Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Sec VIII Div 1 vessel
- - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-10-2008 23:46
A vessel on one of our projects has a nipple coming off a thread-o-let and it is leaking. Can that threaded connection and all threaded connection after the thread-o-let be welded without an R1 report? Where does the Sec VIII boundry end?

Jim
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-11-2008 13:55
Jim,
Go to NBIC Part 3   3.3.2. d) 1)
Routine Repairs
So, I don't believe you do, if the AI waives it.
Make sure your AI is in on the decision.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 12-11-2008 14:33
Jim,
Look at U1 of ASME (introduction) regarding the scope and where the boundry ends.

Regarding routine repairs - If I'm not mistaken, you still need to fill out an R1 to document what you did, it's just that certain inspections and testing (like hydro) can be waived with the AI's concurrence. 

Either way, as Js55 mentioned, make sure your AI is involved.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-11-2008 15:34
Actually I think new tito is correct.
NBIC 3.3.2
"Routine repairs are repairs for which the requirements for in-process involvment by the Inspector and stamping by the 'R' certificate holder may be waived as determined appropriate by the jurisdiction and the Inpsector."
So this paragraph addresses Inspector involvment and stamping only. Not reporting.

NBIC 5.2
"Repairs that have been perfomed in accordance with the NBIC shall be documented on Form R-1, Report of Repair, as shown in this section."
As soon as you invoke "Routine Repair", you are essentially by default performing in accordance with NBIC.

I stand corrected.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-11-2008 17:44
Thanks tito. That's it. U-1 (e) (1)

Thanks for everyones help.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 12-12-2008 14:28
Not a problem Jim.

Make sure to to update as to what your AI determines - if it's considerd routine or not.  I looked through both ASME and NBIC regarding your question and couldn't come up with a consesus.

I'm curious as to what welding a nipple to a thread-o-let would be considered.  I'm thinking you'd still have to hydro for some reason - and it be considered a "repair", complete with "R" stamping - just for the simple fact you are welding and basically "extending" an opening.  I could be way off here, but then again I have never dealt with seal welding threads on a stamped vessel.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-13-2008 15:35
It's outside the boundry of Sec. VIII. So the A.I said he has no involment. ASME B31.5 picks up so we did a VT and PT on the welds and a in-service test.

Thanks
Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Sec VIII Div 1 vessel