Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Climate Czar?? A change is coming!
- - By uphill (***) Date 01-14-2009 22:55
Hello,
    The latest news is that Obama is appointing a Climate Zar to be in charge of all that are in charge of mother earth. Sounds like more big government getting into saving the world as they think it should be.
The position answers to the President and is under his control. Does this bother anyone else? Now that they have switched to global cooling when do you think there will be a Footprint tax on all welding fumes?
Anyway 2009 will be interesting to say the least. Lets all hope that something normal shines through the shinola.
Minnesota is looking to ban all lead shot , bullets and fishing lures now. I can just about imagine who be behind this. The bird folk have been monitoring lead ppm in car struck birds of prey and found a couple of points higher than target ppm numbers.
Dave

Link to story  http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE4A51BT20081106?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews
Parent - - By warmka weld (*) Date 01-14-2009 23:40
Would really like to know how choking off energy companies with tighter enviromental regulations will fix the economy. Always thought if it costs those companies more, it costs me more. Windmills while not all bad, are not the whole answer to all the problems. 
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-15-2009 00:24 Edited 01-15-2009 00:34
warmka weld,
Everybody should stop moaning and groaning and thinking about themselves.
Start thinking of the future, start thinking about what kind of earth we are leaving to our children.
I am definitely no tree-hugger - oil and gas is my career but the amount of money being spent on research into alternative energy is ridiculously low. Australia has the most sunshine of any country in the world and instead of spending money on solar power research they just continue to build coal fired power stations because there is so much of it in the ground.
My current boss (and hopefully me) is due to start a new project which is the worlds largest wind farm. It will be built by Fluor at a cost of US$1.8 billion and will be installed 20 km off the English coastline. This will provide enough power to replace at least 2 coal fired power stations - how much pollution from a wind farm - zero.
George Bush 1 and 2 were seen (rightly or wrongly) by the rest of the world as puppets of the big oil companies.
If anyone is going to stand up to the major polluters of the world and tell them to tidy their act up in the interest of the environment they should be congratulated and not ridiculed.
Sorry for the rant,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-15-2009 01:28
I would like to see Obama start something like the Tennessee Valley Authority of FDR.  But to fund and build solar and possibly nuclear plants from Texas to North Dakota.  That would bring a shi* load of jobs to the midwest and help alleviate us from oil and polution.
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-15-2009 01:33
Not to burst your bubble. But have you ever looked into solar enegry past the the green left's propaganda? Solar panel production produces some serious toxic by-products to start off with. I mean stuff ready for the Yucca Mountain Site. Plus the amount of energy created is peanuts compared to current demand. Windmills are a joke also for primary power. Good for a remote farmer who wants to be sufficient but to power metro areas these two power sources fail miserably. The best and cleanest will always be hyrdo or geothermal but they are not always practical and areas that would support there excistence are few and far between. Unless you are China then you can flood hudreds of square miles without regard for the civilians that live on it  but that won't fly over here to well. So we are back to coal and nuclear. Nuclear is what it is. Clean until it comes time for fuel rod replacement and cask clean up day. But very clean none the less. Now back to coal. First thing to remember it is ours and always will be ours. Second 300 to 500 year supply free for the taking. Now this all equals jobs, low cost, and plenty of supply. Now the bad side dirty yes. You do get  Sulfer, Co2, Mercury, No2 and all that pesky dust. But there are technologies out there. You just have to get the utilities to install them. This were govt rules come into play. The utilities are cheap and do not care about your great grand childrens air quality. They want you to turn the AC down and crank the heat up depending on season and keep those aplliances on day round. They want there turbine to be maxed out to get peak megawatts out of her. All the while the money is just ruling in to them. O.K this is getting long winded but you get the point.

