Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / unload some dough
- - By tigrooter (**) Date 11-20-2008 04:34
Well it's about that time of year to unload some dough before everybody's favorite uncle gets his hand on it. I'm thinking about buying some pipe bevelers and just wanted some info from guys in the know. Your likes and dislikes about about them. I have some old hand crank chain types and am looking at the mathey dearman mag type. So let me have it!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-20-2008 06:22
never seen or used a mag type beveler but my choice is H&m I HAD A 3-8 H&M and you could flip the rack for the smaler torch like u i sold the 3-8 and bought new matheys on a matheyr machine the rack cannot be flipped wish i had known 2200 prior
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 11-20-2008 09:59
Not so sure about a magnetic if your around pipe with scale on it, A company in my area has one that likes to pick up scale and builds up on the wheels sometimes steering the machine a little off coarse.Imagine the operator paying attention may solve that problem.
Just info good or bad, good luck.
Uphill
Parent - - By Jake331 (**) Date 11-21-2008 00:39
yeaa I'm in the market for a beveler.... so a 3-8 is 2200?    I gotta be able to do 4" before we start tie ins I know the 4" beveler i $950.... but it ure would be nice to be able to cut cut 6 & 8 also... I guess that is with all the spacers for all those sizes?
Parent - By okiewelder2 (**) Date 11-24-2008 03:15
i recently purchased a sawyer 3 to 8 for 732.00 i like it. it is more compact and doesnt require changing dogs for different pipe sizes. that price is brand new
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 11-21-2008 00:48
I also had thought about scale, slag, rust and coatings. Did some looking today on the mathey web site the magnetic machines have 150 pounds of pull good to 15 mills of coating. The machine goes from 6"-unlimited so I'll still need a small one. I also looked at the tri tool 4X4 it goes from 2"-8". I got the ridgid drive for it on a shelf in the shop was going to sell it but think I got a new use for it.
Parent - By Jake331 (**) Date 11-26-2008 00:37
I bought a H&M 3 - 8 saturday for 1195...
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 11-27-2008 15:28
I have used those Mathey Dearman magnetic one before absolutely hated it.  Takes too long to set it up and then one little slip up or wrong thing it it comes off of the tracks.  I say just stick with H&M hand cranks.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 11-27-2008 21:38 Edited 11-27-2008 23:10
The mag units work great on small bare pipe. If they are going to be used on gas pipe you will spend more time cleaning the epoxy, coating and glue off the pipe than it's worth. With a machine that has pins one only needs to clean a spot for the pins and the actual burn area.  Also I don't care for the "quick set" models because if the marks aren't lined up perfect the cut will be "S" shaped.
The band type work very good on pipe 16 and larger. They use to sell bands as small as 6" but from 6 to 12 the band has to be slipped over the end of the pipe or the band will get a permanent set if it is sprung open on these smaller diameters. Cons- as with the mag machine the coating has to be removed over the entire area. Pros- the bands are very light and compact compared to a saddle type and with the band type it only requires 7" clearance.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-27-2008 23:05
munn supply, enid, ok.  mathey 3-8 is 975 with all the dogs. 580 234 4120 ask for phil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / unload some dough