Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help
- - By Squanto (*) Date 02-02-2009 17:26
I finally have my first weld inspection job and I noticed that the drawings were wrong.  I've called the engineer and he stated what he had was correct.  So I put hes name and the date on the drawings.  Is there anything else I can do? 

Also is there a place to see a sample weld inspection report.

Thank you,

Sean
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-03-2009 03:52
Sean, congrats on the first job.

What, specifically, was wrong with the drawings? I see incorrect weld symbols all the time, sometimes by the engineer but mostly by the detailer. In most cases the engineer has the authority to correct a mistake or leave it as is. You should document your concerns about the possible mistake and the conversation w/ the engineer and his/her response.
on the inspection report. Be very detailed, date, time, names, location, discrepancy, witnesses if any, weather, etc.

Just a friendly word of caution; make sure that you are right before you document a Professional Engineer on an Inspection Report.

What code do you need a report for? You can have a very basic form or a very specific form for certain codes D1.1 or B31.1.
I made my own for a specific job site I'm on now. I can tailor it to suit the next job or make a new one. Recently there were several I R's forms on a thread but most were sent via PM as some contained company names and forms not intended for general viewing.

Tomorrow, when/if I get a chance I will send or post the form that I made. It is job specific so it might not help much.

A shop inspection report for AISC/D1.1 will be very different than a field inspection report for B31.3.

Parent - By Squanto (*) Date 02-03-2009 20:38
The engineer is stating to install a flange on top of a tower.  To do that the weld symbol states to put on a backing bar and do a 3/16 bevel with a 5/16 weld.  Only Problem is how to install a backing bar on a 16 sided tower and how to remove is since its cyclic loaded and needs to be welded on both sides. 
I checked with 2 more engineers and they agreed with me.

Everything I will ever inspect untill I'm old will be on a tower or water tank to the D1.1 standards.
I think I might of created a form that will work.

Thank you
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help