Now back to the current problem the global warming. Well why was it global cooling 40 years ago? Then they will say the North pole is melting but yet they never tell youthe south pole is gaining ice. I have not read about any great sea level increases. Now I they cry about Co2 levels in our atmosphere. Well the technology is there to solve this in a couple years. We just have to find bankers. Co2 sequestriation is a good thing. The idea is simple make huge vessels I.E a scrubber to scrub the Co2 out of the atmosphere. The other option is to help out the oil and gas drilling industry by pumping the unwanted Co2 into wells that would yeild more product if they were fractured. So you really do kill two birds with one stone. Either way I am just a simple Boilermaker who really doesn't buy into all of the pollution debates. As George Carlin said so elegantly the planet is fine, the people are F*UCKED. Earth could swallow us all and spit us and all pollution out with a couple good volcanoes, earthquakes and good ice age for sure.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 01-15-2009 02:20
How many ice ages have we had already? Anybody? I don't think cars were here for any of them. Don't get me wrong, I all for keeping our country clean and improving habitat. But if we are the only ones doing it, forcing businesses overseas, due to environmental regulations, no thanks.
Imagine how many companies in the US could clean up their emissions outputs with the money that was spent, well given away to banks and such. If Obama wants a stimulus plan, he could start there, and would make everybody happy.
300-500 billion dollars worth of emissions improvements would do the trick, don't you think?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-15-2009 03:34
   "Well why was it global cooling 40 years ago?"

This is pretty simple. Global cooling was caused by particulate air polution, smoke. Starting in the late '60s there were efforts made to reduce particulate polution, while there was no concern for "green house gasses". North America and Europe made great reductions in particulate polution, and the smoke no longer caused cooling, but the continuing release of "green house gasses" began causing the earth to warm.

Mankind has been putting smoke into the air since We learned how to keep a fire burning. 150 years [and more] ago cities in cold climates lived under a perpetual cloud of smoke.

One has to wonder just where the earth's temperature would be right now if mankind never existed.

Particulates and "green house gasses" tend to cancel each other out, but when You mess with one and not the other things get out of ballance.

COOL THE EARTH, MAKE MORE SMOKE
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-15-2009 04:01
Hello,
I have to believe that the earth is going to keep living and changing untill mother earth is ready to die. The earth is evolving with or without man. The smart ones told of massive climate change after all major volcanos, lets take a look back at the climate changes from eruptions. Dust bowls, floods and massive snows ect. I remember the St Hellens cloud of dust that changed the midwest weather patterns for years, let alone the unknown amounts of greenhouse gasses emmitted. I know that Albuq and Denver are choked with wood smoke and have lots of burning ban days.

I was just thinking out loud, but I doubt we can change the mid east or south americas polution levels. I know that we will pay for it the USA always does. The people in the amazon bason used mercury to collect Gold from all of the rivers while people who lived downstream kept drinking the water. Their governments gave away chain saws so the trees could be cleared. But we cant seem to build a modern refinery or a new power plant fear of offending a gopher or sparrow.

Gets hot, gets cold, rains and snows. People live and people die. Why only last week I had a flat tire.

Stock up and keep reloading
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-15-2009 04:20
    The ice ages supposedly came about due to the shading from dust released by volcanic eruptions, and a few really big ones would probably cause enough change that We would try to induce a greater greenhouse effect.

Earth WILL keep changing, even if We don't influence it. My opinion is that We need to know weather the warming is caused largely by Mankind, or Mother Nature. If the earth is going to continue to increase in temperature in spite of eliminating Mankinds increases of "greenhouse gasses", and the sea level is going to rise, WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO WITH COSTAL CITIES.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-15-2009 12:39
Mr Boyer,
I do agree that me should get a grip on poluting ond mother earth. My biggest concern is who do we base our info on? About 90% of the scientists dont even think there is anything more than normal swings in the climate and the other under 10% think we are doomed. I always felt that if you build anything on the edge you will loose everything. Houses , cities and lifes. I do believe that using federal funds to rebuild disaster laden property could be better spent relocating man and beast inland. The devastation of coastal areas is way too expensive just to have good view. I think that if you want to live in a mudslide area or on the ocean front your insurance should be all that covers you. After all its been wiped off the map many times before. so why rebuild? Lets clean up the debris and put down riprap or some type of esosion control that works better than it looks and let her buck!

I think that the escalated hype of climate disaster is more of a invented disaster. Made up of part real concerned knowlagable scientists that may or may not have a valid point , people who want to help and most likely the majority of them are people with great dollar signs in their eyes. Disaster makes millions for the people in the right places. After all gasahol plants dont produce enough power to pump their own water to make the product. But the federal money keeps flowing.

Maybe we can sort out the money grabbers and licenced thieves and get down to the tasks at hand.

I might be as wrong as I am right. Hopefully time will be kind to all of us.
Dave
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-16-2009 03:20
   I agree with You on all points. William Rusher, in one of His articles said that there are 2,500 scientists who think mankind is responsible for global warming, but 19,000 who think mankind's contribution to global warming is the lesser cause.

