Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / testing guidelines
- - By randycrawford (*) Date 01-28-2009 16:35
Gentlemen can someone please tell me where and if it is stated in d1.1, or can provide me with the information on testing procedures concerning time restraints etc.. What I have got is the company is allowing people to take a 3G 1" plate test with flux core and allow them to keep taking the coupon apart and start over until they can acheive 100% penitration with no time restraints. Can you please guide me to the right info. or procedure to provide my company with, as the inspector here this is stupid to me.Thank you.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-28-2009 19:52
I think you are referring to 4.32, 2008 D1.1
there is no Time restraint unless 6 months pass without using a welding process, but additional training or practice is required after the failed test, or 2 welded tests that meet the acceptable standard.
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 01-28-2009 19:59
There are no time restraints in the code regarding this.
Parent - By Richard Cook (**) Date 01-28-2009 20:29
There is no specified time limit for the actual testing process. This should be a consideration by the company employing the individual, if a welder cannot prep, fit and weld 6 inchs of weld in 3 hours or less they would be useless on the production floor. If they keep cutting and pulling apart the test to get it right you can imagine what his production work is going to look like.

A time limit should be applied for the given material and process so that the individual can be evaluated on his productivity, present that as your suggestion to this company. But if they choose to allow it then the bttom line is the bend test and final visual, as an inspector I've called the welder out in the fit up process if he did not maintain the joint configuration and tolerances as shown in the WPS given him to use.

But keep in mind it is not mandated.
Parent - - By DAYANARA (**) Date 02-13-2009 02:03
In D1.1, no state time restraint.
But I think the time is very important, because the welder performance shall be similar a you work welding.
Not is acceptable you see the production.

Dayanara
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-18-2009 13:51
It's a gray area.  Training time is unlimited while testing time is typically two chances, depending on the code. 

I show an individual what I want with pass and fail samples.  The root seems to be the "money" weld.  I give him a tacked specimen and tell him to weld.  If it fails I tell him how to cut, bevel, and tack the specimen.  I let him retry until the material is gone (usually four or five times).  If they're going to pass it's usually only two or more tries.  If they're not going to pass, they're done.  I let them retry in a month or so.

Most employers aren't going to fire a welder, even a poor one.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-18-2009 16:00
If they have to cut it apart, then they failed one try.  If they have to cut it apart again on the second try, then they're done till further training has been done and proof of that training can be shown.  This is stated in D1.1 sec 4 so you can show this to your employer and put an end to it.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-19-2009 11:14
Kix,

You're correct.  I agree 100%.  I still say that in my experience a lot of employers aren't going to let a potential welder go, even if he can't pass.  He's cheap.  I'm told to get him certified.  I lower the test to a 2F instead of a 3G, so they pass.  They're "certified."

I'm made out to be the bad guy.  Sometimes I think that they think that there's some red button, next to the yellow button, in the back of the welder, that I'm not telling them about.  Push it and anyone can weld!!!

Most of the welders at my employers shop couldn't complete, let alone have it look good, the weldments required at the annual Skills USA contest that I judge.  That's right, the high school students are better.  I bring a stack of résumé's back from the contest each year of the top five from each process.  We hire a few (it's pretty hard offering next to nothing).  Our "welders" run them off by giving them a hard time.

We were in business for over 20 years before we completed an honest to goodness PQR, with radiographs and tension tests.  A lot of places dance around codes. 

Keith
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-19-2009 12:20
Yeah, Skills USA is a really good place to get some welders real quick.  Most of the time, the good ones live to far away to bring them in to employ them, but out of all the judges and helpers, someone usually offers them a job.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / testing guidelines