Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / structural steel to galvanized steel stud
- - By Steve Smith Date 01-22-2009 22:39
load bearing properties of galvanized steel stud to structural steel? I have recently been asked to weld an 8x10x3/4" structural steel angle to the bottom of vertically standing 6x2x20 ga. galvanized steel stud on 18" centers to support a 8x8x16" cinder block wall, 12'x45' long, spanning over the top of public access. When I questioned the structural integrity of this design, I was released from that employment. Is there any way this design would fly, or not? P.S.    LH-7018 to non-prepped galvanized steel.     Thanks for any replies.  Iron-Dog in AZ.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 01-23-2009 01:28
Did the drawings have a P.E. stamp?
Parent - - By Steve Smith Date 01-25-2009 18:52
I don't believe the stamp that was present was the stamp of a structural engineer, when I came to this conclusion, I decided not to do the weld.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-26-2009 14:46
What does the qualified WPS say?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 02-16-2009 20:58
As a structural engineer, I, too question the integrity of that design.  Using 20 ga. tin can studs to support a 12 ft. high masonry wall?  We probably don't know, but will the wall be grouted solid?  My gut says that's way too much to hang off these studs.  I think you did the right thing. 

Code-wise?  Well, AISC requires a minum fillet weld size of 1/4" for the 3/4" thick angle.  What will that do to a 20 ga. stud?  Did they have a WPS?  This is definitely a structural weld.

Bob Garner
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 02-17-2009 14:28
Bob,

FYI........ Table J2.4 Minimum Size Fillet Welds in the new AISC manual is a little different than that of previous manuals.  In previous editions, the column on the left "Material Thickness of Thicker Part Joined" has been changed to "Material Thickness of Thinner Part Joined". 
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 02-17-2009 22:37
Thank you Scott,

I learn something everyday.

Bob G.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / structural steel to galvanized steel stud