Having said all this, there was a guy who claims through measuring pan evaporation rates, that atmospheric shading [the cause of global cooling] was measurably reduced following 9/11 due to the absense of jet vapor trails.

I think We may be better at measuring things than at interpreting what these measurements really mean.

My sail boat draws 6'4". If seal evel goes up 3' navigation will get easier, and it will still fit under the 65' ICW bridges. :-)
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-19-2009 21:08
Amen brotha!!!  That's what I tell everyone when I'm dumping all my used motor oil into our bon fires.  I tell them that I'm trying to stop global warming, I need to make it smokey so the water particals cling to the smoke particals and freeze while making clouds to cool the erff.  I can't get anyone on my band wagon though.  I told them to take a meteorology class and they'd see. lol
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-15-2009 04:19
Shane,
Good luck with the work off the coast, looks like the winds never stop there so it is as good of placeas any to harness the wind. How muck polution does putting all of those towers and drilling make? The technology exsists for clean burning coal plants but it might cost 2 billion a piece. Nules hold the key to most energy woes along with maybe wind (if it keeps blowing with all of those windmills in the way)generators.Then the power grid distribution question arrises, how many power lines need to be built to use the wind generators? In the dakotas that seems to be some concern and holding up some plans for wind farms.

I dont know much about oil company ownership except Al Gores mommy owns Oxidental Oil. So him being such a great greeny seams sort of funny. Read a script get over a million $$ Lets hope that some of the teachings of the schools and the one sided media can be put aside for reality whatever that is. Some states are rethinking  corperate corn stills for fear uf too much water use.

Sorry me rant also
Dave
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 19:14
Lets make something abundantly clear here. There is no definitive data that says the earth is warming. This whole concept is absolute garbage. What we have is biologists, and geologists, and botonists, and hydrologists, and worst of all, politicians and etc, etc, etc, (all who want more money by the way) studying limited areas where some micro climate change is taking place (oh and don't foget big Al Bore and his drowning polar bears) that can justify their fear mongering to get research grants, or get elected, and then extrapolating that to a global perspective. Notice I did not say climatoligists. The actual guys who study this. The climatilogical field is in total disagreement as to whether warming is taking place, the majority coming down on the side of skepticism. Even with big bucks on the line few of them want to be known to posterity as the bozo that bought into this crapola.
In fact, its even worse. Far worse. We can't even decide if we are capable of measuring such a thing. We can't even decide just what the hell global warming would actually look like in our instruments. We have no functional definition. How much sampling do we need? Do we weight sampling? If so, how? Do we factor in micro changes? How? Do we factor in seasonal variations? How? Do we need more stations? Where do we put them? Random spacing? Equidistant? Clustered in strategic areas? In the oceans? Atmospheric only or underwater too. How bout higher altitudes? Clearly the current placement of the stations has not been made with an accurate global perspective in mind. Its more like ad hoc run amuck. Can the inherent error in these measurements actually give us something as precise as a global few degrees which the weather channel loves to harp on? Again mongering fear to get you to tune in? And once this crap data is collected and collated who's models do we use to evaluate and interpret? God I hope it ain't Big Al Bores.
Case in point. It is no coincidence that our "global" data increased somewhat when a crap load of stations went down during the Soviet Union collapse because there was nobody there to maintain them. One of the coldest regions on the planet. Well duh?
Don't believe me?
Ever run ferrite measurements using E562 or a variation thereof? And what happened when you changed the sampling?
Now you're getting it.
Oh, it gets better. Now what do we compare this exceedingly sloppy data to (by scientific standards), to say that we have some particular profound long term change? Well, even sloppier, and less accurate globally, ice cores, or mud cores, or tree rings, or trout stream acidity, or poop samples, or whatever, because we didn't even have temp stations way back when. Magine that.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-16-2009 00:29
Ya got all that . Wasnt sure where that all came from, Never believed in global warming . Even the Man who developed the weather channel knows its money driven BS. His study of uvrays, temp swings and green house gas clearly shows nothing . No one can even define the supposed hole in the ozone. It keeps changing, imagine that.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 01-16-2009 00:43
My weather man said this morning to "be sure and check under your car hood for cats in this cold weather they like the warm engines" like I am going to check it in 0 degree weather and wind right.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-16-2009 05:31
Sharp tungsten,
I realise there are quite a few posters on this forum who have the oil industry to thank for their weekly wages so I know I will never win an arguement on alternative energies.
However, I disagree with 2 of your statements so will post a couple of facts for consideration.
Tuvalu is a country in the South Pacific between Australia and Hawaii that consists of nine atolls and a population of 12,700 people.
The highest point on the island is 15 feet above sea level and the University of Hawaii has installed various  measuring equipment on the island to measure the rise in sea level. It is felt that if the sea level keeps rising at the present rate the islands will be uninhabitable in 50 years and completely submerged by the end of this century.
The President of Tuvalu has appealed to the governments of Australia and New Zealand to assist in the relocation  of the population.
The Marshall Islands (also in the South Pacific) has lost 20% of its beachfront in the last decade.

