Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / wisdom of the past, a guide for the future.
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-09-2009 00:21
A few quotes from the past to consider in light of today's affairs least we forget the wisdom handed down to us, and repeat the mistakes already made.

Plato:

*Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
*The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.
*Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
*Those who are to smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.

Mark Twain:

*It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
*A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on it's shoes.
*The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

Lao tzu:

* A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
*He who knows others is wise; He who knows himself is enlightened.
*The more laws and order are made prominent; the more thieves and robbers there will be.
*Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Thomas Jefferson:

*Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.
* An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens.
*If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was, and never will be.
*When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Henry David Thoreau:
*I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach me, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
*Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.

Martin Luther King Jr.:

*the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challege and controversy.
*Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

And last but not least;

Albert Einstein:
* Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

/end quotes.

We continue to ask questions of why for nearly every matter of consternation before us. Yet we persevere in ignoring the road signs of wisdom painted by those who have already paid the price for the same kind of mistake. I can understand a lot of things, but I'll be damned if I can figure out why we continually do this to ourselves.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-09-2009 04:21 Edited 02-09-2009 18:21
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."

John Adams

"Neither the wisest Constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt."

Samuel Adams

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 02-09-2009 14:26
Dan Quayle

If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure.
I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.
For NASA, space is still a high prioroty

GW Bush

And there's no doubt in my mind, not one doubt in my mind that we will fail.
I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job.
I think we agree, the past is over
If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow.
I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking.

Monica Lewinsky

I've learned not to put things in my mouth that are bad for me.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 02-10-2009 02:23
Who was that that said ' A mind is a terrable thing to waist if you have one"? or how about "That depends on what the deffinition of is is"? Think about them quotes and smart minds.
Too bad she didnt think to wash her dress then old bill wouldnt have to lie.

We are all children by comparison.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-09-2009 20:32
You post reminds me of a video I watch recently

http://www.flixxy.com/political-systems.htm
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 02-09-2009 20:51
What about Pelosi's claim that 500 million American jobs will be lost every month? 
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-09-2009 22:50
That means the whole country will be out of work in less than a month. LOL
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-10-2009 05:57
    A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE KIND OF REPRESENTATION WE HAVE IN CONGRESS:

A noted psychiatrist was a guest speaker at an academic function where Nancy Pelosi happened to appear.  Ms Pelosi took the opportunity to schmooze the good doctor a bit and asked him a question with which he was most at ease.

'Would you mind telling me, Doctor,' she asked, 'how you detect a mental deficiency in somebody who appears completely normal?'

'Nothing is easier,' he replied.  'You ask a simple question which anyone should answer with no trouble.  If the person hesitates, that puts you on the track.'

'What sort of question?' asked Pelosi.

Well, you might ask, 'Captain Cook made three trips around the world and died during one of them.  Which one?''

Pelosi thought a moment, and then said with a nervous laugh, 'You wouldn't happen to have another example would you?  I must confess I don't know much about history.'

Parent - By uphill (***) Date 02-10-2009 09:53
Nice example. Is that like "Did you want to school or carry a lunch?" Sometimes simple isnt the question.
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 02-10-2009 13:30
Appearing on National Public Radio's light-hearted quiz show "Wait, Wait . . . Don't Tell Me," White House Press Secretaty Dana Perino got into the spirit of things and told a story about herself that she had previously shared only in private: During a White House briefing, a reporter referred to the Cuban Missile Crisis -- and she didn't know what it was

"I was panicked a bit because I really don't know about . . . the Cuban Missile Crisis," said Perino, who at 35 was born about a decade after the 1962 U.S.-Soviet nuclear showdown. "It had to do with Cuba and missiles, I'm pretty sure."

So she consulted her best source. "I came home and I asked my husband," she recalled. "I said, 'Wasn't that like the Bay of Pigs thing?' And he said, 'Oh, Dana.' "

Yeah Dana, it was like the Bay of Pigs thing. It is reassuring to know the White House Press Secretary is as stupid and ignorant as W.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 02-10-2009 23:20
Isnt it funny how the dumbing of america most likely starts by rewriting and deleting history in the schools? In a few more years there wont have been a holocost in Germany or chemical warfare in Iraq. Who cares about human rights anyway. America will just print up some more money and pay off the politicions, Oops we just did that.

Ever watch are you smarter than a fifth grader? It can be humbling. We learned geography, history(the real one) and enough math to make change.

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-11-2009 13:39
NEQA,
As opposed to a liberal who seems oblivious to the fact that his own candidate is already knee deep in lies about changing politics, eliminating pork spending, overcoming partisan politics, and balancing the budget. And this just happened.
It seems to me a bit strained for a person ignorant (emphasis on the prefix ignore)of recent events to attack someone ignorant (entirely unintended) of events 50 years ago and 10 years before she was born.  :>)
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 02-13-2009 13:22
The Cuban Missile Crisis is taught to school kids now and has been for several years.  My 11-year old neice has studied it in school. For an individual, whose job it is is to speak on behalf of the President of The United States and NOT know the history of the Cuban Missile Crisis is blantantly ignorant and stupid. Just as ignorant is to make excuses for those who were born after it occured and use that as excuse for their ignorance. There are millions of folks  who were born after Vietnam - but they know all about it. There are millions of folks who were born after WW I, but know all about it.  Evidently, it is your position that it is not necessary for any one to study history.  

If it is your goal in life to be an apologizer and lap dog for the ignorance and stupidity and perhaps even criminal activities of the administration that Perino spoke for, that is fine. Seeing as how now most americans favor bringing criminal charges against the previous administration, being a Bush lap dog speaks  volumes about you.

Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-13-2009 15:40
NEQA,
"Evidently, it is your position that it is not necessary for any one to study history."

Evidently?  Really? :)

Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 02-13-2009 16:47
I miss her. :(
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-11-2009 05:59
I READ YA LOUD-N-CLEAR (Gerald) GOOD BUDDY!!! ;) ;) ;) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / wisdom of the past, a guide for the future.