Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Root Reinforcement
- - By Tyson (*) Date 01-11-2009 02:41
Hello everyone. Being a new welder I have found this forum very useful. I've been practicing and self teaching myself for 6G GTAW root/hot and SMAW fill and cap but am having some problems with my root reinforcement. I'm using 2" schedule 60 carbon steel coupons. 70s 1/8" filler, 1/8" Gap, and 1/8" Tungsten at about 90 amps. I'm using small feathered tacks at 6 and 12 o'clock position. My root is going in very smooth and uniform with good tie-ins. Looking for 3/32-1/8 ID reinforcement but am getting closer to a flush band. I'm oscillatiing only the width of my filler making sure to tie into the sides. I'm also feel I'm using decent speed to avoid suck back. I thought pushing more filler in would help but seems I'm just laying more metal onto the bevels. I also tried turning up my heat but didn't feel confident my skill level would allow me to carry the heat. Any suggestions would help. Thanks
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 01-11-2009 04:56 Edited 01-11-2009 04:58
Every place that I've tested at usually want about a 32nd of reinforcement on the bead. Try turning your heat down about ten amps an push the filler rod in with just a lil bit of pressure. Then turn up on the hot pass an that oughtta push the root in a lil bit more. Usually all they want on a visual inspection is to see that it's uniform an aint got any suck back or flat all the way around on the bead. If it's above flush then you're good.
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 01-11-2009 05:15
Hey tyson your on the right track, first off i would recomend using four tacks at 12,3,6, and 9 o'clock that will keep your gap consistent. I'm assuming your walking the cup, use a number#4 or #6 cup set your tungsten stick out accordingly to your cup size this is important helps you maintain the correct speed too much or less will hender you. Keep your tungsten pointed slightly straight in oscillate just enough to tie-in the walls as you said. If your root is flush you may need to slow down just alittle bit your amps sound about right anywere from 90-110 amps. You stated your only using two tacks at 6 and 12 this is probally letting your gap close up to tight. When i tack up cupons i use 1/8th gap wire for the first tack 12 o'clock then turn the cupon 180 degrees remove the gap wire before you make the tack at 6 make sure you set the gap slightly bigger than your 1/8th wire to allow for gap shirinkage then tack next split the difference in the sides and tack at 3 and 6 o'clock. Also you don't have to worry about suck back when putting the root pass in, suck back occurs on the hot pass which is caused by slow travel speed and leads to excessive heat input the best way to avoid suck back is use 3/32 filler wire on the hot pass and turn your heat up 10 amps. One thing to look for when putting the root pass in if your heat,speed, and gap is right there will be a faint line in the center of the weld as your welding look behind the weld puddle you will be able to see the line hope this helps a little practice makes perfect. 
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-11-2009 20:34
Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't had any issues with my gap closing up K. but like you said maybe I need to slow down. Thanks tighand I will try turning down my heat too. I have yet to see this line in my root so I'm guessing I don't have it down yet.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 01-12-2009 01:30
You'll be able to see the line when you get it down. It's really faint but it'll be there.
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-12-2009 03:27
Here's some pics I hope they work. This is best quality I could get so bare with me please. This is just some backyard welding I been practicing so take it easy on me. Some good constructive criticism would be appreciated. Thanks

Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 01-14-2009 00:20
Tyson,

Since this is just practice, try puting a 3/32 root opening and then move
up to the 1/8.

Run one hot pass with the GTAW..then one hot pass with the 7018 and
then start the cover passes. It will fill up the grove better.

PS, I did this just today..lol but I tigged it all the way out in the 6 G position.
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-14-2009 01:17
Thanks Erik I will try the 3/32 gap. My root is starting to look quite a bit better. I haven't started practicing my hot pass and fill yet.
Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 01-14-2009 03:20
I run my root pass at around 130. Try to keep the stinger closer to a 90
degree angle. This will push the metal through a little better. I just ride the
rod and if it starts to get hot and I blow a small hole I just feed it a little filler rod
and it fills up instantly. Just keep a light touch on the rod so, you can make
quick adjustments.

Do you have a petal or scratch start? The petal makes it so much easier.

My 7018 rods are 3/32 when I used them. I ran them at 80 or 85.

Hope this helps. You will get it just takes practice.
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-14-2009 04:08
I use about the same process just with less heat. I've found that welding with more heat I have less room for error and quicker adjustments have to be made. I don't feel I have the skill level required to run that kind of heat.

I'm not using any kind of pedal. Figure I wouldn't be using one in the field so I would just practice without one. I'm using 3/32 7018 for my fill and cap at about 95 amps. Still getting the hang of welding that 2"
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-14-2009 05:36
Your beads look good from what I can see on the outside, and am not seeing any icicles/stalagtites internally.I think your amps sound about right. Also as mentioned earlier, you will want at least 3 tacks to keep from closing up. Since you're just practicing TIG, I would learn to fill and cap with TIG also. Getting a smooth cap is another skill all on its own, and besides, most small bore stainless is tigged all the way. Learn to cap with both weave and stringers (this will be good to know on 6G tests). I agree with not using a remote (foot pedals are for shops and aluminum). I've never used one in the field. Just like learning to drive with a clutch, you'll always be able to switch to an automatic.