On the subject of windmills / windfarms you might want to do a bit of research as the USA is currently one of the top 3 producers of energy for commercial use from wind.
The USA currently is producing 21,000 MW of electricity from wind which is 1.5% of the total electricity produced (powering the equivalent of 5.7 million homes). That is a lot of farmers !!!
One turbine can produce approx  1.8 MW of electricity (approx 600 homes).
Germany has 22,000 MW of wind power but has only a fraction of the wind potential of North Dakota alone.
Europe has their wind farms at sea because they do not have enough spare land, the USA does not have this problem, there are plenty of wide open spaces.
I am not sure of the average size of coal fired power stations in the USA but in Australia they are 400-500 MW.
If you combine the US and Germanys output from wind ( 43,000 MW ) you have the equivalent of approx 86 coal fired power stations that are not polluting the air.
On the subject of improving the economy, farmers can rent their unusable land for the wind farms, welders can weld the structures, the turbines need to be built, and then for the installation you will need crane operators, riggers and a variety of construction personnel.

As I mentioned earlier I am no tree hugger, I am a father of 2 young girls who is very worried about the quality of life they and their children will have if we do not do something about our pollution.
I lived in an industrial town in Queensland, Australia called Gladstone. It had 2 Alumina Refineries, an Aluminium Smelter, Cyanide plant, Ammonia plant, Cement plant, Shale Oil plant and a coal fired Power Station.
They all produced their major emissions at night when it was not as visible, I don't remember seeing the stars in the sky once in the 2 years I lived there.
Surely making some of these major polluters use some of their massive profits to tidy up their acts is commendable.
Sorry for the rant (again)
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 14:03 Edited 01-16-2009 14:16
Shane,
Wouldn't you think that if Tuvalu and the Marshall Islands are experiencing sea level increases that the beaches in Miami or Galveston should see it too? In fact, everywhere in the world? Especially with a 50 year time frame. I wouldn't want to be the one making the argument that the Marshalls and Tuvalu are the criteria for a global phenomena, in which case its no more definitive than poop samples.
This is exactly the type of thing I mentioned. Some micro data that is unjustifiably extrapolated into a grand all encompassing global theory. But I'll bet folks is motivated to pour lots of money into verification aren't they?  :>)
Also, how do you seperate human impact from our natural emergence from the last ice age, of which many scientists believe?
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-16-2009 18:40
Actually I have talked to boomers out of international that manufacture and install windmills. But I am no expert. These men are seasoned boilermakers who have seen both sides of the spectrum. Coal and wind power. They were the ones saying the wind turbines left alot to be desired. The average size of a plant over hear varies greatly depending on age. But most in my area which is big stack country are 800 to 2900 megawatts. Now this is western PA alone and there are about 16 plants that fall in this category alone. We do not have the amount of wind to turn in excess of 12,000 windmills at 1.8 megawatts. These windmills are not a one time deal. they need overhauled annually plus nothing gaurantees they turn to proper load or even at all depending on the wind. 1.8 megawatts is at perfect conditions not gauranteed. Lets not forget how much area it takes to house 12,000 windmills plus the nightmare of getting them lined up on the grid for distribution. If you really want to go green and have the electricians smiling someone would develop a system to harness and store lightning strikes. I read an article saying one major lightning storm has enough energy for an entire state like California. But it is hard to handle millions of volts I guess. I have to agree with JS55 why is it only your island sees the increase in sea level?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-16-2009 19:37
In Arizona, Palo Verde puts out about 3800 megawatts, Hoover dam about 2000MW and the coal fired powerhouses are in the 900 - 1600 area.

