Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / EMT Conduit
- - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-25-2003 01:24
I was looking at some 3/4" conduit at Home Depot the other day and wondering about using it to weld up a small soccer/hockey goal for my son. Obviously there is no load concern and since he'll probably climb on it and break it anyway (he's 5) so I would just as soon use something cheap & easy to bend rather than steel tube.

Anything I need to know about welding it? I know the fumes are pretty harsh so I would do it outside.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-25-2003 02:48
I welded a chicken pen out of 3/4" EMT conduit and found it quite challenging and sometimes aggravating. The material is very thin and the zinc doesn't help. I found it much easier to flatten the ends before welding them as opposed to contouring them to fit on the other piece.

I used 3/32" 6011 and 1/16" 6013. I liked the 6011 better because of its ability to volitize the zinc but I wish I had them in 5/64" or 1/16".

I have been told that the zinc can be removed with some type of acid that can be purchased at the hardware store. I may try that in combination with GTAW. The fumes are strong and should be avoided. I wore a welding respirator but a good fan coould do the same thing.

When I was done MY son asked me to make him a soccer goal for the yard.

The finished chicken pen may give you an idea for the goal.

Here is a picture

http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/chickenpen.htm

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-25-2003 04:03
PVC pipe is light strong and easy to fabricate. The conduit can be torch brazed without undue difficulty.
Bill
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2003 10:54
Good Morning Gerald, haven't seen you for a day or two. Hey, neat coup, that ought to keep those chicks in the yard.
Dirt Rider, I've had success brazing with oxy/fuel like Bill said, and also did a decsent job with .030 FCAW-S. The stuff is thin and I don't like the zinc either. Let us know how your project comes out.
John Wright
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-25-2003 14:12
Thanks everyone, can always count on a few good, quick answers. I thought about the PVC pipe, but I'm still trying to convince my wife the welder is useful tool. :)

I think I'm going to have to add an O/A torch outifit to the garage pretty soon. I keep putting it off, but then I find I need one and don't have one!!
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 04-25-2003 14:15
I guess sometimes justification is needed for the money spent on tools......I have mine convinced that I need tools to fix tools :)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2003 18:08
Now you need a tubing notcher to add to your collection of tools ;)
John Wright
Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-25-2003 23:21
A buddy of mine dropped by the other night with a garage sale find, a practically new Sears Craftsmen lawn edger for $15! He's looking around my garage, "man you got a lot of stuff, looks like United Rentals in here!" I said that's exactly how I aquired most of it, pointing to his edger deal.

Unfortunately, much like the welder, I don't think the bender & tubing notcher are going to show up at someone's garage sale. I think I'm going with the JD2 for both though. Seems to be the best product for the money.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-25-2003 23:48
I call it the chicken hilton. I did get many points for the welded conduit over the PVC. Also a 10 ft span of 3/4" PVC sags much more than that same size of conduit.

I have been indentured into the BM union and have been working an outage at a power plant nearby so I haven't been here much.

Have a good day

G Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / EMT Conduit