Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / bending dba studs
- - By hogan (****) Date 01-15-2009 21:24
We are making some embeds that are required to be bent at 90 degrees for the last foot. They are 5/8" dba 4' long. What requirements are there for making the bend (not pertaining to radius requirements)? Are there restrictions on hot or cold? Work is to AISC, AWS D1.1. Thanks for any help or references.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 01-15-2009 22:27
we have always cold formed them, in our rebar bender which rolls the material as it bends it rather than stretching it as in what a press brake would do. i am not aware of any forming restrictions. however lettin a guy loose with a torch and a hole in a table probably wouldn't be a good idea. lol

JJ
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 01-15-2009 23:28
or you could do what chuck norris does and stare at it till it bends to your liking.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-16-2009 15:12
We made a few of these and they were required to be a third party inspector (special inspection). The inspector watched us make them and accepted them. They were sent to the project site, and the on-site inspector saw that they were bent with the use of heat. He did not like that and rejected them. So I call the specials project manager to find out what was going on. He told me that as a rule of thumb that rebar is to be cold bent. I explained that this was dba not rebar and I would like a code reference for the why they were rejected. He says IBC. I ask for a more specific reference. His response was that it would take a while to try to find it. Additionally, it was our responsibility to prove that we could bend dba with heat. That he could not accept these without literature stating it was OK. I explained that this seemed oppisite from everything I had ever experienced. That if they were to reject these they would need to provide a code reference as to why. His response was they are rejected until i prove otherwise. So I told him to get me a copy of the report rejecting them.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 01-16-2009 16:46
Dumb question here - what's dba?  I have a copy of the IBC and would be happy to look it up for you.

Bob G.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 01-16-2009 16:50
deformed bar anchor
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 01-16-2009 16:50 Edited 01-16-2009 17:14
wow, that's an odd spot to be in. i agree with your stand on the matter. i myself know of no restrictions in the IBC for how to form dba bar. his reference to the rule of thumb for rebar to be cold formed may be correct, but where would his code reference be for that? on a side note you could send a extra work order to them explaining that additional items need to be replaced due to a rejection that is not based on a code requirement, per your contract.(if that is indeed the case). that would get some attention, and get some scrambling to find the restriction that they say exists somewhere. worst case is they find something that you where unaware of and the pieces would need to be replaced and all would be well.
i am very curious as to how your situation pans out please keep us informed.

JJ

edit, section 1907 of IBC covers cold bending of reinforcement bars, not anchor bars(dba).
i'm still diggin. i can't even find a reference to deformed bar anchors in the IBC at all.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-16-2009 16:59
I talked to the GC and we agreed that they are OK and will wait for a report from the inspector. Funny thing is at one time I worked for this company. I know this is not SOP.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 01-16-2009 17:10
good news!
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-16-2009 17:56
Seems that if he's rejecting it, he should be the one to prove that it is rejectable.

Glad to hear it' s ok.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 19:32
I typed out a long reply that goes along with what Scott was saying about the burden of proof should not be on you to prove is it is rejectable.....but I got called away.

Anyway, glad it seems to be working out for you.
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 01-22-2009 21:27
IBC-06 Section 1907.2 Minimum Bend Diameters. Minimum reinforcement bend diameters utilized in concrete construction shall comply with ACI 318, Section 7.2
Section 1907.3 Bending. .......shall comply with ACI 318, section7.3

Sorry, I don't have a copy of the ACI 318-05 but here is a link. (American Concrete Institute)

http://www.concrete.org/PUBS/newpubs/318-05.htm
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / bending dba studs