Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Qualification Fillet Weld Test
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-21-2003 09:43
AWS D1.1 2002 states largest single pass and smallest multi-pass.
What if produduction requirements are only single pass?
Do you still need the multi-pass weld.
Are there any alternatives?

Any clarification is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian Maas
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 04-21-2003 11:50
Brian,
not quite shure what the question here is......what section are you refering to?......if production requirements are single pass then you would be limited to the maximum single pass weld size located on table 3.7 for prequalified WPS's
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-21-2003 13:45
Not quite sure if I'm understanding the question properly but from the way I'm reading it, I would say no problem; you can place a larger pass than indicated in D1.1, you would just have to go through the process of qualifying a WPS. If this is the case, I would speak with production management and suggest going to a muliple pass weld because this would (in my opinion) be less expensive than qualifying a new WPS.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-21-2003 14:23
Brian, it looks like your question stems from D1.1 - 4.11.2. I think the commentary to 4.11.1 gives your answer. Essentially, if you don't need it then you don't have to do it.
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-22-2003 05:15
Sorry guys for all the confusion. I guess I stated the question wrong.

Per D1.1, 4.11.2 and figure 4.19, if I want to qualify for single pass fillet welds only, lets say 1/4 inch, do I still need to go through the whole process of putting a multi pass weld on the test peice or is it neccessary?

Also:
I know if max material thickness used in construction is less than the required test peice material thickness then you can use it for the test.
Then will this thickness become the maximum material thickness qualified?

Thanks alot,

Brian Maas
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 04-22-2003 15:08
Are you asking about welder/operator quals or procedure quals? The tables you listed are for procedures. If you want welder/operator you need to keep reading- Part C table 4.9
If you are qualifying a procedure per 4.11.2, you still need to conform to 3.7.3.2 for size of single pass fillet welds, if your welds will exceed that size you will need to make a multi-pass fillet weld.

OK - I need to RTFT- you are concerned about WPS, I agree with CHG

Cheers,
Roger
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-22-2003 15:50
Yeah, I see it as being an option. Use max single pass "or" multi pass in your test. The commentary on 4.11.1 states it very plainly as CHG has said already.

CHG,thanks for reminding me of the Commentary section of the book. Lots of insite on what the code writer's thoughts were about a particular subject. I always forget to look back there in the back of the book.
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-22-2003 16:09
John, you're welcome. Trouble is..I don't always remember to look there either.
Chet Guilford
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-24-2003 06:46
Thank you. I forget to look back there to.

Brian Maas
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Qualification Fillet Weld Test