Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / flare bevel measurement
- - By firstpass (**) Date 03-03-2009 06:19
PRINT IS DETAILED FOR FILLET WELD AND ACTUAL IS A FLARE BEVEL.  I INSPECT TO PRINT SO THERE WILL BE NEED FOR MORE WELD METAL TO MEET DETAIL.  I  AM HEARING THE ARGUMENT THAT THERE IS MORE METAL IN THE FLARE BEVEL THAN A FILLET SO IT MEETS THE CRITERIA.  HOW IS A FLARE BEVEL MEASURED PROPERLY?   HOW MUCH OF THE RADIUS DO YOU ATTEMPT TO FILL.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MEASURE .
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-03-2009 17:34
You measure it in 2 ways.

First, fill the joint to flush condition.  Then you calculate the effective weld size as you see in D1.1 Figure 3.3.

The 2nd way, fit-up a mock-up joint to exactly what you will be welding, weld as you plan on doing in production, then cut it to reveal the weld cross section.  You can measure the throat from that.

It would seem that filling in a flare-bevel joint would provide more weld metal than a fillet weld will.  And that is true, partially.  The problem is that the throat, or thinnest part of the weld, might not even equal what you get with a fillet.  In effect, you get a wide weld, but maybe not as thick a weld.

Since a fillet weld was detailed for what is actually a flare bevel, you might want to kick it back to the engineer for clarification.  Then you don't have to figure anything out.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-04-2009 11:14
Unfortunatly, it is very common for detailers/ engineers to incorrectly call for a fillet weld symbol, when the condition is a flare bevel.  They must not take the radius of the parts into account.  When I point this out to them, they always change it.  I would agree with the post above.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-05-2009 03:13
2.3.1.4 gives the effective size of flare groove welds when filled flush also see table 2.1
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / flare bevel measurement