Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding machine calibration
- - By hogan (****) Date 12-05-2008 17:05
I'm trying to research some requirements for machine calibration in regards to an AISC certification. Can someone reference, AISC or AWS, what is required for machine calibration. What are the required items to check and what are the allowed tolerances, per code. Thanks for any help.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 12-11-2008 12:11 Edited 12-11-2008 12:37
Hogan,

I've had to calibrate my machines for about 10 years, for the Government.  Try looking under Welding Code TACOM 12479550.  I believe the tolerance is +, or - 5 to 10%.  Miller and Lincoln also have information.  ISO as well.

The procedure I use for my Miller Syncrowave's is to set the machines at 100, 200 and 250 amps.  Put a clamp type amp/voltage meter around the torch and measure the output.  Compare the differences.  I made a form that identifies the machines, values, and frequency.  I include the removal of the sheet metal covers on the machine, blow out with air, and replace covers within the procedure.  The clamp meter is included in our equipment log and has scheduled calibration.

I called Miller and the manufacture of our induction brazers many years ago for help.  They said with modern electronics, the machine would stop operating before it's way out of tolerance.  It is what it is.

To me, it's a little bit of over-kill, but it satisfies our auditors.  Try to pawn it off to your maintenance department.

Keith
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2008 13:05
Hogan,
I found that our welding supply can come over to our shop and verify all of our machines for a lot less money than we can keep the certifications up on the gages used to check the welding machines. We used to pawn it off on the maint. guys too until we received a quote from the welding supply. But having to verify the machines every three months may not work out as a cost effective solution for you though.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2008 13:15 Edited 12-11-2008 13:31
As for your question, I'm not sure that you will find the wording " calibration of welding machines" in the AISC audit requirements. They slip it in as requiring "all equipment, and or gages used in inspection, that can effect the quality of the product must be calibrated"...or some such wording. They can lump a whole bunch of equipment into this as the auditor sees fit...I think the wording is too loose and vague because they could really expand it to mean everything between the front door and the back door needs calibrating as it effects the product in some way.

My memory isn't what it used to be but I think it falls under Audit policy #15...I will try to look it up for you when I get a few minutes.

OK Look in audit policy # 15, 15a and in the Building Standard Element # 14...this deal with the calibration of equipment and tools used for inspection.....
Attachment: AISC2006BuildingStandard.pdf (518k)
Attachment: AISCAuditPolicies32106.pdf (340k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding machine calibration