Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding On Car
- - By Esjay Date 04-23-2003 02:47
If I use an electric welder to weld the exhaust system on my car, is there any chance of doing damage to the car`s elec. system or the computer? Would it be a good idea to disconnect the car`s battery.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-23-2003 04:13
One hears many opinions on this. I (knock wood) have never had any trouble and all I do is be careful to ground close to where I am working and to the piece I am working on. The service department for your brand of car would be the best authority for this.
Bill
Parent - - By John T. (*) Date 04-23-2003 04:56
I too have had very good "luck" in this area, always very small repairs and loacalized ground. I've been told by some that I should disconnect my battery, on the other hand the old timer at the muffler shop told me something to the effect of " I've been doin this since before you were meessin your diapers boy" so I think that means he trusts his own judgement.

You decide, it does only take a minute to disconnect though.
Parent - - By haybine Date 04-23-2003 12:55
i'll bet that old timer at the muffler shop will "mess" in his pants when that 1 in 100 chance or whatever will set off the computer system on the auto he welding on. better to be safe than sorry with these expensive electronic computer systems nowadays. some computers in auto can cost upwards of many hundreds of $$ and it ain't no fun to replace them. i disconnect batterys on any auto or farm machinery before welding. just takes a minute to do.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-23-2003 14:32
I have always undone the battery cable( one is all that is required), before welding up exhaust pipe or hangers. Yes, I would keep the ground close by the joint to be welded. I have welded on these new cars and trucks without incident, and so far everything in the car works when reconnected. The computers work off such small currents that a small spike is all it takes to smoke one. Remember that the O2 sensor is located in the exhaust system and is connected to the computer. I even go so far as to unplug the alternator before jumping off someone with a dead battery(for the same reason). Small measures of caution will save lots of money.
John Wright
Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 04-23-2003 20:28
I agree with John on this one,with todays "computerised" cars' who wants to take the risk of "frying" their cars brain,for the sake of 5 mins.
with a 10mm spanner!
By the way,never try to weld on,or near the "cat" section of the exhaust as it will nearly always destroy it!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 04-23-2003 22:18
Welding takes place on the back of rigs routinely. FWIW
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 04-24-2003 02:38
very true...what about all those welding rigs w/ vices bolted to the back of them w/ guys welding pieces together?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2003 11:41
Guys, that's a little different situation, where the welding machine sits on the back of the truck and the truck's bed is part of the welding circuit along with the vise. You even have 120v outlets on some of those beds as well, and all are grounded through the bed back to the welding machine/generator.

I just like to take certain precautions when welding on somebody else's vehicle. I can't afford to buy computers for cars that I might weld a hanger clamp or muffler on for them. $20 welding job that ends up costing me a couple hundred does not seem like a good business practice.
I was just giving a word of caution that was worthy of noting,
Have a good day,
John Wright
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 04-24-2003 12:14
i am with ya john....it only takes a minute to disconnect the battery
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding On Car