I don't know what the smaller dams are putting out, or the multitude of gas fired peaking plants, or the real small older coal burners.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-17-2009 01:35
Never worked Palo Verde but heard about it. Americas biggest nuke, what is it like 1250 per unit which it has three correct? I am still amazed at the Itaipu Dam in south america. It is like 14000 megawatts at one location. But China's huge hydro plants will be unrivaled when they are complete. Another interesting fact is that China is known for being such a toxic place is currently leading in hydro electric supply. Probably has to due with shortage of coal or something. I was talking with a Ljungstrom air heater inspecter and he heard about a plant that Duke energy was putting in India. He said it was supposed to be a coalfired plant with 24,400 megawatt capacity. He said they had the site and were breaking ground but I have heard anything else about it. it was a couple years ago when I heard this. Now that is either a county size area of small units or could it be massive units? I don't know but I am interested in powerplants both on the clock and off.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-17-2009 02:10 Edited 01-17-2009 02:16
San Onofre in California is/was a twin sister plant to Palo Verde, I think San Onofre is shut down. I "heard" several years ago that their turbines were the largest in the free world, that the USSR had a bigger one. That's old info by now tho.
I've never worked at Palo Verde, those days the outages were at 80% of real scale, that didn't interest me. I have done quite a bit of work in two of the coal fired plants in AZ (Cholla and Chochise), and two of the hydros, I welded for 6 months in Hoover Dam during the Arizona Unit upgrades on A-3 and A-4.

JTMcC.

I left out the SanTan powerhouse, I did quite a bit of welding for PKS on their part of the powerhouse expansion around '03 or so.
Just as a somewhat interesting aside, TIC had about 15 or 20 hands tig welding 2" stainless on another part of the project. One guy fabbed for at least 3 weeks, when an inspector happened to look inside a 90 he had just capped and noticed there was 100% IP, no bead whatsoever. Every weld this guy made had no attempt at a bead just jammed up tight and filled & capped! They were piling up a huge batch of work before RTing any of it. So they ran him off and junked all his work. What a bunch they are.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-17-2009 05:01
     Sharp Tungsten: I have seen those windmills in western Pa., but I have seldom seen them turn. Someone built a windmill near Reading, Pa. I NEVER saw it turn, and ironicly We could see it from a lake We sailed on.

There are, however, some places where the wind does blow reliably, and in those places the windmills make sense.

Our local nuke plant, Limerick Excelon, can produce 2,295 MW from 2 units, and We pay dearly for the power, about $.16/KWH including all added on costs.

For what it is worth, a 15' rise in sea level will cover all the land in the Florida Keys, including Key West. Only the buildings & bridges would be above water.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-16-2009 13:06
For 20 some odd years I served in the Navy.  One of my many, many jobs was to perform atmospheric testing.  I find it very difficult to believe we have an increasing volume of CO2.  CO2 is quite a bit heavier than O2.  Therefore, when there is a spike in the volume of CO2, then one would notice a measurable decrease in the volume of O2 at sea level.  No such data exists.  Technology exists to sample atmospheric gases with a degree of accuracy of 4 decimal places in percentile, but you'll never see anyone come on and say that CO2 has increased in the atmosphere by .XX%, or that O2 has decreased by .XX%.  It's all a bunch of garbage, in my estimation.  I don't necessarily think it's some grand plot, but a lot of people are getting filthy rich off this, while others are starving because of it.  Enough, already.  History proves that mother earth knows how to take care of herself. 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 15:16
It really is all about money isn't it?
Oh my god the trout are swimming in acidic streams. Give me money to verify.
Oh my god ice cores 30 feet down on Greenland say things was different awhile back and this could spell doom for us. Give me money before its too late.
The polar bears are drowning give us money. There actually IS a commercial on TV that says this very thing. With some hollywood shmuck showing us his concerned face.
Tuvalu. Give us money.
Al Bore. Give me money.
The Weather Channel. Give us money.
No. Its not a plot. But it is disorganized and irresponsible greed.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-16-2009 15:52
You have to think about it in their terms.  The all have masters or PhDs.  That cost money.  They were never interested in any "real" job that they could support their families with, ie welder, nurse, fry cook.  They were math and science freaks.  Open the Want Ads.  Your not gonna find too many jobs for mathmetician or scientist.  They have to justify their job every chance they get.  Just like the pricks at NASA.  I know that they do some top secret sh** from time to time but some of the crap that they tell us they are doing is a waste of money.  But some scientist made up some crap to tell their boss to get funding for the new satelite that will cost billions and ensure that prick as a job for another 10 years.

