Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Gas logs with forklift propane tank
- - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-30-2008 13:53
I installed gas logs in my home and everything appears to hooked up correctly but the burner wont burn. I'musing a 45lb propane tank off a fork lift hidden under my deck. does anyone or has anyone tried this and maybe knows what might be wrong?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-30-2008 14:16
Did you allow enough time for the air to purge from your line?  It took a while to purge mine when I installed an unvented gas heater.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-30-2008 14:42
Well I'm not sure that I did. I'm only 5 ft form tank and its only a 3/8" line. It should purge quick. Did you use a similar setup?
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-30-2008 17:10
No, mine was about 50' of pipe - a lot more volume than you have.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-30-2008 17:26
I have in the past ran across bottles where if the gas line wasn't completely tight, they wouldnt allow gas to flow. If memory serves me correctly, you can open the valve on those and no gas will flow until the line is completely tight.
Parent - By ANDY LARKINS (*) Date 12-30-2008 17:40
Check and see if your bottle is pulling liquid or vapor from the tank, alot of forklifts I have seen pull liquid not vapor.  I hope this helps and Happy New Year to ya'll>

Andy
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-30-2008 18:05
I can get the pilot to light just fine but the burner wont come on like there is no gas. I dont know how to check the pressure and it is going through a regulator for logs and such. I've been told to pull of the other side of the tank for the liquid /vapor thing. if the pilot is burning fine shouldnt the logs????
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-30-2008 18:50
Could there be a thermostatically controlled gas valve getting in the way?
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-30-2008 19:00
Not that I'm aware of. I'm thinking my idea was bad now and that I do need a big tank???
Parent - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 12-31-2008 03:37
just a tought, is your heater set up for natural gas or propane, i live in louisiana out in the country, we do not have natural gas so we use propane and if you buy a heater you have to tell them it will have to have a jet for propane, most stores that carry heaters have them set up for natural gas. you might want to check and see what size and what kind of jet is in your heater. you will have to get a jet for propane, ace hardware or any hardware store in your area should have one. hope this helps you. where are you located at.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-31-2008 05:33
Most of those burners have a thermocuple that will not open the main burner without hear from the pilot. On some gas controls the pilot flame gets bigger when the thermostat calls for heat. When the bigger flame heats a sensor the main burner gas turns on. Check the thermostat setting.

The pressure in a propane tank depends on the temperature of the propane. The fork lift tank should work at least for a while [provided You are hooked up to the "gas" tap] but MAY freze up when it gets close to empty if You draw it down hard enough. Larger tanks are less sensitive to this problem.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-31-2008 13:08
The logs have a LP and NG setting. it is set on LP from the factory as we are in SC. Maybe I have the temp down to low so I'll try that and see. that sounds right because the pilot works fine so when I hit the botton no gas is present. I'll check the temp setting try and kick it on.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Gas logs with forklift propane tank