Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ceramic backing strip?
- - By JMCInc (**) Date 01-23-2009 01:36
Anyone have experience with these adhesive strips? ESAB is the brand. I intend to use them in a structural steel application.
Thanks,
Jon
Parent - By tigrooter (**) Date 01-23-2009 02:30
I have welded with them in shipyards. As long as you don't get ahead of your puddle and hit the strip with your wire you should be ok. I guess you will be using a wire process on it? If you push through it will push the tape off.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-23-2009 04:04
Hello Jon, are these the segmented ceramic backing materials? The ones that I have used in the past were available with different groove configurations depending upon the particular profile that you were trying to achieve for the root. They were actually hard pieces of ceramic about 3/16" thick and around an 1" wide and an 1" or so long and touching one another end for end in a row about 12" in total length per section. They used a silver adhesive backing tape to hold them together. After the welding was completed you could elect to chip the residuals off or if there was an access issue to the back side they would just be left in place. The work that I was involved in where these were used turned out very well as they contained the weld metal very well and shaped the root bead as required. Just a bit more to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 01-23-2009 04:50
The process will be SMAW. Yes, they are segmented pieces as you described, Alan. Glad to hear they work. Will be connecting two sections of 24X94# beams for the ridge of a house we are building. The connection has to be made after the first piece is placed, 40' in the air. Total length from tip to tail of about 65' with the connection being made 40' from the end of the beam. Only the web is to be welded then bracing plates placed over the welds on each side for added strength. I think the strips will save me some grinding and other aerial acrobatics. Engineer is great to work with and open to suggestions and modifications to ease construction. Glad to have work, and it is challenging.

Jon
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-23-2009 06:49
Be well and be safe, Jon. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ceramic backing strip?