As for global warming.  I know that we don't get as much snow in Kansas City that we used to, but it still can get freakin' cold.  We are comparing temperatures made over 100 years ago with some crappy mercury filled thermometer with the new certified-calibrated-atomic-powered therms that get a tolerance of .000001 degrees Celsius.  But who knows maybe we are heading out of an ice age.  I fu**ing hope so, its 6 degrees this morning.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 15:57
It's really depends on when you try to compare the temp data from 1880....it is always changing. I tried to compare it in 2005 and then several times afterwards and NASA keeps changing the data that was recorded back in 1880 on up to present day. Yes I have proof, and have posted links on here in the past to that data on NASA's site so folks can see for themselves.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 16:31
Just like Big Al Bore flyin around in his big ol jet to preach the evils of our SUV's.
And we all thought Ariana Huffington was a hypocrit.
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 01-16-2009 16:56
Not to count all the thousands of police officers going from all over America 48 from Louisville and 29 from Lexington KY alone flying and driving to dc. If you want to check the traffic in DC go here http://app.ddot.dc.gov/services_dsf/traffic_cameras/map_15.asp and click on one of the green dots.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-18-2009 11:45
Guys,
I probably should stick to the welding section as every time I come to the "Off topic bar and grill" I seem to get shot down in flames.
Obama has made a pledge to spend billions on researching alternative energies and yet all the responses on this forum are negative.
Personally, I have got a lot more respect for a man who is going to think outside of the square and look for alternatives than one who takes a nation to war to lock up that countries oil (sorry, WMDs).
I am from the other side of the world so I wouldn't know the difference between a Republican and a Democrat but the USA is a world leader and what you guys do affects the rest of the world.
The USA is the worlds greatest polluter per capita ( I know China as a nation is worse but not per capita).
The USA is the only industrialised nation in the world that has refused to ratify the Kyoto Treaty.
That is basically giving the rest of the world the middle finger and saying we will burn as much oil as we want, when we want.
All the rest of the world can do is hope that the new administration has a better grasp of reality than the last administration. The USA is a world leader and if they say you can get stuffed on cutting pollution, how is it possible for the rest of the world to fall into line.
Rant over (for the 3rd time)
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-19-2009 14:37
Shane,
There were over 150 countries that refused to sign Kyoto including India, China, Brazil, (what I would call industrialized)and many other reasonably modern countries. Also, Kyoto was set up so that the trigger criteria would be very friendly to most of the European industrialized nations(actually quite brilliant on their part and stupid on ours-you gotta give em credit for that), not so for the US. In fact, it was so bad for the US that our Senate voted unanimously against it.
Even Clinton, with Big Al Bore in his ear, refused to put his John Hancock on it for 2 years, and only signed it towards the end of his time in office(which is why its so funny that Bush gets hammered for not signing it-he can't-the office of President already has-its illegal). We can talk about world leadership all we want but when dems and republicans alike see the threat to American security, even if it is in the name of some obscure noble concept I can only hail them as having done the right thing.
Kyoto was a a piece of garbage drafted with the intent of bringing down the world leader (the US as you admit), and removing the ladder for the less developed countries (China expicitly accusing the "industiralized nations" of developing and growing wealthy through these polluting technologoies and now trying to tell the rest of the underdeveloped world they can't-which of course lends itself to creating the need for pouring more money into them) and leaving those in the middle, those industrialized nations you speak of, in a position of greater power. The American Senate realized it. Thats a grasp of reality!

Also, Obama is not thinking outside the square. He is revisiting the same old tired environmental ideas that have been tossed around and rejected for decades, even by Clinton the hero of the left. He's just put lipstick on it. No matter how much money you throw at some of these technologies they are at worst losers and at best very inefficient or limited in applicability. But they have powerful lobbies in liberal circles with lots of money for campaigns.
As for going to war you might take note of how Obama's policy towards pulling out in Iraq evolved to become more and more like Bush's as he learned more and more about it. He started out talking about absolute, unconditional, and immediate withdrawal, and ended up talking about staged withdrawal with military leadership input. Exactly what Bush had been saying all along.

