Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Is there an AWS code to plug misplaced
- - By Don Fennell Date 04-28-2003 19:31
I have 8, 1.25" holes in 2" plate that need to be filled in 10 plates. Is there a specific code other than in AWSD1.1 #5.26.5 and C5.26.5
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 11:17
Hi Don,
It might be cheaper to replace the (10) 2" plates than to fill 80 holes. Then you might be like us and always are against the wire for delivery and don't have time to wait for more plate to arrive. I've seen this done a couple of ways, I'm not sure which is the preferred method. I've seen the holes slugged with the same grade material and then backgouged to take out the line on the second side and filled back flush. Or filled completely with filler material and be careful not to trap slag(this way takes a little longer). Either way, as long as you end up with sound welds, that should be sufficient. Need a WPS written for the way you choose to repair and NDT the repairs to verify soundness. Hope I answered you question. Oh yeah, get your repair idea approved in writing by the EOR to cover your butt.

If anyone else has an idea, I too, would love to hear it.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 11:34
After reading your post again, you asked about code/spec. Do your contract documents give you a code to fabricated by? If so, that should be the governing code(usually D1.1). Then I would say that you have referenced the right paragraph for your repair of mis-located holes.

Is there anyone who can set anchorbolts correctly anymore? We have laser levels and all sorts of fancy tools that the old guys years ago didn't have but now we can't seem to get anchorbolts set right anymore.

We have a job in the shop now that has the anchor pattern set 90 degrees off from the anchorbolt setting plan and now we have to fix these W14 x 550 bracing columns by cutting off the 4 3/4" thick baseplates and rotating them 90 degrees to match the mis-located anchorbolts.(oops, "anchor rods") For some reason it's not as much fun to weld these the second time.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 11:47
For filling the holes completely with filler, see paragraph 5.25.1.1, I think this would cover filling the holes if you use a non-fusible backing and clean the second side of the weld.
John Wright
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 04-29-2003 12:08
John,
I think section 5.25.1.1 is for plug welds, which is essentially what he would be doing for the repair. But section 3.10.1 has a diameter limitation that he does not meet for plug welds.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 12:21
I was referring to the filling method described in 5.25.1.1 rather than using a "plug weld" as the code intended in 3.10.1 thru 3.10.3.
Sorry for the confusion by not explaining myself completely,
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 12:25
See commentary on C5.26.5 for further explanation of what I was saying.
John Wright
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 04-29-2003 12:03
Don,
You are correct, Sections 5.26.5 and C5.26.5
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2003 11:13
Wildturkey,
Thanks for your help with that one,
John Wright
Parent - - By Don Fennell Date 04-29-2003 20:29
One of my welders said there is a AWS code calling out a procedure where you oversize the hole according to the thickness of the plate then you can fill weld. But I have never read this procedure in AWS any where.
I thank all of you for your help
Don
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-01-2003 01:21
Don, I'm at home right now with no access to my code books but I believe the allowance is to enlarge the hole to the material thickness plus 5/16". Not sure is that is from D1.1 or D1.5.
Another method we have used is to countersink the holes to the degree necessary to allow the welding electrode access to the root AND to the side walls. That method required sketching what we wanted to do and sending it to the engineer for approval. Of course, UT was also required to prove the soundness of the repair.
Anyway, if something is not specifically allowed by a code, it doesn't hurt to propose an alternative. The worst that will happen is it won't be accepted.
Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Is there an AWS code to plug misplaced