Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Duties
- - By tncwi (*) Date 04-29-2003 11:45
Okay, after recently passing the CWI exam I got back to my plant and all of the sudden our QC manager thinks that a CWI writes all the welding procedures, and basically enything at all that goes along with welding. Does anyone have a list of duties that a CWI is not required to perform.

Thanks,
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2003 12:04
I'm not sure that I have ever seen a list of duties that a CWI is not to perform. I get handed alot of projects that have nothing to do with being a CWI. If you find this list, send me a copy too.

Cheer up, You are not alone, alot of us feel overworked and underpaid. The manager now has someone to hand off some work to now, where as before you aquired your CWI, he probably had all those duties to do by himself. You are now worth more to him and the company by becoming a CWI.
John Wright
Parent - By John T. (*) Date 04-30-2003 03:48
I agree with Mr. Wright, your QC mngr. has someone whom he feels has legitimate knowledge that will help not only him but the company as well. I'm sure you already have a platefull of responsibilities, but it's always good to stretch yourself just a little.

(P.S.) Your still employed, so if your boss is any thing like mine he will determine your responsibilities, CWI or not.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-30-2003 10:59
Those duties are a small portion of what a CWI may come across. In most quality assurance departments I have seen. Being a CWI is a very SMALL part of the overall job. This is based on experience in the custom fabricated steel, Boiler & PV, and Piping fabrication industries.

If you are the ONLY CWI at an organization, you are probably expected to be the most knowledgable individual in areas related to the welding performed. And that of course is to be expected.

Be careful about performing any activities that may be those that are the responsibility of the engineer. In most cases an Engineer is NOT required for preparing a WPS but I think it is a good idea to have the WPS and supporting PQR reviewed by a competent technical authority to assure that it is suitable for the intended application.

The unexpected extra duties you have are an opportunity to refine your ability to pass the CWI exam into skills that may become very valuable.

I think an individual shouldn't perform any duties that are in violation of

1 the code of ethics for CWI's
2 your companies quality manual and organizational structure
3 project specifications
4 anything that involves deception

If you come across assigned tasks that you are not familar with performing. Let your supervisor know.

If the workload becomes hard to manage ad overwhelming bacause some of the tasks assigned are not familar to you. Let someone know.

I hope this helps a little

Gerald Austin
Iuka Mississippi
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2003 11:08
Don't be afraid to ask questions here in this forum. There are lots of knowledgable people that monitor the posts (in case I give an answer that isn't totally correct) and are eager to jump in and help where they can. Most of the time you will get enough responses to make up your mind about something you ask about. Besides that, we all get to learn as we are reading and commenting on the various posts.
John Wright
Parent - - By tncwi (*) Date 04-30-2003 14:12
Thank you all for the input and help on this subject. It is just that all of the sudden since i received my CWI the Quality manager is trying to make it look as if it is the CWI's responsibility to write WPS's and any other paper work that goes along with welding in any way shape or form. I do not have a problem doing this, I think he is just trying to find a way to show that he would have been the better choice for the CWI.

Sorry if i sound like i am complaining.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-30-2003 14:54
I made the mistake of telling the QA Manager on a Paper Machine Rebuild Project that the CWI exam was very easy and anyone that had any interest in welding and QC should be able to pass it. An incorrect and arrogant statement on my part said only to my own ego.

I never got ANY overtime. All of my inspection involved a pipe rack. The other 3 inspectors seldom came off the ground. I inspected 3000 welds in a month compared to the 3000 or so inspected by the rest of the inspectors combined. I indicated I needed OT or would have to go. I couldn't get any. I told them I would give them 2 weeks notice to replace me. They indicated it wouldn't matter if I gave em notice or not so I quit.

All of my my ratings for knowledge and ability to perform my job were unsatisfactory. I could understand "reliability" being low but not the others.

From what I gathered from other employess, the QA Manager had taken the test 2 or 3 times. I have now supplemented some of my technical knowledge with some "life experience knowledge". And tried to be more aware of other points of view.