One last thing, is the penetration. A consistent over flush (1/32" max) has always worked for me.  1/8" is a major restriction in flow and most procedures would reject that much root reiforcement. I've only seen a couple of (idiot) inpectors that "required" so much and when asked to see an 1/8" on paper, they could not show it.

I applaud your efforts and hope you get out there making the big bucks (as I'm sure you've heard multi process usually pays extra) soon.
Parent - By Tyson (*) Date 01-14-2009 20:43
Thanks for the tips superflux. I will work on practicing my fill and cap with TIG. Any tips on running them?
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-15-2009 00:39
Here's some welds I did today. Hopefully they're starting to look better. The picture quality is a little better too. I turned my heat up a little today also. Let me know what I need to work on.

Got kind of hot when I was tieing into my top tack. Thats what you seeing in the bottom of these pictures.

Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-15-2009 01:47
How heavy of a land are you putting on there I have all my guys practice with a heavy land then once they get that worry about being fast. Lets see some fill caps hows that going for you by the way nice work good to see a guy that will do a little practice on his own time.
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-15-2009 02:13
Hey thanks Johny. I'm not using much of a landing if any (1/16). Maybe I'll try putting a bigger landing on tomorrow and see what happens. Haven't started filling or capping yet. Wasn't sure where to start to go about running them. I know I need to learn to TIG my fill and cap but I'm practicing for my common arc which will be SMAW. Any tips on running my fill and cap would help. Thanks again Johny
Parent - - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 01-15-2009 04:44
Tyson, you don't use a land on the face of the bevel when tigging the root in thats a bad practice. If the Inspectors looks at your fit up which they will on the common-arc test they will look you out no exceptons. 
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-15-2009 15:35
That is true but I have noticed in practice it lowers the frustration to have a bit of a land on there get it figured out how you move around the pipe. Then when you have all the basics down worry about it being perfect just get comfortable with it for now but thanks K.Sexton I should have told him that. Also are you taking a file to the inside of the pipe to make sure its clean just seems to be a lot of material hanging down inside. And in practice I would still have a land and finish every weld all the way out you have to do it anyhow then your not just focused on your root and getting frustrated good luck and thank you K for picking up on that should have been more specific.
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-15-2009 23:44
I'll remember not to put a landing when testing but it might help just getting used to moving around the pipe. Thanks for clarifying that K I wouldn't have known otherwise. Johny didn't really clean the weld on the inside. I think it's more my inconsistancy when feeding my filler. Any tips on running my hot pass, filler, and cap would help though.
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-16-2009 00:09
Kind of hard to give you tips until you try it and we can see where you are having problems. As I said before I would finish every weld all the way out you have to anyhow try the subsequent  passes and see what happens good luck and stay calm it helps.
Parent - By K.Sexton26 (**) Date 01-16-2009 03:16
didn't mean to step on your toes johny just wanted him to know what the test will consist of on fit-up
Parent - By flange jockey (*) Date 03-15-2009 01:39 Edited 03-15-2009 01:43
k no slight on you, i wonder how much of yours, and other punters money went on that pearl of wisdom, some sort sitting behind a desk, wanting to justify his seat on the gravy train no doubt. lets guess the metal cools to a more brittle finish thus a weaker butt. lets try to encourage young lads towards this game. here in ireland we follow a similar code, right leg on the ground at all times, touch down with the left, automatic cutout,  no exceptions  , spare me. tyson really impressive work. f/j
Parent - - By Tyson (*) Date 01-20-2009 02:47
These are some root passes I ran today. I'm running my heat right around 100 amp now on my root.

Here's a couple of my first hot passes. I know they need a lot of work. I was having a little bit of a purge problem as you can probably see. I could see where I wasn't washing onto the bevels all that well too.

Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-22-2009 01:41
What type of gas lense are you using?  I use the jumbos I think they are a 3/4" Lenses and a #8, 10, 12 cup.  They will help with your purging issues.  You also need another insulator or isolator.  What P.S.I. are you running on your regulator?  I would suggest at least 30 to 40 I run more if I am welding outside or stainless or an exootic.

They are looking pretty good especially for learning on your own.
Parent - By Tyson (*) Date 01-22-2009 01:58
I'm not sure what type of gas lense I'm using. Using number 8 and 10 for my cups. Running right in between 35-40 psi on my regulator. Maybe it was windy that day I don't remember. Also my argon is getting low down to around 400 psi. I turned up my heat on my hot passes today. Ran right around 125 amps. I think it ran smoother and washed in better. I'll try to get some more pics up tomorrow to show my progress. Thanks for the encouragement everybody.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Root Reinforcement