Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Air Frame Certs
- - By jsuder Date 03-28-2003 00:50
Can anyone provide information on the process of getting certified on air frame welding 4130?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-28-2003 01:53
Mil-STD-1595 could be a start.

I have qualified using this standard by several companies in the past for aircraft and aerospace weldments. I would think whoever you are doing the welding for would specify what the performance qualification (certification) testing criteria would be - before you did it.

What is the application?
Parent - - By jsuder Date 03-31-2003 04:06
Most of the welding I do is non-critical i. e., exhaust systems and 4130 tubing and some light gauge aluminum. Other welding is for bolt on components for airplanes. I believe the company calls most things 'experermental' so there's really no requirements for certification. I was wondering if there was a general certification that covers .060" 4130 tubing in all positions.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-01-2003 14:34
As stated above. The benchmark currently accepted by most fabricators and depot level repair stations for aerospace fusion welding is Mil Std 1595A, However AWS has published D17.1 in 2001, my understanding is that the new AWS standard was/is intended to superseed/replace 1595. I have reviewed it and it appears comprehensive and up to date, especially in dealing with titanium post weld surface conditions. D17 addresses certification/qualification standards, filler selection and Visual/destructive examination of test welds. It includes catagories of criticality. The best part is that it is mercifully brief, comming in at about 100 pages.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Air Frame Certs