Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gas pockets?
- - By wagon83 (**) Date 01-19-2009 17:33
Does anyone happen to know what would cause gas pockets in the bead when welding on pipe with 5p+?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-19-2009 19:09
A lot of wind ;-)  Contaminants in the weld, to long of an arc length. Those are some things to trouble shoot first.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-19-2009 22:10
Hello wagon83, Kix gave you some good suggestions to look for, I might add, that 5P+ and 5P requires a certain amount of moisture to be present in the flux in order to work properly, if you have excessive moisture that has been picked up in the flux coating you might also see some pin-holing. I have also noticed this with the 5P+ over the regular 5P that this occurs more often without any apparent reason. Best of luck and regards, Allan
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 01-19-2009 23:34
or being to hot burning up the metal
Parent - - By wagon83 (**) Date 01-20-2009 02:11
Thanks for the advice just had some repairs this last summer and would like to prevent it from happening
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-20-2009 13:53
To add a little here, if the porosity is in the root pass only and not in any of the fills or cap then you can rule out some of the potential problems. We recently ran into a rash of this problem. The welders wanted to blame the electrodes, inspectors wanted to blame the welders. I ran some test on sections cut from that line and narrowed it down to inadequate cleaning of the inside of the pipe. They were trying to clean the inside with a file - 4" pipe, .219 wt - heavy oxidation on inner wall. I equiped them with die grinders, cleaned 1/4 in. back. Problem gone. Line initially had 18 girth welds, 16 rejected by x-ray for porosity in the root before job was stopped. This is not to say you are not experiencing other problems as stated, i.e. long arc..too much current...just something to consider.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 01-22-2009 00:42
anywhere I have worked you must clean any weld areas atleast 1" back from the weld to be made.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-22-2009 13:32
On the inside of pipe? Haven't seen that before. At least 1" externally is pretty standard.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-22-2009 14:15
This is good info, I just started pipe but never thought about cleaning the inside of the pipe.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gas pockets?