I know this type of situation can be disheartening. You can't change some things but you can change how you perceive them.

Jelousy, envy, pride, ego are all bad things in my book because those are things " of whom I am chief." or was. Avoid growing into them and learn how to notice them.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2003 14:58
Actually there is a list of "Duties of a Welding Inspector" that AWS has put together. If you remember from your CWI exam a book published by AWS- AWS QC1:96, it states the following:
4.2 Duties
The welding Inspector's specific duties are defined by the employer; however, applicants shall be able to demonstrate their abilities to perform the following duties:
4.2.1 Interpet drawings and other documents.
4.2.2 Verify that the base materials and consumable welding materials conform to the specifications and that welding filler metals used are as specified for each base material or combination of base materials.
4.2.3 Verify that the welding equipment to be used for the work is appropriate for use with the welding procedure and has the capability to meet the applicable requirements of the welding procedure.
4.2.4 Verify that the welding procdures are as specified and are qualified, and thatthe welding is performed in conformance to the applicable procedure.
4.2.4.1 Witness performance and testing of procedure qualification test assemblies, or supervise these activities when performed by outside agencies.
4.2.4.2 Verify documentation of procedure qualification test results.
4.2.5 Verify that welders, welding operators, and tack welders have been qualified in conformance to the applicable standards, and that they are qualified to use the welding procedures specified for the work.
4.2.5.1 Witness testing of the welder test assemblies and/or welding operator qualification test assemblies, or superivise these activities when performed by outside agencies.
4.2.5.2 Verify documentation of performance qualification test results.
4.2.5.3 Require requalification if there is evidence the welder's or welding operator's work does not conform to the requirements of the applicable standard.
4.2.5.4 Require requalification if the welder's or welding operator's qualification is not current.
4.2.6 Inspection of work
4.2.6.1 Verify that only approved or qualified welding procedures are used for the work.
4.2.6.2 Verify that the edge preparation or joint geometry meet the requirements of the welding procedure and drawings.
4.2.6.3 Verify that the specified filler metals are used and that the filler metals are maintained in proper condition, per requirements, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
4.2.6.4 Verify that the technique and performance of each welder or welding operator, and tack welder are as specified.
4.2.6.5 Verify that the work conforms to requirements of the applicable standards, drawings, or other documents.
4.2.6.6 Verify that the work inspected is identified and documented in accordance with specified reqyuirements.
4.2.7 Nondestructive Examination
4.2.7.1 Perform the required visual examinations.
4.2.7.2 Verify that the required visual and other nondestructive examinations have been performed by qualified personnel in the specified manner. Review the resulting information to ensure that the results are complete.
4.2.7.3 Perform any further nondestructive examinations that are required, provided qualifications are in conformance to the specified requirements.
4.2.8 Records
4.2.8.1 Prepare clear and concise reports and verify that the records of the welding procedure, the welding procedure qualification, the welder's, welding operator's and tack welder's qualifications, the control of welding materials, and the results of examinations are maintained.
<<Whew,>> (quote from AWS, mis-spellings and typo's are mine)
John Wright
Parent - - By jfolk (**) Date 04-30-2003 19:45
Just let Dale know that you will assist him in any question or concerns he may have about the CWI exam and preparation for the next one.
Parent - By tncwi (*) Date 04-30-2003 20:08
Who?
Parent - By WBI (*) Date 04-30-2003 14:17
A general point of interest to all. The QC manager is usually the least liked person in any shop because no one wants to hear that they might be doing something wrong. The QC is supposed to work within the scope of the Quality Control Manual and be separated production. This makes for an easy target when production is slowed. Of course, the QC manager is being watched too. Want someone who is disliked by EVERYONE, including the QC? Try being the outside Quality Assurance rep.

Quality management in any situation is never a popular position, but it's necessary for a company to produce work that will help keep the business running. Funny ain't it...quality, qualification and qualified all come from the same word.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Duties