Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / $1,000,000 Insurance Policey Required for Gun Owners
- - By Jssec (**) Date 02-19-2009 22:31
From the Land of Lincoln

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=687&GAID=10&SessionID=76&LegID=41158

Bill Status of HB0687  96th General Assembly,  FIREARM OWNERS ID-INSURANCE, Rep. Kenneth Dunkin

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that any person who owns a firearm in this State shall maintain a policy of liability insurance in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Provides that a person shall be deemed the owner of a firearm after the firearm is lost or stolen until such loss or theft is reported to the police department or sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the owner resides. Provides that the Department of State Police shall revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under this Act if the Department finds that the person to whom such card was issued possesses or acquires a firearm and does not submit evidence to the Department of State Police that he or she has been issued in his or her name a liability insurance policy in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Effective January 1, 2010.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-19-2009 22:58
guess they'd end up kicking me out of state if i lived there
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 02-19-2009 23:10
As it is now All Illinois residents who buy or possess firearms are required by law to have a valid FOID card.

Firearm Owner's Identification Information 

In 1968, Illinois enacted legislation to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public by providing a system of identifying persons who are not qualified to acquire or possess firearms and firearm ammunition within the State of Illinois. The Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) Act established a practical and workable system to identify persons prohibited by Section 24-3.1 of the "Criminal Code of 1961" as amended, from acquiring or possessing firearms and firearm ammunition. The Illinois State Police was given the responsibility of administering the Act.

There are approximately 1.2 million valid FOID card holders. Approximately 210,000-220,000 applications are processed annually by the Firearms Services Bureau. In 2002, 4,642 applications were denied and 6,926 FOID cards were revoked as a result of the extensive review process which identifies individuals whom are prohibited from possessing or acquiring firearms and firearm ammunition.

All Illinois residents who buy or possess firearms are required by law to have a valid FOID card. FOID applications can be obtained from any firearm's dealer, law enforcement agency, or printed from the Internet. FOID cards are valid for 10 years from the date of issuance. To obtain a FOID card, complete an application and forward it along with a $10.00 fee and a photograph to the Illinois State Police, Firearm Owner's Identification Unit, Post Office Box 19233, Springfield, Illinois 62794-9233.
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 02-20-2009 01:54
look s like they are forcing all gun owners to go criminal!
Parent - - By mjjjracing (*) Date 02-20-2009 02:16
Seems like there is a lot of attention on the "wonderful state of Illinois" right now with corrupt government ECT,Ill stay in the Rocky Mnts with my guns loaded, up in the mountains,hope you all agree,Jim
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-20-2009 03:43
[deleted]
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-20-2009 05:23
I like mj's idea you can see them coming for miles in the city it's a surprise got room for 1 more to go with ya if things dont change soon i'll need a place to lay my head the mountains sounds like a good place
Parent - By mjjjracing (*) Date 02-20-2009 13:56
We got plenty of room,come on up anytime
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-23-2009 20:09
I got my FOID card and it expires in 2012.  I wonder if it will even still be good after 2010 or do I need to go this new route I wonder?  Oh well, I only shoot there every so often so I'll just play dumb if anyone ever says anyhting.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-21-2009 00:12
that place should change it's license plate from Land of Lincoln to the Land of Khrushchev.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / $1,000,000 Insurance Policey Required for Gun Owners