to see her on the national scene. It will be interesting to see what the Repugs. do with her. If she is the best candidate the Repugs. have, they'll be a minority party for a looooooong time.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-18-2008 15:12
well we cant all be blessed with the gift of gab and sell snake oil like ur saviour.
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 11-18-2008 20:07
When 80% of the country says we're on the wrong track, you don't need to sell anything. Almost any dem. could have been elected this year. Not nearly as many red states now as there was in 2004. And in 2012, they'll be even more blue states.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-19-2008 13:31
Given that the democratic congress has an even lower approval rating than Bush I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Also, 46% voiced their opinion that the Obama route was even worse still. And an even larger number didn't like either choice and refused to vote. You'd be hard pressed to find a mandate or watershed here.
So, it may be that 80% think we're on the wrong track, but it sure the hell ain't 80% saying Obama is the right one.
Personally I thought we were on the wrong track as well. Bush ain't no conservative. But I'd be interested to hear you argue that my thinking we were on the wrong track translates into support for Obama.
And given that a great majority of americans oppose the Auto industry bail out, to the point of staunch liberals talking like conservatives, in the face of the democratic party's insistence on bailing them out, it ain't lookin good early.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-19-2008 13:47
WHERE DID U GET 80%  If u r going by the actual count of votes, I think you may wanna  read up on the spread, it was more like 47% to 53%.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-19-2008 22:50
Mike,
Actually I don't think the 80% is too far off. Its the conclusion NEQA drew from that number that is innacurate. As I stated I am not happy with the direction of this country under the Bush White House or a democratic congress (left out of the NEQA's conclusion) either, but that doesn't mean I was prepared to commit national suicide with an Obama vote. Far from it. Many felt Bush was too liberal. Spending was out of control. Bush is no conservative.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-20-2008 03:44
Bush is a social conservative, but He [and too many other Repubs] is [are] NOT a fiscal conservative [s].
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-20-2008 13:27
Dave,
Well said.
And I might add, a geopolitical conservative as well. Its his fiscal policies that were troubling.
And this is what worries me about Obama. My belief is that he will move to the right geopoltically once he gets in and becomes privy to events around the world (a good thing). Most dems do. Its like a rude awakening to the real world. But his fiscal policies, like Bush, will be liberal, though much farther to the left than Bush to be sure. Wherein all of this will be a balanced budget? He is going to have to betray something. He is going to have to betray some part of his enthusiastic constituency or the federal deficit will spiral out of control even more than it is now. See auto bail out thread.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-21-2008 06:31
    js55: I don't think democratic voters expect a president to remain true to His/Her campaign promises to the extent that republican voters do, so when Obama saye He can't spend all the money He promised He would because Bush screwed everything up, His suporters won't have a problem with that.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-20-2008 18:11
Dave, you have used up your bracket privilege for the month.  No more [ ] for you!  :)

Agreed, by the way. 
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-21-2008 06:32
bozak: I went to highschool and learned how to use them [the brackets]. :-)
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State?