Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / setting up 300d for tig.....
- - By bullsnbets (**) Date 01-28-2009 20:28
what do u typically set your machine on welding tig on carbon steel? trying my hand at it.... any info on setting up 300d for tig would be appreciated.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-28-2009 21:28
How thick of steel you will be welding on will determine the amount of amperage you will need.  You will need your tig torch with a gas valve on it (300 amp torch) to be DC negative and your ground will be positive.  You need a nice sharp tungsten.  Not sure what 300d you're talking about and if it has remote capabilities.  If it does then a remote would be nice, but you don't need it.  You'll need a gas block that your tig torch will screw into and your gas line into the other end.  This will let you hook a stinger to the block and make the tig torch hot.  If you don't have a remote then you will have to be old fashioned and flick start you arc with a piece of filler rod.  Then should should be off and welding.;-)
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 01-28-2009 23:02
Thanks Kix. I'm running a Lincoln 300d. Wired for remote, but after looking at the price for those remotes, I think I'll stick with "Old School". I've run this setup once before just trying it out, but it was on another fellas rig and was already set up. I couldn't remember..... ground to the gas block, stinger to the work material? I'm assuming cup size and tungsten size are determined by size of material also? I've been welding SMAW for many years, but after looking around on the internet, it looks like the demand for rig welders is moving more in the "Combo" direction. So in order to stay in the game, I'm looking to step it up a bit. Thanks for all your help.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-29-2009 13:39
No prob man.  Put you stinger into the negative terminal of your machine and you ground into the positive terminal.  Hook the stinger to the gas block and the ground to whatever your welding.  Then you're good to go.  Just remember that when you are TIG welding steel, stainless, or anyhting besides magnesium and aluminum that your torch needs to be negative or DC- or DC Straight polarity.  When you're stick welding, your stinger is + , DC+ or DC reverse polarity (those are all the same thing).  Some Stick electrodes with run on DC- as well as DC+ and all you do is swap your leads to change polarities.  Good luck man.
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 01-29-2009 15:56
Thanks again brother.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-29-2009 16:12
Here's what I am calling a gas block A.K.A power cable adapter.  there 10 bucks http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=379747&WT.svl=379747
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / setting up 300d for tig.....