Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Fog lights
- - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2008 04:34
I have often wondered why people insist on using fog lights when there is no fog. I think the first clue that they don't need to be turned on all the time is that they are called "FOG LIGHTS". If in fact you cannot see the 20 feet of ground that they cover in front of the car, you should most likely stay at home and not try driving at night. As you are most likely a hazard to yourself, the people in your car and everyone else on the road that has to bare witeness to your stupidity. 
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-31-2008 06:07
I ask the same question about people with severally over sized off road tires, on a jacked up truck, that has obviously never seen the first bite of a trail or offroad. If it ever got muddy it was because the dumba## got drunk and trenched his yard coming home from the bar.
They are as much or more of a road hazzard as anyone.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 12-31-2008 19:35
Come drive in New York, where the pot-holes make the road look like a moonscape, and there are always oncoming cars so hi-beams are never really an option, and you'll understand the desire for more light wherever you can get it.

What annoys me, is people who have misaligned lights.
Fog lights are supposed to cast a beam, with a sharply defined top, which slopes down, 4" every 20'.
I've seen many people with fog lights so low, that the driver's view of the beam is obscured by the hood, and others high enough to dazzle oncoming traffic.
The worst IMNSHO, are those people who put HID lamps into headlights designed for ordinary tungsten lamps, for that bluer, and brighter effect.
The problem is, that headlights are an optical projector of sorts, and changing the filament from longitudinal to axial, changes the projection to be much brighter in the corners, which is exactly where it blinds oncoming traffic.  That much more worse than even those stupid cool blue bulbs.

I know that the sharply defined top of the fog lights can flash at oncoming traffic when hitting bumps, but because of DOT restrictions on headlamp power output, car manufacturers have more recently been working on tightening the beam output of headlamps, to keep more light on the road, and that ends up with the same sharply defined top in most new car's lo-beams anyway.

