Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Wolf Ammo?
- - By Superflux (****) Date 02-08-2009 00:54 Edited 02-08-2009 01:08
Been adding to the TOY box and was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the Steel cased Wolf brand ammo. I've been told the newer stuff has molly coated steel cases and no longer uses the Lacquer. I had my Bushmaster M4 seize up in an awful way when the lacquer goo melted and froze a live round out of battery...hate it when that happens! Now, the new "heater" is a 100 round 9mm Calico carbine (now that's a fun gun!) and I've bought 200 rounds of new style Wolfs just to test them out.
People used to not trust the aluminum cases when they first appeared on the market, But I fired zillions of 9mm's and don't remember any out of the ordinary problems.

Now, we are all Metal Heads here and know that all metals are not created equal. I'm told the steel cases are a soft material and no harder on chambers/extrctor claws, etc. than brass.
Is there any way to test this thin of material for hardness??

So what is your take on cheap ammo???     And yes, i will be reloading soon...

BTW, it is an amazing piece of engineering, 100 9mm cartridges weigh more than the rifle.

If they want to come take my guns away from me...I'll give'em to them...right after I've given them ALL my bullets!
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 02-08-2009 03:45
I know what you mean about the laquered ammo, I had my dpms shread the extracter on some. My freind has been shooting the new Wolf ammo and loves it. You cant reload for the price. I shoot a bolt action and reload fussy stuff that gets neck sized 5 to 6 times before I let them fly out of the auto. Most of the time the chamber fit causes brittle cases to crack anyway so no loss. Dont know about long term storage on the cheap stuff though. I had some 6 year old 308 ammo get a little funky. I do store a fair amount from time to time. Cant always go out to South Dakota and pop dogs when I want. Which would be almost every day money permitting.

I suppose someday I will have to turn all of my lead in. One at a time.

Best of luck with the new ammo
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-08-2009 04:29
Are the steel cases reloadable?
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 02-08-2009 12:21
Most of that cheap ammo is Berdan primers, not any fun at all to remove and it takes special tools. The boxer primed ones would be a lot less labor. I have seen it done but you would most likely have to use carbide dies to get any life from the die. It takes a good leveraged reloader to get it done. But if a man has the time??
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-08-2009 16:20
I was never clear on why the lacquer was used. Years back, it was not used for steel cases. Then a pile of it was imported.
I would not shoot steel case anything out of an ar 15 design or an HK. however; I would shoot it all day long out of an FN FAL or AK design.
My only .223/5.56 is an AK84s pre 86.
For the most part, I am all 7.62x51. I bought a considerable amount of this back when I could get german manufacture boxer primed for 100 bucks a k, and LC for 156 for the same K.

for 9mm, I don't have anything less than +P loaded with the majority being +P+, so I stick to IMI or Glock for these which are designed for it.

The copper wash and or zinc wash works well for the limited amount of I've shot it.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-08-2009 17:02
time to start thinking in terms of components. Primers, lead, powder, brass, and of course a progressive press. Varget works well I'm 223 cases. I have a hornady lnl progressive, it's a real nice press for the cost. Don't waste your time on a lee. Dillons are very good but expensive, customer service second to none. A dillon 650 compares to the hornady.
I can load 100 rounds in 15 minutes on mine. My at will take brass 2-3 times before trimming. Usually.
By the way you can buy the federal black box 500 rounds for about 200 bucks. I won't use wolf myself.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-08-2009 17:55
Rio,
What is a Varget?
For short cases, the Lee does great for the money. If only loading 9, 40 and 45s I would have no hesitation with recommending it to anyone. I made 10's of thousands of 9mm with one. Once I moved up to .44mag, though, that was a different animal.  Too much slop in the turntable and the cases would get shavings peeled off. But since my 629 did not hold 15 at a time and I ain't near burley enough to rip out a couple hundred in a couple minutes...Rock chuckers rule for the big brass

My Dillon 550 is a dream come true. Spits out .40 S&Ws like a factory. Making 30-06 upto .300 Win Mag specs, almost...I'm not blowing up any more guns in my face..twice was enough.
I'll temp the Fates twice...3rd time could be the charmer. Ouch!