And let me say one more thing about the logic of the middle finger comment. A leader is exactly that. A leader. You seem to be arguing that a preferrable definition of a leader is his willingness to follow those who are following the leader. So the logic is lost on me. Not to mention that sometimes being the leader means people don't like you.
Also, the facts of it, that we are building geothermals, we are building solar plants (been working on many of these myself for decades), we are developing clean coal, and nukes are fixin to take off again. But if our congress refuses to allow it at such a pace that it is a threat to our security, if they refuse to allow countries who couldn't care less whether or not we even continue to exist, to control and dictate our internal economy, I say more power to them.

PS: Rant all you please. People feel strongly about their political views. It doesn't mean that things have to become personal. Nobody is shooting you down, just disagreeing.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-20-2009 22:39 Edited 01-20-2009 22:41
js55,
President Clinton signed the Kyoto Treaty. President Bush refused to ratify the Kyoto Treaty.
The signing is totally symbolic, without ratification it is non-binding, in other words useless. The USA is the only industrialized nation that has refused to ratify the Treaty (185 other nations already have).
President Bush gave one of his reasons for not ratifying as the supposed damage to the economy.
Australia (thanks to Bushes little mate John Howard) refused to ratify it as well for the same reasons. However, the incoming Labour Prime Minister (Kevin Rudd) bowed to public pressure and ratified Kyoto in Nov 2007 even though Australia has some of the largest reserves of coal and shale oil in the world. Tens of thousands of jobs in these industries are threatened but public pressure over the environment won out over the possible loss of jobs.
As to leadership, whether the US likes it or not, it is seen as a world leader - at the moment it is in 186th position on climate change.
The middle finger observation may not have been the best choice of words but how else would you describe this scenario.
The US is the largest polluter in the world per capita.
185 other nations consider the environment and changes to it to be a serious concern.
A leader leads by example, the US is sadly lacking in leadership on this issue.
And finally, whether it is due to global warming or just the earths natural evolution - one fact is undeniable - the ocean levels are rising. You don't need any scientific data to show that you have lost 20 ft of seafront on your island.
Another poster said how crazy it was to try and have 21,000 wind turbines. I was never trying to advocate the total reliance on one form of energy. Merely trying to state that for every wind farm built it is one less coal fired power station belching crap into the atmosphere.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 01-21-2009 00:17
Shane,
FYI it is the responsibility of the US Congress to ratify treaties.  The president then has to sign off on them. 
Mankenberg
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 01-21-2009 03:09
Bush did not sign the agreement because it exempted China who is the largest produces of pollution in the world and was an attempt to hamstring US production. If you want to talk about pollution go to a any third world country, India, or Bangladeshi where every vehicle is a 2 cycle engine spewing smoke, open sewers running done the street to the nearest waterway. Windmills will never take over a power plant. No way to store the energy and the wind does not blow all the time. I just drove across I 40 to Las Vegas and saw hundreds of the windmills in Texas and New Mexico and 90% of them were even not turning. Came back through Colorado and they were the same there.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-21-2009 14:37
Shane,
To say that "other" nations consider the environment and change to be a serious concern is just plain old America bashing. Now I know you aren't America bashing but you certainly implied we aren't concerned. We consider the environment to be a huge concern as well. We are leaders in nuclear(fixin to take off again here despite all the best efforts of our environmental lobby), clean coal(despite all the best efforts of our environmental lobby) , wind technology, geothermal technology, solar power, and agriculturally based fuels, not to mention biomass. Its just that many of us ain't buyin into Kyoto as the solution. The evironmentalists prize pig. The public of the "public pressure' of which you speak hasn't a clue as to what is actually contained in Kyoto. And when our Senate, made up of some the most liberal and environmentally political senators in the country reject it, someone needs to ask why. And many Americans did. And found out.
As for sea levels rising. It most certainy is deniable. In fact its more than that. On a global asessment its irresponsible. The data is all over the place.
As for Bush, Treaty's in the US are ratified by congress NOT the president. And congress, even the democratic majority congress refused to do so. Folks want bipartisanship in our government. Well, Kyoto gave it to us.
And yes, a leader leads by example. And sometimes that example must go against popular opinion. The very reason our founding fathers established our nation as a REPUBLIC. If this wasn't necessary then we should just have popular votes on everything and let mob rule, led around by the nose by mass media, decide or future.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-10-2009 05:15
"I seem to get shot down in flames"
I hope that isn't the case Shane, them fires are pretty nasty down under!
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-10-2009 19:19
Closing in on 200 dead and they are still finding more. There are a lot of places still inaccessible. Could end up being a lot worse.
Parent - By millerman (**) Date 02-11-2009 02:26
have ya all solved the problem of power at  night yet  < batt are more env. distructive > and fossil fuels make up most of everything we touch incloding your key board
just my opion
mac
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-16-2009 19:16
I don't know about you guys, but I live in Florida and have been scraping the ice off my car windshield this week.  So much for global warming down here.

