Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Testing Machine Calibration.
- - By JCaprarulo (**) Date 03-29-2003 23:43
Fellows.
I will appreciate if someone is able to inform to me,where can I find out
any mandatory specification which states about necessary calibration and certification for testing equipment (i.e.Tension Testing Machine) in order to validate testing for welding specimens.
Thanks in advance.
Joe.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-30-2003 00:11
It depends, who are you trying to get an accreditation or approval from or for?

If you are simply calibrating your own test equipment (for your use only) and not under pretense of an accreditation, certification or approval, try NIST, ASTM, A2LA, ICC ES, etc. to name a few.

Whoever does your calibration, make sure you ask for calibration certificates.

FYI: There are over 160 accreditation agencies in the US. This does not include jurisdictional agencies (cities, counties, etc.) Most other countries have one main organization or very few.
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-30-2003 15:20
Hi Joe

Calibration of measuring and test equipment is typically a requirement of quality standards such as ISO9000. These merely state that the calibration needs to be traceable to national or international standards. Generally, any organisation that can give you this service would be acceptable.

As stated by another post, many countries have one overiding body that accredits these organisations. In South Africa this body is called SANAS. (South African National Acreditation Service) There are however a number of over-seas bodies that also operate in South Africa. In your case, I believe that you should be OK if you use any of the bodies that can proove that they will callibrate your equipment to national or international standards.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Testing Machine Calibration.