Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Automotive body repair
- - By Daon (*) Date 03-27-2003 03:58
I'm a CWI in Israel. Theres a law suit going here regarding among other things, the welding of sheet steel at an auto-body repair shop and I was asked for my input on quality requirements for such welds. The only thing I've found up to now is D8.8-97 which gives some insight.
What is the practice in other places?
Do auto body shops have certified welders?
Are the other codes on this subject?
Are there any federal or state regulations regarding this?
Any help would be appreciated. There was an accident but luckly no one was injured.
The auto body shop in question says he's been welding cars for 25 years and no one's ever complained. I told him that with welds like these, probably no one lived to complain.
Regards to all,
Daon
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-27-2003 07:17
There was a scare about that issue here, and I have a friend with much info and literature on this subject. That's all it was.

Unfortunately for you he is a wallflower and will not post in here.
Parent - By Daon (*) Date 03-27-2003 13:17
Thanks DGXL,
Please give your friend my email, then he can remain a wallflower and at the same time help me get something started.
Daon
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-27-2003 12:41
Daon,
I lost a friend in a car that came apart behind the front seats. He and his cousin both lost thier lives. This friend and his Dad ran a body shop. They found a really fast, powerful car but it had been wrecked. They took two cars and cut them in half and welded the good halves back together to make one. The unibody (no frame) car came apart at the joints where it was put together, while they were traveling at a high rate of speed.
I'm not familiar with the codes and regulations regarding this type of welding. Maybe someone will post something that will shed some light on the subject.
John Wright
Parent - - By Daon (*) Date 03-27-2003 13:15
I found an auto-body shop owner that is willing to invest time, energy,(and money). With him I'm writing a procedure to clarify how to repair, how and what and when to inspect, and how to certify the welders and checkers. It will take afew weeks to prepare but in the end I'll translate it (into english) and either post it here or send it to AWS.
Hearing about people losing loved ones pushes me even more to do this quickly.
Daon
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 04-02-2003 00:44
U.S. DOT or state DOT requires certified welders when working on heavy trucks. Sorry I can't cite anything specific but I know this to be accurate because Maryland and Virginia require certificates for mechanics performing welding.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Automotive body repair