Actually, I am really fed up with the flap on this problem.  I have lost over $30k on liquid coal investments due to alarm over global warming, since they burn carbon to "refine" the coal into gas and diesel. Oh well.  Maybe if I wait 20 years until people are desperate for fuel I will get my money back and at least break even.  The one stock I am talking about traded at $40 a year or two ago.  Today it is at $5.13 - all because of GW alarmism!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 20:09
OBEWAN,
Don't you know? :) Speaking rhetorically.
Cold means global warming too. Didn't Hollywood step into the fray on this and keep us dimwits duly informed with a Dennis Quaid movie about a big freeze due to global warming? Ol Dennis the lone scientist nobody would listen to. If it wasn't for Hollywood where would we get our robust science?
If it gets hot and dry its gobal warming. If it gets hot and wet its global warming. If it gets really cold its global warming.
Those in California are certainly aware of the flap over Shasta's glaciers increasing due to global warming.
Sometimes ya just gotta sit back and laugh your azz off.
Only don't laugh too long because their coming for your wallet.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-17-2009 06:14
The largest Nuke driven turbines in this country are 1350 MW. Russia won the technology race by building the largest nuke turbines, 1500MW. In fact, they had 4 of them side by side on one location. That Power Station...CHERNOBYL.
Bigger is not always better.
It is impossible to repeat a Chernobyl accident in this country due to design differences such as graphite moderated core, cinder-block containment walls etc.
Chernobyl and 3Mile Island and one I worked on in the '80s were all attributed to operator error.
The "seismic restaint modifications" we installed were probably more for the thermal shock associated with Scramming the reactor (operator could not find/wake up the shift supervisor and did some heroic manual overides) by flooding it with 3 million gallons per minute through the TORUS.
Fortunately, the public doesn't usually hear about the "near misses".
Chemical industry has a far worse safety record. Bhopal, India killed more people, than all the Nuke accidents combined.
Except for maybe Kyshtem. Capt. Francis Gary Powers was shot down while attempting to photograph the carnage in the Urals. Due to the iron clad secrecy of the Kremlin during that time, we will never know how bad it really was. According to some reports though, some 30 towns were removed from the Communist Registry after that "incident". It was a 20th century Sodom and Gommorrah that exceeded Biblical proportions.
I would rather live next door to a nuke here in the USA than a refinery...but this is fossil fuel central out here.
More Nukes, More Nukes...Great clean work!
Parent - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-17-2009 22:01
I don't get to work alot of nukes only got one over here thats close. Superflux I have read about the disasters in the Urals here is a great article on it off of a great site. http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=973#more-973
CHERNOBY was nothing compared to this. And yes Bhopal, India was a horrible disaster thanks to good old Union Carbide. I still like big plants lots of work when something needs fix. Big ducts, big boilers, big headers, and big money!!!!!
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 01-17-2009 22:23
I dont have any experiances with nuke plants but I have worked on a couple of refinerys. Sinclair Wyo had some problems in 1978 or so with the road out front, when we did some borings the 2 foot deep holes would fill up to within 4 inches with what sure looked and smelled like solvent. Fast foreward 30 years and a refinery south of Saint Paul  has some major groundwater issues. The bucket on the backhoe changes color when it was coming up loaded with eye burning soil. Cant imagine that will go away any time soon. Just  "Fill it in and forget what you didnt see".

Give me a Nuke plant next door anytime also. Is it true that Three mile Island only leaked about the same radiation as a dozen x-rays? Read that a few places but cant find a link, its been a while. What a shame what not building proper containment can do with all spills and leaks, not to minimumize the scorching of Russia's people.

Dave
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 02-11-2009 06:15
Well he is about to add more to global warming in the way of a 4 burn that we all feel the heat from for a long long time....

http://news.yahoo.com/edcartoons/jerryholbert;_ylt=AuNEX08POVYRuOdDStFkWBPb.sgF

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/umedia/20090210/cp.1fab8fdcbae70f6628142090894dfb47.gif
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Climate Czar?? A change is coming!