Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Agency-Issued Welder Certifications
- - By MikeN Date 03-14-2003 20:24
I work in New York City and the welders here typically have a card issued by the city upon the passing of a welder examination. Part of the exam is a practical test where candidates make specimen welds depending on various classications selected by them. Class 1 qualifies them for shop and field groove welding of materials 3/4 of an inch or less in thickness and for fillet welding materials in all thicknesses in all positions. These get renewed annually. My question is...Does this satisfy the AWS requirements for welder qualification for welders making joints covered under prequalified WPS?
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-20-2003 07:11
Is it inspected per AWS and is the test per AWS?
Parent - By MikeN Date 03-20-2003 12:40
The welds will be inspected as per AWS requirements. However, at this point, I don't have enough information on the qualification test to know if the essential variables match the procedure specifications. The contractor's weld engineer will reach out to the agencies that gave the exam to determine this information and get back to me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Agency-Issued Welder Certifications