Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Table questions.
- - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-29-2003 14:13
I've got my frame all built, wheels & all and getting ready to put the 3/8" top on. 36x48....Man, that thing is HEAVY!!

Wondering about mounting an electrical plug-in bar on the table and keeping my angle grinder, drill & bench grinder stored underneath, plugged in. Then just attaching the one extension cord for everything when I pull the table out for a project. Will this cause me any electrical problems since I'm welding and grounding on the same table?? I don't have a lot of garage space to just leave all this stuff out and handy on a separate bench.

Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 14:48
Your table top weighs around 183.72 lbs all by itself. I know what you're trying to accomplish with the extension cord, but can I suggest using something like a SJ rubber cord with the proper size conductors to handle that equipment? I think once you wire it to a breaker that will handle the loads, you'll be happier with it. Also, I would ground the table to an earth ground so that the third wire in your outlets will work like it is supposed to.
John Wright
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 04-29-2003 14:49
I hate to be the one person that says you'll have problems. There are a lot of people out there that lay the grinders and other electrical tools on the welding bench with no problems. But being a welding instructor I *have* seen the grinder/saw/drill arc off and become a pile of burnt and useless trash simply by being on the table. The ground wasn't connected properly, it had slag between the jaws, paint, rust, an unending number of reasons.

A rubber mat under the tools on the storage shelf could be a safety precaution. Then again, that could be a possible fire hazard.

If the electrical outlet / extension cord has a metal box that is attached to the table...

Oh, the concerns of an instructor.
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-29-2003 17:51
Thanks guys! Well, as I expected it doesn't really sound like a good idea. I certainly don't need to risk toasting any of my tools for a simple convenience.

Ya John, that's about what I figured it weighed after horsing it around a little. Is this going to be overkill??? I mean, I see guys using these ladder type tables made with angle iron that would be lighter weight. But, I do want to mount a vice on this and use it as a general work table that I can pull out. My wood work bench is sort of small and has become more of a catch-all. I thought about 1/4", but it seems alot of guys are using 1/2" and thicker in some cases so I compromised. I do plan on some gas welding & cutting too.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 18:06
Stever,
An ounce of prevention......
There's no need for apologizing.
DR,
Personally, I like a heavy table for beating and banging on. I use my vise to clamp things in when I'm trying to loosen something and naturally I'm pulling hard and don't want the thing walking all over the place. But to each his own. I think the 3/8" will hold up better than the 1/4" stuff. You'll be able to tack things to it and go back when you are done and grind the tacks back off with out hurting the top too bad, etc...
Sounds like a good table for you.
John Wright
Parent - - By amalgam (*) Date 04-29-2003 18:16
I will start soon my welding table and I have been thinking about using 1/4" top and reinforce it with either plates or square tubing underneath. Wondering if this will add something helpful to this subject.
Alfredo
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 18:39
The 1/4" top will weigh somewhere around 10.21 lbs /square foot vs the 3/8" weighing in at 15.31 lbs. / square foot(3'x4'=12 sqft = 122.52 lbs.)
John Wright
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-29-2003 19:42
Alfredo, I used 1 1/2", 14ga. square tubing for the legs, 2" x 1/8" angle for the support of the top, then the lower shelf I used 1" x 1/8" angle and some 14ga. sheet metal for the shelf. I would have just used the tubing for everything but I had the other stuff on hand.
Parent - - By amalgam (*) Date 04-30-2003 02:38
how long are the legs including the casters or wheels? I have seen several plans and they recomend 36" pieces for the legs, however I have seen very tall casters and I do not know what would be a standard measure.
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 04-30-2003 12:03
I find that I no longer like the 36" tall table. By the time that I stand looking down at it for several hours I get a pain in the neck.

Two of my newest tables that I have at school are 42" from floor to table top including casters.

The fab table that I have at my home shop is 40"x60"x1/2" with 3"x3"x1/4" square tube frame with 3" schedule 40 legs. I'm using automobile floor jacks that have wheels to move the table.
Parent - By amalgam (*) Date 04-30-2003 16:34
Boy the automobile floor jacks is a good idea. In fact, since I do not have too much space in my garage either, I am designing a table that has a detachable unit for my welder/gas bottle, so I can store and move everything together and separate them when I am ready to weld. I was thinking about using a jack, so I am glad that you already have the experience with them.
Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-30-2003 12:04
I've also seen a lot of different height recommendation for welding tables...from 30" for sitting & gas welding on up. I'm 6'1" so I went for a 36". I cut the legs 35", but I'm using side mount wheels from an old two wheeler dolly for the rear and nothing on the front. I put the rear wheels higher up the leg so there is only like 3/4" of height difference between the front & back. I'm not too keen on the casters at this point, I want it to be pretty firm so I can pound on it and bend on it. I left enough leg at the bottom, below the lower shelf, that if I decided down the road to do casters I would just hack the legs down and add casters. If you're just welding on it and want caster then get them first before you cut. I'll snap a few pics of mine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Table questions.