Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hydro testing of P91
- - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 12-10-2008 16:27
Experts,

Can anybody give me information about water temperature (and ambient temperature) when hydro testing P91?
I know a certain temperature is required, I would just like to know the correct background.

I have done some search on google without result - maybe I use wrong search words.

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-10-2008 19:35
Thats a good question. But as much P91 as I've been involved in I do not ever remember doing hydros on it.
I would engineeer it though as requiring the water and ambient to be stabilized above the ductile to brittle transition temp which varies.
If I had a requirement for hydro I think I'd run a series of Charpies to find out exactly where it is. Though the base metal will be considerably better than most weld metal. That will be your problem.
Now, if its summer time in Nawlins, its not much of a concern, but winter in Michigan and you might want to verify.
I'd start at about +40F and verify impact strength, lateral expansion, and % of brittle fracture and then go from there. Run a few more and set up a charpy curve.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-10-2008 21:10
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-10-2008 22:17
70deg F is as good a number as any, though in the winter time its gonna be tough heating up large volumes of water. 70degF matches most of the impact testing regimes of B9 filler metals (though its tough to get heat/lot impacts on GTAW and SAW fillers) so you know what the values will be.
And be careful if you have used FCAW in the weld. These fillers may not make the 15ft/lbs @ 70degF quoted on Walt's site.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 12-11-2008 12:31
Just what I was looking for....

Thanks both of you.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hydro testing of P91