Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lincolns power mig 300
- - By racerace (*) Date 04-17-2003 00:34
was wondering if anyone has run a tig torch off this machine and how it works i know the wire feed works excellent no expirence with a tig torch hooked up to it any info would be appreciated
Parent - By brande (***) Date 04-18-2003 05:20
The tig isn't bad, but don't expect the same quality as a dedicated Syncrowave, Maxstar, Dynasty, Invertec, Squarewave-although it is probably good enough.

That said, the tig section of the PM 300 will do a great deal of what you want. It might not be my first choice for code.025 titanium and other extreme applications, due to the lack of hi-freq, but will do most common fabrication and repair on .045+stainless, inconel, mild steel,-even some straight polarity aluminum, etc.

The PM 300 is a very good machine, and can do many things adequately. The pulse mig mode of this machine is it's claim to fame.It is an inverter based machine that runs well. It is not a Miller Shopmaster in any way, shape, or form.

I've spent a good deal of time with the PM 300 in the past year or so.
If I didn't have a large tapped transformer mig and another inverter mig, I would definitely consider buying a PM 300.

Hope this helps.

brande
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 04-18-2003 05:54
I have,and also have the python too.I just have a hand amptrol with it now.I think a simple button would be great,and use the upslope/downslope with it would be fine.I Just used dinse connectors for mine,because of the rest of my machines are that style.Real fast to hook up,and way better than changing from steel to aluminum setup.I used a female cable dinse on the ground lead(good luck finding one)and another dinse lug connector on the + lug.You could use any other style that you like.The gas line just needs a cheap adapater to make work.The output is 2 amps to 300 amps dc.The lift-arc works perfect every time,and the arc is pretty smooth.It does sound a little different then my Thermal-arc 300 prowave,but it seems very nice.The prowave is just super smooth,but I do not notice any ripple in the weld puddle with the powermig.Lets put it this way it will do as nice of job as the prowave while sounding a little different.I was using different torches also,and cups.I also have a 305g that has lift arc,and it's a little different too,but I have not really welded much with it,or the powermig.They are all great,and all a little bit different.I like them all. that's kind of all I can tell you until I get more time with them.I love my Powermig 300.You are right on the mig steel welding it's great.You need to try some mig aluminum also,This thing is the real deal in what it can do.Got to go now,and try my new python drive rolls,and wire setup.I am into making tig looking welds in thin aluminum.I also love beating them with a hammer,It's too cool.Also it is not a real inverter it's lincolns chopper tech,and is like a poor mans inverter.So the dc tig will never be as smooth as a real inverter,but good enough.
Parent - - By jimwelds (**) Date 04-20-2003 21:29
Scottv In your post are you refering to a mk python torch, is it running on one of mk feeders. How it perform is it worth the cost for mk products. I'm looking forward for your post. Jim
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 04-20-2003 22:29
The Powermig 300 hooks right up the the python torch.The MK feeder boxes will hook up to about any machine.I don't have one of those but they work about the same,Perfect feeding of aluminum.It is worth every cent.I do have another Mk products 2000a that is a great welding power supply also.I use it for steel,and the python/powermig 300 for aluminum.Pretty powerful single phase machines.They have been in the aluminum feeder/torch market along time.I think their stuff is getting better all the time.
Parent - - By Brett B (*) Date 04-21-2003 11:16
We are running a Powermig 300 in our shop with the teflon liner and
aluminum drive kit through the "standard gun" works excellent with the
.045 wire. In comparison to our shop full of MK Cobramatics these are
very spendy to repair and all of the consumables are on the high end of the scale. Treat them like they are gold and maybe you won't have many problems but put them in a production enviroment = $$$$$$$

At this time we are currently looking at changing out all of the Cobra's with the Powermig 300 / standard gun with teflon liner, with the the pulse and pulse on pulse options I feel you get a better looking weld with a lot less hassles and easy way to save some money.
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 04-21-2003 12:53
I have found that the powermig 300 on real thin aluminum,has the nicest looking weld beads using 4043 wire in .035.I really doubt you would have very good luck pushing that setup.The 3/64 5356 should be fine.I agree that you do not want to beat up your gun at all.Kind of treat it like you would a tig torch.The whole Idea for me is to get the best looking weld bead on thin metal.Lots of machines can do nice work on thicker type aluminum.Plus some times there is a reach issue that the standard gun would not work at all.If you don't have those problems then the standard gun deal seems like good way to go.
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 04-21-2003 17:44
Just needed to add something......impress your friends by welding on the edge of 10 gauge aluminum using .045 5356 in the vertical up...set the machine on constant power mode, (you will need to play with some parameters to make it work)....this is the best way to impress someone using a mig powersource and welding on thin material......
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 04-22-2003 00:32
Sparx,what was the settings,any starting place?

Brent B I told My friend at the welding store your setup,and he said he was thinking along those lines,because he would sell tons of them if that setup works.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 04-22-2003 17:43
I figured you guys would do it the way I did....lots of trial and error (and some cursing).....actually,the settings that I came up with are as follows: set machine to power mode (40)...set the WFS at 122....Power setting (volts/trim) at 1.0....the important setting is the Arc Control setting....set this at -10.0 .... I found that the arc start is a little erratic, but a split second later, you are laying down some nice beads...steady hands are required to weld up the edge of 1/8 plate,though....I think that this mode would work well for the small engine guys rebuilding aluminum motor props.....I have a customer in mind that will buy this setup as soon as he sees it, I'm sure.
Have fun guys....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lincolns power mig 300