Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question about welding
- - By martymoat Date 04-27-2003 03:10
i would imagine you can have steel welded to aluminum but am wondering what somthing like this cost and is it somthing that you can find people that know how to do it?
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 04-27-2003 03:59
nope...impossible to weld aluminum to steel. they're 2 very different substances...steel contains carbon and aluminum does not. in fact, if any carbon mixes w/ aluminum it weakens it. also, the melting point of both materials is too far apart to do any good welding. the only way to attach the two would be by brazing or silver soldering, but i'm not sure if that would even hold very well. or you could try bolting the 2 materials.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-27-2003 20:39
There are kits you can buy for joining dissimilar metals but I think it is rare that you might need something like this.

Brian Maas
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-27-2003 22:19
Explosion Welding is a process used to join aluminum to carbon steel. The welding handbook volume 2 Chapter 24 8th edition has an informative section on this process. In addition to aluminum. Titanium, gold, silver copper and other metals are listed.

Here is a company that actually performes these operations.

http://www.dynamicmaterials.com/clad/clad.htm

Good Day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-28-2003 15:09
You can only weld steel to aluminum using a solid state process, such as explosion welding, friction welding, etc.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-28-2003 15:37
I've never had to join the two, so it never crossed my mind whether it could be done or not.
Good post,
John Wright
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-28-2003 15:47
Something to think about.

At what temp does Steel melt?
At what temp does Alluminum melt?

Most folks think of welding as a Homoginise blend of materials.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question about welding