Besides, factory installed fog lights automatically extinguish when the hi-beams are turned on, so if you see that the fog lights are on, and are still seeing too much light, its most likely from their low-beams being up in the trees.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-01-2009 17:45
yes they are FOG LIGHTS they cameon my truck from the factory and i have 20/20 vision i run with mine on so i dont have to use the high beams because i forget to dim them and get flashed at by on comming cars so would you rather me run with my hi beams on totqwlly blinding you or run with low beams and fog lights so i can se where i'm going and dont hit any wild animals while drivig to location to get the rig back on line that supplies the oil to make the gas that is run in your car lol sorry that was sarcastic but i couldnt resist
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-01-2009 19:50
not to worry I haven't been offended by sarcasm for quit some time, and normally hand out a "Hurt Feelings Report" to those that are. LOL And for those High beam guys I have a 10,000 candle power spotlight that helps me see the whites of there eyes.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-02-2009 14:05
lol make sure it's not a cop they really dont like that dont ask me how i know lol
Parent - - By Dodge84 Date 01-02-2009 18:04
haha. I just flash my high beams and fog lights at the folks that steadily keep there high beams on or have the foglights installed incorrectly. They don't like my fog lights, they are....very bright. teehee
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-03-2009 18:36
my fogs are factory not really really bright but they help
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-03-2009 03:53
I knew of a boater that shined a 1,000,000 CP spotlight on what turned out to be a DEA helicopter one night, they got the "Boarding from Hell" the following day. That spotlight must have been really bright through night vision goggles.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-03-2009 05:12
I used to have 2@747 landing lights, would light the road up like it was daylight for almost as far as you could see, no-one would keep there brights on once i hit those on for a second.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-03-2009 18:37
I want some got any extras
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-04-2009 02:47
sorry,I haven't had those since the late 80's.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-04-2009 14:46
oh well maybe i can find some on ebay lol
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 01-02-2009 20:00
I think it's cuz you darn welders are always trying to look kewl and drivin with yer sunglasses on!!!!   LOL. . . . Hope you had a great Christmas and New Years Shad.  I spent mine 332 miles North of the Artic Circle but it was a helluva dinner.  All you could eat king crab legs and sirloins and all the trimmins (plus a lil double time!!)  I heard we might put on a few welders in the future but haven't seen it in writing yet,  we'll see. 
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 01-03-2009 18:40
No, not sunglasses ... our hoods ! They add extra light so we can see through the dark lens . You know us welders, we don't do anything or go anywhere without our hoods ! LOL    I have a buddy who got tore up from the floor up  one night and was driving with his hood on . He got pulled over and was given a ticket ... when the cop said, "sign right here ... " he flipped his hood down and yelled ' watch your eyes ! ' And he signed it and got back in his truck and drove off ... with his hood on ! LOL   He's one crazy SOB !
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-03-2009 18:42
my wifes cousin wants me to go to some job in Alaska said it pays 125 an hr thats not enuff to freeze to death unless it's in the shop
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-03-2009 23:26
AWW come on now, have you become sissyfied? You can handle that cold for 125. Thats MONEY!! LOL
Parent - By Dodge84 Date 01-04-2009 03:43
Sure is some good money. I'd freeze my ass off for 125/hr.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-04-2009 14:45
nope not no sissy just aint gona freezez my a%% off for that and besides my wife dont like me bein 9 hrs from the housean you imagine bein i alaska i have a chance to go to another place for 75 but need to talk to wife first if it goes like it should i'll make 100k in 4 months
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-04-2009 17:34
You be sure to let me know if they need inspectors. :-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-04-2009 14:50
i tell ya what John ol buddy i'm headed home tomorow i'll swing by pick up up we'll jump a plane and go to alaska together come on it's money i'l even rent a ,echanical bull for ya lol
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-04-2009 17:32
Im in!!! Lets go. :-) LOL  You weld it, I will inspect it, and we will cash those big money checks.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-04-2009 21:23
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO INSPECTING time to see if you can still run with the big boys and besides having you as my inspector could be good or bad i'd still be nervous as hell either way i cant stand for someone to look over my shoulder when i'm welding so dust your hood off and lets go lol
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-04-2009 23:48
LMFAO!! I have not welded for money in quite a while, and I am NOT going to rig out while I still hold my certification. Don't worrry, I don't "bird dog" my welders. :-) There is nothing I can do to a welder that they don't do to themselves. You have nothing to worry about, just weld it up and it will be fine.

Besides, why would I want to go back to welding it up when I can just watch you do it? :-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 00:56
to see if you can out weld me lmao no rig required in alaska all single hand
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:03
damnit man....   125 single hand...  hook me up.  Already used to the cold...  and love AK in the summer when I was there, how bad could it be?   Lucky
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:08
i'll see what i can find out ike i said it's my wifes cousin he's a 798er and likes to brag alot when he's around me it's prolly B/S but i'll check i'm use to the cold but still dont like it and 125 aint enuff for me
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:16
we're doin it here for less... and supplying - how much worse than -19F  could it be, lol.  Lucky
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:19
yeah i wouldnt be there either you guys have to be nuts to be out in that kind of stuff got an ameail with sum pics last week where the ext. cord broke in 1/2 when he unrolled it thats time to go to the house
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:26
hehe.. yeah, gotta buy the contractor grade cords or low temp ones.  Funny how much difference in quality.  It's supposed to be a little warmer this week anyway - up to near 20 for highs.  Tie-ins this week and more line after.  Lucky
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:29
better you than me i'm headed home for a lil bit tomorow and then back to brady
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-05-2009 14:24
Well I have my doubts about being able to out weld you. LOL I better stick to inspection. :-)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-08-2009 23:17
come on chicken
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-08-2009 23:24 Edited 01-08-2009 23:27
Not scared, just getting old and lazy. :-) 

As for out welding you, probably not, but I could sure pass the test to to get online and try. LOL

Hope your trip home went well and everything got taken care of. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-08-2009 23:37
trip was ok got home and had a knock down drag out with the step son wich in turn ticked off the wife and that caused another fight everything got worked out and all went as planned just took longer than normal lol
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Fog lights