Oh yeah, I'm set up with a dozen die sets and enough components if all assembled could supply an invasion....
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-09-2009 02:02
Varget is a Rifle powder made by Hodgon, meters and shoots a real nice ar 15 load in 223.
We might have to differ on the lee. I had a loadmaster it was a trotline weight at best. Their O frame press is good for the money, but I have no experience with the other turret presses. Dies are alright for the recreational shooter.
I like the 550 for it's versatility, although caliber changes are a little expensive, but that is the price you pay for loading multiple calibers. I almost bought a Dillon 650 last year but I bought the Hornady LNL AP instead. I have been real happy with it for the cost difference.
I will say If money and quality are tops Dillon is it, they put a lot back into the shooting sports.
What powder do you use in your 40 S &W ? I use Unique and Hp 38, versatile and meter well.

Rob
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-09-2009 12:08
Now that the kids and ex's are gone, my thought process on the Dillon, (Browning, Swarovski etc.) is... as long as you get the best, you'll have fewer regrets. I just returned to shooting/reloading after a 10 year lag...so I'm not experinced yet with the new stuff. In the old days, (as is now so far) my main powder for small pistol is Unique (9mm 3.8 gr. 147gr with magnum primer is xlnt sub-sonic for a "hush-puppy" with some Ft./Lbs at the far end) The Thompson Contender .44mag H110 and H4227 for the XVR .460 S&W.

I made zillions of cartridges with that old Lee Turret bought it in 1984. Even a few .300 Win Mags, Ok I said a few then I found a heckuva deal on a RCBS
I see that Hp38 is a W231 clone which like Unique has a broad spectrum for hand guns. Since I'm familiar with and don't have any 231 on hand, might have to give the hp38 a try.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-09-2009 13:16
When you get ready to shellout for that new Dillon, go to www.brianenos.com, he is very knowledgeable and will steer you to the right Dillon. I have a buddy that has both 550 and 650, the 550 is manual index, casing inserts left side, take your hand off a handle insert bullet left side. I just didn't like a the fiddling. Seems like an over glorified turret press to me. Makes damn good ammo though. You can't get a rifle shell case feeder for it though only pistol.
The 650 is the caddilac though. It will be my next one more than likely. If you bought it and didn't like it you will still get your money out of it. Dillons have incredible resell value.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-09-2009 14:57
It's already here in my office. I rather prefer to have some "hands on" with my reloading to maintain focus. To date, I've never had a DUD or an unintentional hot load (made some screamers, locked up some actions...how else ya gonna know when to back off on the powder?).
Fortunately, I only have 1 rifle, a 30-06 and it rarely gets shot and never hunted with it. It is a Belgium Browning from the early '70s, closest thing I got to a collector.
I'll know when I'm rich because, I'll have a car I don't want to drive and a gun that's never gonna get fired.
But, yes, all the things you mentioned + and - were the reasons I weighed my choices and went for the 550. Money was Not a factor. And another thing is I always size/decap, polish, then use a hand primer and feel for the proper seat depth. I mainly just like having all my dies preset on their own individual tool racks ready to go with just minor adjustments when changing bullet shapes.

BTW...did I tell everyone Wolf ammo SUXXXX!!!!!!!
knew it would, but just had to prove it for myself
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-09-2009 18:42
Wolf ammo is sold to people to prove to themselves they should buy good ammo. Seriously, why put that crap through a good high dollar rifle.
Did I mention my new custom built at will be ready in two weeks? Varmints better be ready. Help let's all go shoot, seems there is nothing else to do.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-09-2009 19:32 Edited 02-09-2009 19:36
Rio,
Gonna break it in with some Wolf?? (ark,ark, ark...)
What caliber? action? BBL length?
Come on out to Billings, Mt... got more dirt dogs than people!
My next project don't start till 1st of March.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-09-2009 19:48
I might take up on that. Likewise if you get down my way.

I stayed with 223, 20" stainless, full float round fore end, full stock, all rock river parts. Lots of 20 round mags. I almost got it in 260, but I can load some pretty raunchy 223's.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-08-2009 17:32
My whole take on the wolf or other economy stuff was to gain familiarity with the gun, and this baby will quaff the ammo like a salted herd of cattle on the way to market!

