Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / ammunition?
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-20-2009 20:55
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been having a time trying to find ammunition, reloading supplies, and anything related.
9mm target used to be 130.00 a k now it's 225.00 at the cheapest place I could find. .45acp per K is now floating between 279.00 and 350.00 if you can get it.
There is no surplus ammo I can find.
Anyone have any leads on something better than what I've listed?
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-20-2009 21:34
At wal mart Gerald they have it all and customer satisfaction is garunteed or your money back lol just kidding i found a website once that had all kinds of ammo and supplies for dirt cheap if i remember right you could get 1,000 rounds of 9mm ammo for around 150.00 in an ammow box i'll see what i can find i had it in favorites but for some reason AOL wont let me see my favorites it's been that way for months who knows
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 02-21-2009 14:35
"Cheaper than Dirt.com"  maybe???

Griff
Parent - By leterburn (**) Date 02-20-2009 21:36
ammoman.com - is where I've bought from before - not sure if they're still rolling but they had some better deals on surplus from time to time.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 02-20-2009 21:40
One place that always has lots of reloading is www.gunstop.com located in Minnesota but they do a huge amount of web sales.
Good luck. If I see some at the gun show on saturday I will get contact info.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-20-2009 22:08
Nothing in 9mm .45acp etc available for reloading, and what is listed, brass is nearly as much as loaded rounds. It's getting bad.
.308 is running 80 cents a round. It's getting to suck.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 02-21-2009 10:43
here is a internet warehouse, 9mm 500 for $123 or 1000 for $244 reman ammo.45 acp 1000 rounds for $269 Winchester. They also had some 308 1000 rounds of short range ammo for $179 (never seen those before).
Its www.sportsmansguide.com  I have bought ammo there before it was good stuff.

Dave
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-21-2009 16:41
269 is a good price, unfortunetly, they tell me it's back order and not expecting delivery until march 23'rd and also state that it may not come in at all. Thanks for the link though.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-20-2009 22:05
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-20-2009 22:12
We'd better all start thinking about this. The supreme court may have give us a short term break, but the firearms are no better than a stick without ammunition to shoot in them.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-21-2009 00:05
BINGO!!! He said he would not take our guns, but he did not say he would let us have ammo for them.

jrw159
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 02-28-2009 21:53
I heard back in Nov 08 that the 'tax' on ammo and reloading supplies was going up 300%-- and I think everyone in the area herard the same thing. I have always kept my old brass to reload, but the price of supplies has tripled.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-21-2009 02:27
yeah i know you got me to thinking i found some good deals on 147 grain 9mm hollow points i plasy for keeps no prisoners
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-28-2009 19:43
Midway doesn't still offer reload supplies? I'll check...
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-28-2009 19:47
Midway has .45 acp brass...
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-28-2009 19:48
i dont know i just buy it loaded i dont have the equip to reload nor the patience
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-01-2009 04:39
Yeah Midway still sells it - when they have it.  I just got a UPS delivery yesterday but I had to settle for what was available when I orderded.

It used to be that the popular calibers were harder to get during the winter months.  (I figured that was due to competetive shooters loading up a years worth during their slow season.)  This year though its going much deeper and longer. 

A number of people I know are taking up bullet casting so they'll have projectiles when it gets really difficult.  I'm thinking of making up a .375 caliber wildcat for revolvers, or maybe even autoloaders, so I can use copper tubing as jacket material.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-01-2009 04:50
The mold I have for 38 cal. semi wadcutters accepts a gas check. This alows a little more velocity than You would use with a plain lead slug. I still never used them with hot loads.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-02-2009 00:23
The copper tube idea has already been done. I ues a sea girt press http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=Seapress
I had a problem with the off the shelf material, what worked for water piping didn't work so good for bullet jackets. It ends up being to thick.
I use spent 22 long rifle for making .223 bullets. In that you have to be careful which brand/load you use. The ones designed for average loads tend to be a bit thin.
Cobin linked below:
http://www.corbins.com/fjfb-3.htm
Has some very good information.
What i experienced with the copper tubing specifically was if your buying it down at lowes/homedepot ect the average grain structure and chemical breakdown is all over the map, which leads to a host of annealing and or hardness problems. It works great for it's intended purpose to run water through it, but if your going to be making bullets you need to order material to a standard in bulk with associated test results. http://www.astm.org/Standards/B130.htm B130 materials is a good standard, and the material ordered to it makes excellent bullets. Just remember it's not cost effective to order small quanities.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-02-2009 02:08
This is probably just wishful thinking on my part - I may never get a "round tuit" - but the first thing I think is to build the .375 wildcat for a revolver.  I'm not thinking about a 375 JDJ in an Encore- that's a bit bigger than I want anyway.  I'm thinking more of a 375 Winchester case trimmed down to make a straight wall cartridge that fits well in a S&W N frame.  30-30 cases could work but the brass is thinner which is why Winchester didn't simply neck up 30-30s when they developed the 375 Win cartridge for lever actions.

It seems that someone had done what I described some years back.  375 USA is the name comes to mind but I've never seen anything but a short blurb on it many years ago - and I'm not even sure it actually ever existed.  It wasn't a factory chambering at any rate.

I'm not sure a 375 revolver cartridge would have any advantage over a  44 or 41 magnum.  It just seemed that if I ever had to resort to making my own jacketed bullets, .375 would be an easy size to work with and it would be fun to do. But I bearly have enough time to shoot what I have and a safe place to shoot is getting harder to find here in the Northeast.

If and when I ever get to it, I will remember your advice.  I especially appreciate the Sea Press link.  Never heard of them before.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 03-02-2009 03:11
I got on a big hole kick awhile ago and bought a 50 AE Desert eagle. After about $300 worth of ammo and a lot of unhappy horsey neiborfolk I went out and got the 357 kit for it thinking that it would cycle light loads. Wrong, it would only cycle with hot & heavy loads. Since my vision is failing about as fast as my hairline I switched to the AR platform.Afterall 30 rounds of 308 beats 10 of 357 anyday.  The big 375 wildcat could be lots of fun anyhow. I always wanted to build a 50cal or bigger bolt action, I even went as far as to buy a air force surplus air cooled barrel. The cost of having someone machine out the parts was $$$$$$$$$$. I see that one can buy a 50 cal upper for the AR that looks very nice. Not much diff in the money though.

I wonder about the 410 revolvers, suppose a cyl of slugs would be a good varment remover?

Good luck on the big dog, hope you get er done.
Dave
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 02-28-2009 21:51
noticed it around here before the new year.. Had to be one of the first in line at the local gun shows to have a chance at anything. And it was twice the price.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / ammunition?