The lacquer was probably used to prevent rust on the cases and to moisture-proof the powder and primer seals...military thing, but not U.S. specs for sure.
As far as reloading, I found a heck-uv-a deal on 1000 once fired 9mm brass for the bench-n-press work (Dillon 550 or similar progressive is the only way to go for hi-capacity "ammo eaters" and probably has enough push for .50BMG's).

Definately do not wish to spend the time prepping for Berdan Primerpockets.
Newest challenge will be Customizing 9mm loads for a carbine length barrel burns ie. slower powder. In the past, I made hundreds of test loads for 30-30 to pislol (10"barrel) and .44 mag to 10". Both. calibers eventually performed with hunting acceptable accuracy out to 300 yards, and yes the Thompson Contender did put meat in the freezer. Pistol hunting combines the stalk of the bow hunters with the knockdown power you only get with a well placed powerful bullet! Plus, the single shot gun means one shot, one drop...if not 10000% sure, I don't pull the trigger.

Ammo and reloading components are being priced to an inconvienient level (just whining, please do not turn this into another incessant political rant!)
Back in the '90s, we used to partner up and buy 1100 rnd lots of Norinco .223 for $105 bucks. After about 10 minutes with AR 15 and Mini 14 barrels smoking, the 3 of us would look at each other and say "That sure was FUN...now what?"
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 02-08-2009 23:07
My personal experiences with my bushmaster m-4 and mini-14 using wolf ammo make me never want to buy it again.  I found the accuracy was no wheres near the accuracy of the more expensive ammo.  I understand getting the occisonal "flyer" but with wolf I had quite a few.  I don't shoot competitive but I belive I'm only as good as the gun I'm shooting.  If your just shooting around making noise and having a good time and don't mind that then its upto you.  I can't, if I'm out shooting and someone wants to shoot long range I join.  I need to be confindent that my rifle and ammo can preform. 

I belive brass is softer and causes less damage over time on the bolt face but thats just what I've always been told.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 02-09-2009 03:20
The Black Hills ammo shoots out of both of my 223's very consistantly for the money. I hate shooting at 200+ yards and seeing shots that feel good fly off target. I never really owned an auto untill I got a 308 M4. Now I am enjoying them. They best part is putting on a whole different caliber for 400  bucks. I would like to shoot one of the 50 cal bolt uppers. Other than to say you owned one or doing some serious long range cant justify the coin. There is a 1000 yard range 20 miles from here but the waiting list to become a member is years long. Have to be happy shooting prarie dogs a couple of times a year.
Its hard to find the time to do a lot of shooting, someday.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 02-09-2009 03:29
.50 cal is awesome.  I have never shot a bolt action but have fired the m-2 .50cal machine gun through the army.  That is such a rush that it can't be described in words.  I don't see any way to justify spending the money on one for personal use.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-09-2009 12:53
Ever since they came out, I've had a burning desire to get a .50 single shot, but just too much $$$ for one toy plus ammo. Unfortunately, all my friends are cheapskates too!

Now one of those Quad 50's like the Mechanized Units in the Army had/has? That should take care of any prarie dog town!
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 02-09-2009 03:57
Here is were the real 50 cal. action is http://www.machinegunshoot.com/ you will see it all when it comes to fire power.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-09-2009 12:42
Broke out fun gun and burned up the 200 rnds of Wolfs. Mission was a success. Plenty of practice racking the bolt to remove the spent and primer dented failure to fire rounds! Ok, got that out of my system. Wolf is for the DOGS!

Went to 2 stores after the range. I've got more .223 ammo than both of them together! My gun salesman said Obama has boosted sales beyond belief, the one store was completely out of primers, and not sure when they could get restocked.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-09-2009 16:03
I saw one at my local gunshop last week. They were putting a 32 power leupold scope on it for the owner. The scope was almost 1400 bucks. Wow what a beast though.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2009 06:12
Rio,
Are you familiar with COOPER Rifles? Made here in Montana. Thinking about one in .223. They all come with a 1 hole 3 shot target at 50 yds. $1500 with no scope! Figure by the time the gunsmith does his magic with a new gun, it should ballance out. Scope and bipod, an even $2K. OK $3K if I go with Swarovski optics.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-18-2009 19:11
A nice fitting gun, wood is very clean. A little high to me for a bolt rifle. Their CEO is the guy who recently resigned because he supported Obama for president.
Take a look at the new remington varmint tactical (vtr).
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Wolf Ammo?